“Fantastic wedding venue:-)”

Ballykealey Manor Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ballon
Ballykealey Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballon
Reviewed 1 December 2012

Myself and my husband got married in Ballykealey last month. I could not praise Ballykealey highly enough - especially Michael and Tina!! From the organising stages to the day we left, they were an absolute pleasure and nothing was too much trouble. We organised the full wedding from England, mostly over email, and they were so understanding and helpful.

We arrived at Ballykealey the night before our wedding, and it really did feel like a welcoming home from home as soon as we arrived. We had a beautiful family meal in the Oak room - despite being 2 hours late due to me injuring myself! Michael & team were totally understanding and took it in their stride.

The day of the wedding went great. Ballykealey really is a lovely hotel to wander around, and it was an added bonus that the lodges were so close. It meant that friends and family could wander around, chat and generally made for a lovely atmosphere. Also, the bridal suite was absolutely lovely to get ready in. There was plenty of room for the beautician and hairdresser to set up, and for all of the girls to get ready there :-) Not to mention, that its a gorgeous setting for the photographer to capture the 'getting ready' photographs.

After the ceremony, we arrived back to the hotel to a wonderful reception. The piper was briliant! The bellinis flowed, and the canapes were yummy (and much appreciated by all). The fires and candles were lighting in the reception rooms and it really was very cosy. We had our photos taken in the beautiful gardens at Ballykealey, which meant we missed out on hardly any of the fun with our guests!

We had over 200 guests, and the dinner was outstanding. Piping hot, served very efficiently and impeccible quality! We received so many compliments from our happy guests.

All in all we had a fabulous weekend at Ballykealey! From start to finish, we felt the staff really cared about making our wedding as perfect as it could possible be.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Lorraine D

Reviewed 15 November 2012

My husband and I were married by civil ceremony in Ballykealy on the 19th of October.
It was a small wedding of just family (25 adults & 11 kids) and we had around 150 people for a party that night. From the moment we arrived till the moment we left everything was perfect.
Our meal was to die for. The majority of people opted for the steak which was cooked and served to perfection. The starters & dessert were delicious too. Huge compliments to the chef!
Michael (the manager) is extremely good at his job. Friendly and professional. He did everything we asked and nothing was too much trouble.
We really enjoyed our day & night. I couldn't find fault with anything or anyone. Thank you to all the staff for making our day so special.
A special word of thanks to Michael and Tina. Also to Mick and Bart the bar men. U all did a great job!!

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Ruthann77
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Hi,
Myself and my wife got married in Ballykealey last week. Friday 2nd November.
We chose Ballykealey because we loved the old charm of the place, and the fact that it was exclusively for ourselves.
Everything building up to the wedding was brilliantly organised by Joe, Michael and Tina.
The evening before we got together the bridal party and family (approx 20), and had a meal and drinks in the Oak room. Michael, Joe and co., made us feel right at home, and there was no pressure on us at all.
We stayed in the lodges that night, and moved over to the house the following morning.
Breakfast was lovely and although, the nerves were at me, I managed to get halfway through it, and it was exactly what was needed.
When we arrived back after the ceremony, all our guests were enjoying cocktails and canapes, and there was a real homely atmosphere around the place, with the fire lit on the way in the door.
At our tasting, we requested a slight change to the meal only a week previous, and what resulted was unbelievable.
It was honestly the best Steak dinner I have ever eaten, and to produce that level for 150+ people was a credit to them.
There was not an empty plate in the house, and I could not count the amount of people who came up to me on the day, saying not only was it one of the best wedding meals they have had, but it was one of the best meals they have had period.
There was plenty of extra veg and potatoes going around to everybody, for those with a bigger appetite too.
The function room itself was nicely laid out, with the Annex available to us on the side for a photobooth, and a rest area for some of our guests to chill.
We set up a sweet table in the small chapel at the entrance to the function room, which was a perfect location, and it went down a treat.
Afterward the meal, the tables were cleared in double quick time, to prepare for the music, and no guests had to leave the function room to accommodate this, which was brilliant.
The Dancefloor was hoping for the night with our band, and Dj, and afterwards, at approx 4am, we headed up to the residence bar for a friendly sing song.
Joe and Michael helped everybody feel at home, and a lot of our guest remarked on how brilliant the whole experience was.
I must say, (and my wife does too), that there was not one part of the day that we would change, (we even got the weather).
Even the following day, we were able to get a lovely bowl of homemade soup and sandwiches, that went down a treat, for those of us who only rose out of bed in the afternoon.
I would like to thank all the staff at Ballykealey, for making that day, a day to truly remember.
I hope to be able to drop in again and have another helping of that filet steak.

Note: In coming up to the wedding, some friends and family dropped up to the house on occasion to see it, and were worried if we had made the right choice, as it looked deserted.
This hotel is specifically there to cater for weddings, and it is here where you will see them really shine. You may not get a good first impression if you arrive to the almost deserted building, but I can tell you. The place is worth the gamble, as it will truly be an occasion to remember.

Colm Hennebry

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Advisor_of_tr1ps
Reviewed 27 October 2012

We had a family wedding in Ballykealy Manor Hotel on the 19th of October. We were quite nervous having read some of the reviews which appeared on Trip Advisor. Well we needn't have worried. From the first moment we met Michael (the manager) until we left the following day he made sure everything went like a dream and reassured us all time. The food was cooked and served exactly as we specified. Contrary to some of the reviews, we found the staff very professional and friendly. Nothing was any trouble and every detail was taken care off. I had the soup on the day and it certainly was not from a packet nor was it from a packet the previous day when my sister and I had some and all I can say is, it was lovely and definitely home cooked. The table was beautifully set, again contrary to other reviews. By the way I have travelled quite a bit and have had the pleasure of wining and dining in many hotels all over the world. Without doubt the food and the service we received on the 19th was as good and indeed better than many I have dined and stayed in. Michael is certainly making a big effort to bring Ballykealy back to it's former glory and I for one hope he succeeds; he certainly deserves it. It is such a beautiful building with lovely grounds. It certainly is a gem. By the way I had more than the soup on the day just in case anybody thinks that's all I had!!. I had the Seabass which was cooked to perfection as was everything else on the menu. Congratulations to the chef.
I just wish Michael Tina and all the staff all the best for the future and I hope Ballykealy is a great success for them as they truly deserve it.
Thank you to each of them especially Michael (manager), Tina (receptionist), and Mick (the bar man) and all the others whose names I didn't get. By the way breakfast was excellent too. No complaints.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank thefourofuscarlow
Reviewed 20 October 2012

I was at a wedding on the 19th October the civil ceremony was in the hotel also

The meal was for a family gathering of about 40 including children. I must admit the groom who is in the meat business provided the beef which was dry aged for over 4 weeks and was to die for and cooked to perfection the starters were also excellent I had Caesar salad which had a lovely balance of dressing lettuce warm chicken bacon and crotons my husband had duck spring roll which was delicious The service was excellent attentive and friendly The children were seated together which worked well. There were a lot of choices on the menu and the kitchen coped no problem

Little things like the drinks we left on the bar counter to go into the cermony were waiting for us covered with bar mats when we returned to the bar Michael the manager was there overseeing everything

The whole day was so enjoyable they obviously have a great chef on board too

My only critique would be the tv didn't work in our room but I wasn't bothered and yes they are old portables but I suspect the saoir view issue will see a lot of new TV s being bought in general

Our room was lovely but there was no under sheet between the matress and the bottom sheet which there should be for comfort and hygiene so our bottom sheet moved around a lot but I slept well

Overall Michael and his team are bringing Ballykeally back to its former glory well done

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Kathyw1972
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Was in Ballykealey Manor two weeks ago for friends wedding. I checked in on the Friday into one of the lodges for two nights. Was not expecting much from reviews / website but I felt we got 5 star all the way. Food on Friday night was really nice & ample. Breakfast was yummy on Saturday & Sunday the staff were so entertaining I felt right at home there. Saturday for the wedding - its hard to get it right between service, timing, warmth of food but you hit the nail on the head. Nothing was too much trouble at all. Well done to Michael, Tina & team for a great weekend!

Room Tip: Houses gave the home from home experience, would have loved the heating to be on on arrival but it c...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sweetied10
Reviewed 30 September 2012

This is a lovely building set in a lovely location in the middle of the country. It is in off the road but well signposted and advertising bar food. We stopped by yesterday on our way back from a walk in the beautiful Altamont Gardens. We fancied a nice warming bowl of soup. We were served promptly, but were disappointed with the quality and value for money. The soup had a distinct packet taste, complete with skin on top and was served in those shallow bowls you expect to get at a large function. Service was enthusiastic to a fault. We were approached by three different people to ask if we wanted dessert or coffee. We didn't really want either but eventually ordered coffee under duress. It was cold. We felt €15 for two mediocre bowls of soup and two cold coffees was bad value for money. I seldom write negative reviews, but I really believe if you have a business that is a bit out of the way to get to, you need to make the experience one that is worth going back for and one that people will spread a good message for you! It doesn't take much to provide really good homemade soup in nice crockery. While I appreciate that staff were being helpful and enthusiastic, there needs to be some coordination to avoid customers feeling somewhat harassed!

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Majella21
Ballykealey, General Manager at Ballykealey Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2012

Thank you for taking the time out to review your visit to Ballykealey Manor Hotel. I am sorry to hear you did not find it to your satisfaction and am only sorry you did not mention it to us personnally. The soup of the day was Courgette and Rosemary, as far as I can tell, not available in packets!! Fresh made that morning and served with our homemade brown bread. The shallow bowls are standard to most hotels and indeed I have encountered these myself in many an hotel throughout the country. I am sorry you felt 'harassed' by being approached by 3 different members of staff, including myself, however we value our high standard of service and attention to our customers needs. I myself made the coffee for you, and served it to your table straight away, I am only sorry that you did not bring it to our attention then and there and we could have replaced it for you.
Many thanks,
Michael Long

Been to Ballykealey Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!