“Waterfall hike at Italy Farmstay”
Review of Italy Farm Stay

Italy Farm Stay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 14 July 2008

The waterfall hike provided at Italy Farmstay by Antonello Siragusa was absolute fun and excitement. The high Appinnine canyon that we hiked was beautiful and filled with pristine cascades and intriguing caves, cliffs, and trail layout. The views were spectacular! The hike was both enticing and challenging, and the breathtaking waterfall and natural formations made this hike a rush for all of us. This was an awesome way to end our most enjoyable stay at Antonello's farm. We definately plan on returning to this area some day and when we do we certainly will take this hike again. Fantastico!
Richard Daun

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 June 2008

We stayed but a few days and thoroughly enjoyed our R&R from the hectic life of backpacking across Europe. The farmstay is simple but adequate and is a work in progress. This adds to the charm. The situation with the owners and the staff seemed a bit funny though and it was quite an awkward atmosphere. IMO this was due to both parties, not just one. The soul of the whole operation, although he probably isn't aware is the sweet welcoming Guiseppe. What a gem! He taught us Italian (he speaks very little English), patience, how to search for wild asparagus and to appreciate life (with a bit of his homemade vino!). Without him I think the farm would be a little dull and meeting him was the highlight of our whole trip to Italy! My only regret is that I had to leave in a hurry (to get a lift into town) and couldn't say a proper goodbye.

For a bit of peace and tranquility and the rare opportunity to sample 50 euro cent Italian coffees in town and surround yourself with proper "locals", this is the place. Oh and the staff at Pizza shop in town are also very lovely and reinstated our faith in the friendliness of Italian people.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2008

This was by far the most memorable experience in a three week trip to Italy...and perhaps of my life to date. Antonello's farm is magic. From the organic fields of fruits, veggies, olive trees, and vineyard, to the hiking, sunrises, and Thursday market; from the fresh eggs and goats' milk at breakfast, to the homemade wine, bread, and olive oil; from the generosity and sweet spirit of Antonello and his family, to the locals not quite used to having tourists come their way, this is truly a gem.

I considered staying for the whole three weeks (we started our trip here for four days), and then considered just going back to Sora instead of back home, but I figured my husband might get upset. Please feel free to contact me with any questions!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank sorainmyheart
Reviewed 3 May 2008

We decided to start our holiday in Italy at Italy Farm Stay, thinking it would be a great place to unwind, and adjust to the time difference from North America - and we couldn't have made a better choice! All the positive reviews we had read about it prior to leaving were 100% accurate - which can so often NOT be case - sometimes when expectations are high, they rarely live up to their billing. In the case of Italy Farm Stay, however, this was not the case.

All our arrangements prior to arrival were made via email with Antonello, who always responded promptly to our enquiries and provided us with detailed information about how to find them once we arrived. That said -- we still managed to lose our way once in the nearby town of Sora, but as promised, we gave Antonello a call and he immediately drove into town to guide us up into the beautiful hills to his home. (Antonello speaks fluent English for those of you who many be concerned about a language barrier).

Upon check in, we were welcomed by his mother Maria, who prepared us some bread with olive oil and a glass of wine - just what the doctor ordered after our lengthy journey. Antonello gave us a quick tour of the farm, and we were immediately charmed - not only by the magnificent scenery surrounding us for 360 degrees - but by the atmosphere on the farm itself, where we also met his friendly father, Guiesspe, who was working in the barn feeding the farm animals. We were also advised of the many side trips available for a small fee - guided hikes to a local waterfall, horseback riding excursions, outdoor yoga, learning how to make cheese and pasta, etc. If we'd had more time, we certainly would have partaken in a few more of these activities, but our self-guided tours in the area were also memorable - a hike up into the hills with a most spectacular view of the valley below, and a trip into nearby Sora on market day (Thursdays).

We opted to stay on the farm for dinner for two of our three nights there (9 euros per person for a delicious home cooked meal), where we sat at the family table with Antonello, other guests, and the friendly volunteers who help keep things running smoothly on the farm. Although we are two late 40-somethings, we felt right at home breaking bread and drinking vino with younger travellers! I will always remember the feeling of camaraderie we had sitting around the dinner table - it was as if we'd all known each other far longer than 48 hours!

We stayed in Room #1 - very roomy and clean, with a large ensuite bathroom -- my only complaint, and it's a minor one which we made adjustments for, was that the shower stall only had one door - we eventually figured out a way to take a shower without soaking the floor though!

I would heartily recommend Italy Farm Stay if you're looking for a true taste of the REAL Italy - it's a lovely alternative to the tourist saturated towns of Tuscany and the larger main cities of Italy. It's the perfect place to unwind and put your feet up in the hammock, drink in the fresh mountain air, and gaze upon the stunning landscape around you....all for superb value. Do keep in mind, however, that this is not a place to stay if you're looking for luxury (not an issue for us!) -- but if you ARE comfortable with getting your shoes dirty, interacting with the friendly local people, and enjoying a unique, relaxed and memorable experience, do not hesitate to book a vacation at Italy Farm Stay - you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Noelle S
Reviewed 22 March 2008

If you are looking for something unique while in Italy consider staying here. Italyfarmstay is a great base to explore this very little traveled part of Italy. While you are only 2.5 hours from Rome, you will not find yourself neck deep in tourists. The farm is a couple of kilometers (a nice walk) above the town of Sora. We especially enjoyed the walk up to the church and ancient castle high above the city as well as the old town atmosphere below. At the farmstay itself, there are lots of things to do and in general, a very laid back feel. Antonello, the host, has set up a number of guided tours and activities in the area from horseback riding and paragliding to cheese making. The cheese making tour is your chance to see how it has been done for hundreds, maybe thousands of years at a small sheep farm right down the road from the farmstay. In addition, the hiking in the national park is excellent. There are waterfalls and rocky gorges which would attract throngs of hikers elsewhere but here they are unknown and unspoiled. The rooms (5 available) are very comfortable and Antonello's parents are very gracious. Maria is an excellent cook and homestyle meals can be arranged during your stay. Understand that this area is not touristy so cabs and shuttle buses are not to be found. Be prepared to stretch your legs, rent a bike or arrange rides with Antonello to access some of the other things the area has to offer. From Sora itself, frequent trains and buses connect you quickly to Rome and Naples. We were not looking to see all the famous sights in Italy. Instead we wanted to get away for a while and relax and we found the perfect place for it at Italy Farm Stay.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2007

After spending two weeks on this farm, I feel completely fulfilled, in the way only a travaler can understand. Everything about this place captured me in a different way. The location was stunning. The food was absolutely incredible (I think I may have gained a pound or two, but I do not regret it, not for a moment!) The accommodations were lovely. The animals, the activites, and the list goes on...However, I think the one thing that impacted me the most was the people I met here. The family that runs this place is truly incredible. I felt so welcomed and everyday was learning something new. Whether it was italian lessons from Guiseppe while picking olives in the italian sun or attempting to make real italian pasta with Maria. When the time came for me to leave, I did not want to. The life that they live and so earnestly wanted to share with me is something I will never forget. If you have the chance to come here, do. It is not for everyone, but if you feel like an adventure or just a holiday, this place is perfect. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 October 2007

Agriturismi are definitely the way to go in rural Italy. It's the next best thing to having a family to stay with. Thus, the family running the place is of utmost importance. That is why it was so enchanting arriving at ItalyFarmStay and being greeted by a beaming Antonello (son) bearing olive oil and wine, and seeing mom (Maria) cooking the evening's dinner. Then noticing dad (Giuseppe) handcranking the press for this season's wine. It's their commitment to the lifestyle and the joy they put into their tasks that makes places like this so special. - My room was spacious and clean, the bathroom was modern with plenty of hot water and a shower. But I spent most of my three days there taking hikes with Antonello, taking cooking classes with Maria, and listening to Giuseppe talk about the history of the area (a working Roman era fountain in the woods, and a Roman olive oil press, etc). The high point of the stay was watching a local shepherd making pecorino and ricotta cheeses, and eating dinners with the other guests. Definitely on my list for my next trip to Italy.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo
2  Thank CrescendoNYC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pescosolido
B&B Portella Delle Fate
B&B Al Colle
B&B Al Colle
#1 of 3 in Pescosolido
Hotel Albergo Ristorante Il Ciclope
La Codarda
La Codarda
#2 of 3 in Pescosolido

Been to Italy Farm Stay? Share your experiences!