“The Ring of Kerry”

Footfalls Walking Tours
Ranked #2 of 9 things to do in Roundwood
More attraction details
Owner description: Footfalls Walking Holidays was founded in 1994 by Christopher and Teresa Stacey. We wanted to share our love and interest in the great outdoors with others so we started guiding individuals and groups in the Wicklow Mountains. Before long we were getting requests from our customers to see more of Ireland than just Wicklow and also do self-guided tours. Today we have expanded to where we are offering guided and self-guided tours to almost every corner of Ireland, Scotland, Wales and the Lake District. Despite out growth almost all of our tours are guided by us, Christopher and Teresa, to guarantee that personal touch.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The Ring of Kerry”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

I recently returned from walking the Ring of Kerry with my daughter. I speak from experience when I say that Christopher at Footfalls was the most attentive and competent organizer of our self-guided tour of all the companies I have used in the past. Over the last 5 years, I have taken week-long walks in 5 European countries, and have found that some companies are better than others, as would be expected, but no one except Christopher cared enough to check in with us during the week to make sure everything was going well. We were also able to contact him when some large bovines were blocking a confined space that we needed to pass through. (City girls don't know much about bulls and their harems). Christopher told us what to do and assured us that we were in no danger. The detailed directions for each day's walk were excellent, the B&Bs that he arranged for us were wonderful, and even the weather was perfect. If I take another self-guided walk in Ireland, I will definitely use Footfalls to arrange my trip.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Judith B
Chris1955-55, Owner at Footfalls Walking Tours, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Judith & Amy,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a nice review, we really appreciate it. Thank you also for giving us the chance to set up your self guided tour of the Kerry Way and we are really delighted that all went well for you, even the sun shone brightly for you. :-)
Thanks again and have a lovely summer,

Christopher

Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Guided walking in Wicklow (1st - 6th Sep 2013)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

This was a perfect holiday walking in beautiful countryside with even glorious sunshine provided!
I had been a little apprehensive as a solo traveller but I needn't have worried as the group was mainly single people from several different countries. We got on fabulously and were good friends by the end of the holiday. The organisation was excellent, the accommodation splendid and dining out in a different place each evening was a great concept. I can't wait to do another Footfalls holiday. MJ.

4 Thank MAUREEN J
Christopher S, Owner at Footfalls Walking Tours, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear Maureen,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write that wonderful review. It was a pleasure to have you on the tour and we are delighted that you enjoyed it.

Stay very well and Keep on tracking :-)

Christopher, Teresa and the Footfalls Team,
Redondo Beach, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Wicklow Mountains Deluxe - Sept 1 - 6”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

Thank you Christopher, Theresa, Sheila and the wonderful friends I made during my Wicklow Mountain Deluxe walking/hiking tour. I had never been on a group tour before so I was nervous about signing up, but I am so happy I did and that I chose Footfalls. The experience was grand! I would highly recommend Footfalls to anyone considering a tour of this type. The walks/hikes vary from easy to challenging, but even though I was the slowest of the bunch, I never felt rushed to keep up. The restaurants chosen for dinner were excellent and I enjoyed staying at the Tinakilly Lodge very much. Should I be fortunate enough to take a trip like this in the future, I will sign up with Footfalls again and hopefully, I'll hear the story of Kevin's "friend" Kathleen next time!!!!

1 Thank SharonD282
Dear Sharon,

Thank you very much for sending us that lovely review, it was our pleasure to have you on one of our tours and we hope it won't be the last.

Until the next time, keep well and safe walking,

Christopher, Teresa and the Footfalls Team:-)
Portland, OR
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 136 helpful votes
“Worthwhile, but tweaks would help”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

My partner and I just finished the 8-day self-guided walk along the Glens of Antrim and Causeway Coast from Cushendall to Portstewart. This means we were by ourselves following our own timetable. We've done similar highly satisfactory independent walks on the Dingle Peninsula and Majorca, but with a different company.

What worked well on this trip:
1) Pre-trip booking and delivery of materials (day-by-day itinerary, maps, and coupons for accommodations) were handled smoothly. When a few things were inadvertently left out, Footfalls corrected them immediately. Questions were quickly answered. (See below for pre-trip planning improvements)
2) Accommodations at bed and breakfasts along the way were for the most part well selected, and all of the hosts were gracious and helpful. They were all familiar with Footfalls. Luggage transfers from B&B to B&B were glitch-free.
3) Overall itinerary was good with mileage varying from 8 to 11-12 miles of walking each day.

What can be improved:
1) The second day's visit to the Glenariff Forest should be reviewed and reworked. The return walk along a relatively busy road was unpleasant and potentially dangerous.
2) The walk along the Causeway Coast leading to the Giants Causeway (perhaps THE highlight of the entire trip) actually did not allow sufficient time for much of a visit coming at the end of a nearly 12 mile day. Given another 11 mile walk the next day, it was difficult to then squeeze in a visit to Bushmill's Distillery in the very pleasant town of Bushmill. This portion of the walk should be reworked allowing for visits to these key destinations.
3) Some of the walking instructions were too simple, brief, and/or confusing. A few paragraphs looked like they had been "cut and pasted" but with some omissions. We got lost one day coming out of Clare Wood and ended up completing more than a third of a walk along a busy highway (not intended on the itinerary, but we couldn't retrace our steps).
4) We happened to bring an unlocked US-based iPhone 5 for which we equipped it with an O2 Mobile SIM card that we purchased in Belfast before our walk began. Without this we wouldn't have been able to communicate with anyone, much less have access to emergency numbers/services. Footfalls should provide information on telecommunication options as part of the pre-trip planning process. (The organizer of our aforementioned Dingle and Majorca walking trips actually provided us with a mobile phone pre-programmed with credit and important local telephone numbers).

A group of four Germans were on a similar walking itinerary as ours but with a competing company, and we actually shared the same B&B on two nights. We compared daily itineraries and found their instructions to be more detailed and complete.

An independent, self-guided walking trip requires different logistical support than a guided trip. I would definitely consider another self-guided walking trip with Footfalls but would like to see greater attention to details.

4 Thank kiwitravelerpdx
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review.
We are sorry that you did not have the perfect experience on our Antrim Tour and we take on board everything that you have said. We will re-walk the trail and make any adjustments that is required to our notes.

Thanks again and enjoy what is left of the year,

Christopher, Teresa and the Footfalls Team
Germany
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Donegal & Antrim tour, wonderful, relaxed and great fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

This was the first time I went on a walking tour (I had been on several day tours departing in Galway) and I was a bit worried in the beginning to go on holidays on my own BUT I had such a great time thanks to Christopher and all our hiking buddies whom I spent the week with. It was so much fun. We had the luck of the Irish with us as the weather was perfect, just a few short showers of rain. The walks offered great views of cliffs, beaches, hills and many lucky Irish sheep. The tours were not that exhausting (well, at least not for me) and so it was quite relaxing. The people on the group were lovely and easy to chat with and have a good laugh. Everything was well organised and we didn't have to worry about anything. For dinner Christopher had chosen some comfortable restaurants and there was plenty of food and choices. Most of the B&Bs were very comfortable, too, with friendly and helpful owners. Christopher is a very experienced guide with a great knowledge of the country and he is also great with people. I hope I'll be back for another walking tour.

Visited July 2013
Dear Birgit,

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write a review to Tripadvisor, we really do appreciate it.
Thank you also for taking our tour and we are delighted that you enjoyed it.
Enjoy the rest of 2014,