“A Fairytale begins....”

Ballykealey Manor Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ballon
Ballykealey Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballon
“A Fairytale begins....”
Reviewed 19 April 2010

After recently staying in what could only be described as a dream venue I felt impelled to share my experience! Living 5 mins away from Ballykealey and eating there most Sundays I hadn't actually taken the time or had the occasion to stay in the hotel prior to my friends wedding there. From start to finish our experience was one I wasn't expecting, every guest was made to feel welcome by the extremely friendly and attentive staff. Food and drink was abundant from the moment we arrived from the ceremony! The reception staff were so warm and helpful! It was a rather large wedding 250+ and everything went off without the slightest hitch. The only complaint anyone could have would be that we were so full! Our room was cosy and so tastefully in keeping with the period of the house! I felt like a princess for the night and I wasn't even the Bride!!! I couldn't recommend the place enough and have to say I am shocked at some of the reviews about this hotel, for one thing anyone who couldn't appreciate how hard it would be to heat and maintain a house that is over 200 years old has no appreciation for historical buildings and I also have to say the owner was the most down to earth man I have met in a long time and he had time and a word for everybody there. It was so refreshing!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TravelTemptress

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Ireland
Reviewed 13 December 2009

Stayed one night recently for a wedding. Room was freezing. Two radiators on all night but you could not heat this old house. Mold on the walls. Shower just a dribble. Food poor. Avoid if you can.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Westkerry1

Travellers are raving about these Ballon hotels

Reviewed 30 January 2009

Firstly has anyone noticed the hotel name is actually spelt incorrectly on this site? Its Ballykealey Manor Hotel...anyway! What an amazing hotel-we attended a friends wedding there in December- The staff were fantastic at looking after all the guests-during the meal they were continually topping up our food and drink! The hotel was lovely and cozy with fires blazing and fairy lights lit all over the hotel. Our room was cozy with a great four poster bed! Next morning they looked after everyone with breakfast-even though who arrived an hour late!! Definitely recommend this hotel-loved it!!!!

• Liked — staff and general friendly, relaxed vibe of the venu
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Smairy
carlow
Reviewed 11 August 2008

I attended a family wedding in Ballykealy recently. I actually live about 10 km away from this hotel. . I booked a room for the night of the wedding as we didn't want to worry about taxies and we also wanted to be with family for the next morning.

My husband has an ongoing illness, and unfortunatly, he became unwell early in the evening, and he NEEDED to go home.
I went to reception to cancel the room, and the owner was there.
He was the rudest, most unhelpfull person i have ever met in any hotel in any county. He insisted that i couldn't cancel the room without paying the full price of 150 euro , he suggested that I stay tthere on my own , while my husband went home anyway.

His reason was that he could'nt afford to lose the 150 euro, even though he was getting a five figure sum fir the wedding and all the other rooms were booked by wedding party. The prices he was charging for drinks at the bar would soon make up the 150 euro. He told that if I went home and did'nt pay forn the room , he would charge the bride and groom for the room.

After pleading with him for 10 to 15 mins, he conceeded and said I could cancell the room.

This hotel has (had) a brillent reputation for weddings , while under different management, and you have to travel far to get a better venue for a wedding. The grounds are fantastic and its a great pity that the ower dos'nt get another great manager and leave it to him to run. The meal was adaquate, desert was a disgrace, and it he dos'nt do something soon , the hotel will start to loose bookings. I could carry on writing more negitives about the hotel , but I have spoken to other local people who use the hotel and they are saying the same negitive things as myself.

I would not reccomend this hotel for a wedding.

Stayed July 2008
5 Thank duckettf
Reviewed 29 February 2008

My boyfriend and myself stayed in this hotel last year for a romantic weekend. I found everything about it great. The food was amazing. So much so that we've returned last Sunday for the lunch. It has beautiful grounds, which are ideal for a romantic walk. The service was great too. The gentleman who owns the hotel was very friendly and couldn't do enough for us. It is a beautiful old Manor hotel which has kept it timeless charm!!!

• Liked — The good food with reasonable prices
  • Disliked — There was nothing that I didn't like.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fizzingDublin
wexford
Reviewed 30 September 2007

i have visited this hotel on numerous occassions. it is the food that i have sampled rather than the accomodation. but i would say on the basis of the foo, and the atmosphere of the dining hall alone, go and visit this hotel. wondeful meals are provided the cosy and charming hall that is so pleasently heated that you could perhaps catch up on some sleep! with regards to the decor, the selling point of the hotel is its old-fashioned and historic resonance. the staff on my recent visit were very friendly, though i have found that this isn't always the case, with some of the waitresses and such being quite abrupt on an ealier visit- yet this is a small and insignificant matter.

• Liked — food
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank accomer
US - Philadelphia
Reviewed 23 December 2006

Ballykealy is a wonderful hotel. Superb staff, excellent receptions, wonderful accomodations. I can't express enough the wonderful time I had here. My first visit was in 1994. I hold this place as one of the happiest places on Earth. Highly recommended. Also, make sure to visit the countryside. Especially the Malone's strawberry farm.

• Liked — History and proximity to friends
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay here!!
  • Stayed November 2005, travelled solo
3 Thank Jay1977
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballon
Mount Wolseley Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort
Woodford Dolmen Hotel
Dinn Ri Hotel
Dinn Ri Hotel
#4 of 5 in Carlow

Been to Ballykealey Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!