“Disappointing”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Arthurstown
Cork, Ireland
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here two nights last week ...rooms are class and very comfortable but the food is way off ...we thought with owner being such an accomplished chef that we would be blown away but sadly it was the total opposite !! Bar food not too bad but the restaurant was just awful beef for two was more than likely the fattiest pice of beef that we ever saw in our lives how Mr.Dundon can put his name as executive chef to this actually beggars belief !! The cereals tasted stale in the morning as for the local bar ...everyone told us we should eat there as the food is better !! I actually couldn't recommend this place as a romantic or gastric place to visit ..it's really a pity with such scenic surroundings ...staff very friendly bedrooms are lovely but sadly for the cost the food is a huge let down.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Seanban
AdrianRoss73, Manager at Dunbrody Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for posting your thoughts regarding your recent stay with us. We do check with all our guests during their stay if everything was to their satisfaction as we feel it's important to get it right! On this occasion we may have fallen short of the mark.
I would be delighted to welcome you back to Dunbrody Country House
Adrian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Dublin
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

We went in here for an early dinner to the pub and it was excellent. The food was out of this world and really good value. The deserts were freshly prepared. Just as well I don't live near here or I'd end up obese! Loved everything staff, service and food. We would love to return to stay over.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Greystonesgirl
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your lovely positive review. I can say that the team at The Local @ Dunbrody will be delighted to read this review.
Thank you again and I look forward in welcoming you back to Dunbrody.
Waterford
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

The service in Dunbrody House was ok but the night began with the staff forgetting to serve one member of our party. We had to ask for her hor d'oeuvre. The courses were paltry in size and lacking in taste - 3 very small scallops as a starter, a goats cheese salad that had an impressive appearance but very lacking in taste especially of goats cheese! The black sole was swimming in an oily sauce, as were the vegetables. The lamb was strong and bitter to taste and despite the hefty price of €55 pp they were charging a €5 supplement for a beef joint to share! We were offered two bowls of veg between 8 people! When we asked for more veg it arrived after we had finished! We are very disappointed with Dunbrody House and will not be returning. It is very expensive for food that was certainly below par!

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank sruan
Dear Reviewer,
I am sorry to ready that you did not enjoy your recent visit and I have spoken to Nick regarding the dishes. All dishes mentioned are very popular here especially the "Sole Meuniere" which is a classic French dish finished off in melted butter and lemon juice.
Should you decide to return please contact me directly here at the hotel and I will be delighted welcoming you back at Dunbrody House.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed here for one night as a little treat. The house is beautiful, rooms are very much in character with the house in style and furnishings. We had lunch in the bar on arrival and it was very tasty and well presented. The gardens are beautiful with some lovely paths. You can see the produce being grown on the estate even the hens that lay the breakfast eggs and the rear bread pig too. Staff were very friendly and professional. We had dinner in the restaurant which had a small menu but very high standard and very tasty. After dinner we took a walk in the grounds and went into the stables which is converted to a charming little friendly bar. Breakfast was very good and again very high standard. More attention to small details by housekeeping would help, skirting boards dusty and mirrors and windows could do with a 2 second clean.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Linda O
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for such positive feedback regarding your recent stay at Dunbrody. The staff will be pleased to read this review. I have passed your comments to Bernadette in our housekeeping department.
I look forward in welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Recently stayed here for one Night. What a get-a-way from it all. It was amazing. We were very fortunate that the weather was excellent. It is so quiet and peaceful. Gardens and walks are amazing. Food was as I expected excellent and everything down to toast was home baked.
We booked a garden room which led directly to the excellently maintained gardens which was really lovely. We took a trip down to the local pub on the grounds (also owned by Dunbrody) and it was lively and busy.

Great if you really want to unwind and get away from it all.

Room Tip: Garden room - leads directly to the gardens.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Scathed
AdrianRoss73, Manager at Dunbrody Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your visit to Dunbrody, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Kildare
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We enjoyed our short stay( 3 nights) in Dunbrody. Surprisingly it's not all about the food which was a little disappointing. The house itself and the public rooms overlooking the garden are delightful and , in sunny June, were an oasis of calm. Our room was quirky but excellent in every respect with a view out over the garden area.
Breakfasts were excellent with plenty of choice and also served very late!
We had three dinner experiences. Our first was on the Irish Times offer menu which was satisfactory but seriously lacking any Wow factor.
On the second night we ate a la carte and chose the beef for two which was ordered medium rare. It was a long time coming and when it arrived it was all 'well done'. This should have been obvious to the kitchen and waiting staff but no apology was offered and we had to point out that the meat was overdone! This was disappointing. We were offered a complimentary drink which was fine but in a place like this mistakes should be identified by the staff in advance.
Our third meal was from the bar menu and was very good.
Overall, a lovely stay but disappointing in the one area where you would expect excellence.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kildareman
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for opting to leave a review based on your recent visit at Dunbrody. I will pass on your positive and constructive feedback to the team and I would like to apologise for falling short of your expectations by making a mistake on the cooking degree of the joint.
I hope you will be able to return in the future and continue to enjoy what Dunbrody House has to offer.
Ireland
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Had a recent one night stay in Dunbroady House, we were met by a pleasant lady in the reception lobby who told us we had been given a complimentary upgrade to a superior room, which I was looking forward to. She made us both very feel welcome & educated us on the layout of the hotel, location of the bar, restaurant etc. We were then greeted by a very mannerly and chivalrous manager who insisted on taking my partners bag to our room despite her saying she was ok but he insisted saying "it's all part of the service" which was an answer we both liked & made us believe that we were going to be treated to the WOW FACTOR for our stay. On arrival to our room we were a very underwhelmed (while still taking into account the period 1820s house we were in) by the poor, dated & shabby room decor. To say we were upgraded to a superior room?? I'm horrified to think what a standard room is like?? The bedroom sofa at the end of the bed had a number of stains but the faint sound of Lyric FM from the room radio was a nice touch. Really, we both felt the rooms were severely lacking in investment & screamed out for some attention. The bathroom was, bleak and the grout on the tiled walls was black in patches from a lack of attention & elbow grease by housekeeping. They really have to up their game in housekeeping but is nothing a good housekeeping manager with a good eye for detail couldn't sort out. The bed was quote comfortable pillows were good but, still, I felt uncomfortable in the room, it was lacking in something. For €107 each I genuinely expected more from the room & from the accommodation department perhaps a fruit basket, mineral water (sparkling & still) opposed to the cheaper bottled tap water, tea & coffee facilities, turning down service etc have been provided. I know it is not 5 star but the wow factor was unfortunately just left at the bottom of the stairs and forgotten by management. Anyway we dined in the restaurant that evening again greeted by the chivalrous manager who escorted us both to our table. The dining room decor was sharp with a horrendous & busy painting of Italian chefs but the room was enhanced when the lights were dimmed and the ambience changed, we both suddenly felt more relaxed but again noticed some poor housekeeping as the carpets were very stained. We looked through the menus picked our wine and ordered. When to came to tasting our house merlot I cracked a joke with the waitress and we all laughed and felt more relaxed. We were brought our starters which we both enjoyed and then we were jovially greeted a waitress who remembered us from a time When we had lunch there back in March 2014, I was very impressed by this, and her ability to converse with us like we knew her years amused us, the downside was that it was her last day as she was leaving for pastures greener I must say to the detriment of Dunbroady house. Our meal was fantastic with good flavours, simply presented with no fuss, the seasonal veg was good, my duck was slightly over cooked it my partners black sole was perfect. The dessert.......wow.... Creme friache soufflé with raspberry compot & sorbet. Never before has a dish amused me and made me laugh but the unexpected surprise of the popping candy in the sorbet made my day. The breakfast was good and relaxing probably was worth the additional €20 each. All in all we felt very left down by our stay the very good meal just couldn't compensate for poor quality rooms and honestly I felt robbed as we got poor value for our money with the accommodation. I would fear that Dunbroady house is falling or has fallen into a trap of being a restaurant with a hotel attached and not a hotel offering a full package of high quality accommodation with great good and friendly staff (which they are). Both upstairs & downstairs housekeeping needs to up their game, the presence of stained upholstery & carpets, pictures hanging crooked (which I straightened) and black grouting in bathroom is simply appalling. Unfortunately I would find it hard to recommend Dunbroady for its accommodation but would tell everyone to dine there as it was an experience that I will remember.

Room Tip: Don't stay here just dine there.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Critic250
Dear Reviewer,
Having read your review I can see many positive compliments touched upon and I have been informed that the house will be ear marked for a refurbishment plan in the near future. I have also passed the feedback received to our housekeeper.
The rate you paid is on a par to other luxury hotels in the area with room amenities similar to ours and I can't understand but will investigate as to why your room was not turned down as we offer this service.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Adrian
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arthurstown
Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
Ferrycarrig Hotel
Ferrycarrig Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ferrycarrig
Whitford House Hotel Health and Leisure Club

Been to Dunbrody Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!