“Sunday Lunch January 2014”

Ballykealey Manor Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ballon
Ballykealey Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballon
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I brought my parents to Ballykealy Manor for their anniversary on Sunday, January 19th. We were placed in the dining room towards the rear beside the fire. it was gorgeous. The room has French doors and beautifully restored mouldings on the ceiling.

We ordered the blade of beef (cooked for 8 hours) which fell off the fork, beef steak and sea bass (on a beautiful risotto - delicious). Apart from slight over seasoning (a bit too much salt), we thoroughly enjoyed the food. The staff were extremely attentive and the cost was very economical.

I would recommend this venue wholeheartedly.
Emma
Carlow

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Shawsome

Reviewed 1 January 2014

attended a wedding on 31st dec. what an experience!!. food tasty, great service - an ideal wetting for a wedding. nicely decorated bedrooms and lots of attention to detail. would highly recommend this hotel for a wedding and indeed for a weekend away from the maddening crowds.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank molly36Kilkenny
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We had a fabulous time. 32 of us. excellent service and fab breakfasts.
Rooms were very comfortable.
Many thanks
Will return
Special thanks to Tina,Ian and Brian. They made our stay extremely easy. A large group was no problem for them at all. This group stay all over the world and all commented on the friendly atmosphere within Ballykeally.
Many thanks

Room Tip: They are all good rooms.good size and en suite
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Siobhan B
Reviewed 19 August 2013

On Friday the 26th of July 2013 we held a small family wedding in Ballykealey Manor Hotel. Ourselves and our families had one of the best days of our lives! The venue is beautiful and the staff are amazing, they couldn't do enough for us. We would like to give a special thanks to Tina Byrne, she gave us her expert help and time from day one and made the day special for us.
Barry and Sandra Co. Laois.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank sandra h
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

Stopped off for a coffee & perhaps a dessert. I was amazed they had gluten free apple tart. Delicious ! Presentation was amazing & most important of all - it tasted devine. Staff were warm, attentive and very professional. I will return !

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank Ritabyrne
Reviewed 25 July 2013

The best way to explain my issue with Ballykealey is to outline the interactions I have had with them. The first interaction was lovely. My partner and I visited the venue and talked through all our wishes for our wedding. A price of €60 per person was agreed. The next batch of interactions was fine. Tina Byrne, the wedding co-ordinator got back to me saying that the price had been increased to €65 per person. After a couple of emails and a phonecall we settled on some extras for this price. However, the last batch of interactions was a nightmare…

My partner and I went for a final viewing. We liked the venue but wanted some more information about the food and we requested some free rooms. Three days later we got an email saying that we would get information about the menu in the coming week and that we couldn’t have the free rooms. We were also told about three completely new stipulations, i.e. that we couldn’t have exclusivity of the venue (which, as far as we can recall, had been agreed), that there were now minimum numbers for the package (and we would have to pay an undisclosed amount more if we didn’t achieve them) and that we now had to assume responsibility for all the rooms in the venue for three full nights (just to highlight how ludicrous this last point is – 1) the wedding party only wanted to stay for two nights, and 2) while the whole package we had negotiated to this point was valued at approx €11,000, the rooms represented a potential additional cost of €12,000).

I sent an email noting my distress and left two phone messages for Tina to call me back. When I didn’t hear from her that day or the following day I assumed that she didn’t get my messages. However, when I finally managed to speak to her, Tina told me that she hadn’t had time to return my calls. During this phonecall I expected Tina to ease my mind but instead she shouted at me and reiterated her demands. I was gobsmacked.

Our final interaction was an email from Tina, some of which is noted below. The issue on exclusivity related to the Friday night. In this regard Tina wrote ‘Please note you and I had not previously discussed the proposed B.B.Q and accommodation on the Friday specifically’ but I have handwritten notes from our first meeting about these two points. Related to the minimum numbers Tina wrote ‘we have stated a minimum of 160 guests in your case was because of the additional extras you had negotiated’ but these extras were clearly negotiated for €65 and no extras had been added from that time.

We couldn’t understand why we were being treated this way but the final email gave us some clues. We had told Ian Farrell, the Manager, that we were considering another venue. We had actually been set on Ballykealey Manor but thought it was prudent to have a bargaining chip. Tina wrote ‘Mr Farrell seemed to be of the opinion that you were probably going to go to Kilronan Castle anyway from the discussions you were having with him and if that is the case then I sincerely wish yourself and your partner every good wish with it’. But probably more to the point Tina wrote ‘The General Manager is quite annoyed with me that I had given you such a competitive rate as I had’. The Manager had told us that he had very recently taken over as Manager and that he wanted to make changes. We can only assume he wasn't happy with the price of the package we had negotiated initially and had wanted to make changes to that.

I had really liked the venue and had wanted to go with it but I ended up shaking and in tears following the last phonecall with Tina, so that was the end of that dream. I am utterly appalled by the lack of professionalism I encountered in dealing with the staff at Ballykealey Manor and I feel others should be warned lest they encounter something similar.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
17  Thank tonya m
Ballykealey, General Manager at Ballykealey Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2013

Dear Dr. Madden,

Thank you for considering the Ballykealey Manor Hotel for your Wedding Reception.

We have reviewed all our interactions with you in great detail regarding your recent enquiry for a Wedding Reception on May 31st 2014. In my opinion, it is very regettable that both parties experienced such a breakdown in communication. I'm very dissappointed it has ended in this manner.

We wish yourself and Martin all the best for the future and hope you enjoy your very special day next year.

Ian Farrell

Reviewed 25 June 2013

Myself & my husband just got married at ballykealey manor & I have to say it really was the most incredible day of our lives.
Our guests couldn't say enough good things about the hotel, the staff and the service.
It was a magical day, thanks so much to Tina who was an absolute star throughout the whole wedding & who organised everything in the run up!
A really fabulous place & we would recommend it to everyone who is looking for a really unique & romantic wedding venue :)

• Stayed: June 2013
7  Thank Leelahenry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballon
Mount Wolseley Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort
#1 of 1 in Borris
The Millrace Hotel
The Millrace Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bunclody

Been to Ballykealey Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!