“A Beautiful Place, Special People,”
Review of Italy Farm Stay

Italy Farm Stay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Genoa, Italy
“A Beautiful Place, Special People,”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

One of my favorite places in Italy... and I've seen a lot of it! I stayed here with friends whilst working in Italy in 2010 and always wanted to go back - I finally managed to get there again last Autumn for 2 weeks; it was even better than i remembered! Just such beautiful, natural, unspoilt surroundings to relax in, discover and explore the countryside, mountains, waterfalls, wildlife, food, places and people! The farm itself has a lovely garden with views of Sora and the mountains, the rooms are unique, rustic, artistically styled and very comfortable and Antonello and his family who run ItalyFarmStay are all wonderful people to spend time with and they'll help you with whatever you need to have a great time whilst there. He told us about various hikes in the nearby mountains and had hand drawn maps of each route! I enjoyed visiting the market in Sora, going to yoga classes, seeing a theatre performance in the local village, attending a chestnut festival in the mountains, making bread and pasta and doing an early morning trip to watch cheese making and helping the Shepard to squeeze some pecorino into shape!
Apart from all the hikes, activities and excursions possible, just staying on the farm, watching or helping Guiseppe plant or pick the fruit and vegetables or feed the animals was a great experience, and eating the organic produce for dinner was buonissimo; I particularly loved eating the fresh figs after picking them!
I would recommend this place to couples, families, groups and solo travellers as everyone I met at the farm whilst I was there was really friendly, interesting and I had some great conversations and time spent with other guests. I think that anyone interested in the 'real Italy' and the laid back fairly traditional countryside way of life should take time to visit here, whether for hiking, relaxing, meeting new friends or experiencing great Italian family hospitality and organic farm food! I'll never forget this special place - it's a unique kind of place that leaves people with experiences and insights that most tourists in Italy wouldn't come across, and a great chance to reconnect with nature.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank felifelilalala

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We spent a lovely few days here, sharing a truly Italian experience. From the moment we met Federico at his pizzeria near the bus station to the campfire on our last evening, these were wonderful days. We were able to walk and enjoy the surrounding countryside, feed and stroke the animals, make pasta, ride horseback in a nearby valley, join the farmworkers in their olive harvest or just relax in the sofas and hammocks on the deck. We also ventured into Sora on foot and by car to explore and eat. We were supremely lucky with the weather and could not have asked for more in terms of hospitality - we were even allowed to have our own Halloween party and were given a supply of logs to keep the fire going long into the evening.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank molesh
Hamilton, Ontario
Reviewed 16 October 2013

My husband, three boys (11, 9, and 8), and I had the pleasure of visiting Italy Farm Stay in July 2013. We still talk about our time there often.

Others have described the authentic feel of the place, with friendly hosts, volunteers, and guests all open to new experiences and good conversation. The neat mix of people alone would have made for a delightful and memorable week. There were also opportunities to make pasta, visit the local shepherd, take a walk into Sora, ride horses, explore a farm very different from what we've ever experienced, and just watch the clouds pass by on a veranda that overlooks a beautiful, rustic, and much-loved property.

We asked for a family room and were pleased with the space we had to spread out. There is a communal refrigerator (small). I believe it's possible to do laundry on-site. As a family of five, though, it made more sense for us to wait until we could get to a laundromat to quickly take care of a week's worth of clothing worn by boys on a farm.

My husband and I loved the communal meals served each evening. Our boys liked the idea of eating with everyone else and enjoyed interacting with the guests, but they weren't always up for a new food adventure in rustic Italian cuisine each night. Sometimes we just made sure they'd had a healthy meal earlier in the evening and kept an eye on them reading in a hammock close-by. They were happy and we were free to enjoy Maria's wonderful cooking and the company of lovely people from all around the world.

We had a really hard time leaving and hope to return. We camped on either side of our time at Italy Farm Stay and, as a consequence, had to pack light. Apart from perhaps packing an extra pair of shoes or boots for our boys, we wouldn't have changed a thing about our time at Italy Farm Stay - except to stay even longer.

Room Tip: This is not luxury accommodation, but we were very comfortable, and our room was very tidy and quite...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank EarlyBirdTraveller
USA
Reviewed 27 September 2013

If you have plans to visit either Naples or Rome and are looking for some lazy time to spend in the countryside of Italy, I very highly recommend that you check out this place, "Italy Farm Stay". The name is a bit misleading, but in a good way. The location is on a farm, but Italian style. ...and the farm is atmosphere for you. You don't lift a finger for anything. Your job is to relax and enjoy the timelessness of the countryside and to be in awe of the Abruzzi mountains that you can see all around (Pescosolido is to the west of Abruzzo). And if you want to, you have the opportunity to learn to make pasta from scratch. Where else better to learn how to make pasta! If you are fascinated by the famous Pecorino cheese, you can visit the local shepherd and see how the cheese is made.

It is very relaxing and really amazing to wake up in the morning and to savor that beauty that is all around, to enjoy that Mediterranean sun on your skin and to breath such fresh air. You can lounge on the veranda, walk through the yard and pick fresh fruits from the orchard. And you can just chill having a family-style dinner with the other guests at the house. Yes, even a couple on vacation can enjoy such a visit to this location. There's always an option to socialize, but definitely privacy is respected as well. But for anyone that knows that they just want privacy more often than not, there is an alternative location available up the road under the same management, and that location is definitely less communal and is more private (but certainly with added cost, no doubt) with kitchen facilities to prepare your own meals instead.

I think that this is a great place to spend time enjoying nature. But since it is located in a somewhat remote location, obviously, you can not walk to a local cafe without walking about two miles, I think it was, to the town of Sora. There is a taxi service available, but you will never need it. Afterall, you are there to enjoy, so walking into town is very enjoyable and peaceful experience.

So in my opinion, this place offers an authentic taste of Italy. Yes, everyone goes to see Rome, and all the big Italian cities, but my high recommendation is to spend some time in the countryside where most people there are all Italians and hardly any tourists. I loved it! You'll even see herds of sheep crossing the road or nearby in their pasture. Tractors too. And even in the small town of Sora, fashion seems to be a high priority for the locals. Actually, when I was there, I sacrificed my time that I had to spend in Rome and spent most of it at the "Italy Farm Stay" for five days. Rome will always be there for me.

Room Tip: because this location is so quaint, there is not an abundance of rooms. so I recommend that you boo...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank dawneliz2012
Woodbridge
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Had a fantastic time during 5 days at the farm and wish I could have stayed longer. This place is a real gem and I am very glad places like this exist! As soon as we got there I knew my expectations were going to be more than matched. The family are very hospitable and friendly, Antonello is a very cool dude who kept everyone entertained! We were made to feel like members of the group, rather than outsiders.
The food was simple but beautifully cooked with fresh ingredients grown on the farm, and you could help yourself to as much as you wanted. The bedroom was very comfortable. There were many reasonably priced activities to partake in - the horseback riding was a particular highlight, despite it being my first time trying it. There are spectacular hikes you can go on from the farm, and the town of Sora isn't too far away. Pasta making with Maria and cheese making with a local shepherd were also great fun.
Relaxing in the hammock and watching the family's majestic horse roam around the garden in the evening was also wonderful.
My time here was the best out of all the places I visited during two weeks in Italy, and I couldn't recommend it any more highly! Most of all, I recommend that you spend some time with the donkey, it's a very therapeutic experience!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 10 September 2013

My experience while staying here was one that I can't possibly review completely here because everyday was another adventure, both via the hospitality of Antenello and his family, the other guests, and all that the area has to offer. The grounds are as described, our room was huge off a patio, clean. We felt like we were part of the family, our arrival was greeted by Antenello with a plate of bruschetta most from the tomatoes grown on the farm, he offered wine again made there. Nuts grown on the farm were gobbled up as well. Everyone was so nice and accommodating. We hiked up the mountain with printed directions from antenello, shopped in sora. I can't say enough, if you are looking for a B&B on a real farm you will not be disappointed. Nature at its best.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank scottysgirl2
Zichron Yaakov, Israel
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We had planned on a two day visit for the family (two kids aged 17 and 10) but extended it for the whole week of our visit to Italy. The place is beautiful and the rooms are clean and spacious. The total concept of the place is great - an ecological farm which on the one hand accepts volunteers from all over the world (at the time of our visit there were from Ireland, Spain, Berlin and Wales) and on the other hand accomodates guests at a very reasonable price (the cheapest we ound on the internet) with plenty of advice for activites at the national Abrazzia park. We were exceptionally lucky in seeing a brown bear at the bear sanctuary which is a 15 minute drive from the farm (see picture).
Thanks to Antonello who after travelling himself around the world had the vision of creating an ecological farm that brings together people from across the globe to sit during the morning breakfast or the evening dinner around one long dining table and interact joyfully with one another. Special thanks also to Giuseppe who became a grandfather for a week to my ten year old son who faithfully woke early in the morning so that he could help Giuseppe pick the figs and beans and what ever other farm chores that had to be done.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pescosolido
B&B Portella Delle Fate
#1 of 3 in Pescosolido
Agriturismo la Pesca
Agriturismo la Pesca
#2 of 2 in Broccostella

Been to Italy Farm Stay? Share your experiences!