“We loved it”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Charleston, South Carolina
“We loved it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2009

We arrived in Sora by bus from Rome at 11:30PM, cold, hungry and exhausted. We had been traveling all day from Buchurest Romania. Antonello swooped down from the farm and picked us up within ten minutes of our call. We asked if he could possibly have something for us to eat and a glass of wine. When we arrived his mother Maria was still up. She agreed immediately to cook us a full dinner. We would have been happy with bread and cheese. Out comes the homemade wine and fresh spinach and ricotta ravioli made only hours before. There was second course of vegetables and fresh bread. A fire was burning the kitchen fireplace. Some other guests were hanging out and we chatted. Unbelievably, Maria and Antonello stayed up until 1:30AM to make sure we were full, warm and happy. This was the excellent care we received during our three day stay.

Antonello and his parents Guiseppe and Maria are generous and attentive hosts. The prices are reasonable and the value outstanding. Antonello enthusiastically asks for suggestions from guests about how to improve the farm.

The other guests and the volunteers (learning ecofarming, Italian and trading their work for room and board) were delightful and added so much to our stay. We became friends.

A few tips...The weather was cold at night when we stayed at the farm. We were in the building next to the main house. The room was immaculate and comfy. If however you are cold, Antonello will keep the heat on the room beyond the standard nighttime amount of three hours if you ask him. There is a 70 cent Euro charge per hour. This is standard at hostels/B&Bs in Italy. If you are a larger group Antonello will put extra beds sleeping up to five in the rooms in the building next to the main house. These rooms are newer with bathrooms ensuite and would be perfect for a family or friends who don't mind sharing. He is also adding AC to one room this year. It will be a little extra but if it is important to you just ask. Antonello offered many activities including horseback riding, cheese making, language and occking classes. He will arrange all of this for you. Lastly, walk into Sora for gelato. Take the route out the back of the farm though the fields for a peaceful stroll. If you are walking back at night make sure you take some change for a phone, directions back to the farm, the address and Antonello's phone number in case you have problems. We took the road not the farm trail back at night (too dark and you have to cross a small creek). Remember, you will not find a taxi in Sora to take you back to the farm.

We would go back to Italy Farm Stay in a heartbeat.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
New York City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2008

Working several months in the heart of Rome, a weekend visit to the countryside was a must for some rest, relaxation, peace and quiet. I found Italy Farm Stay by accident on the internet. Because of its proximity to Rome, the accessibility by bus, and the activities offered, I was on my way without any recommendations. Italy Farm Stay exceeded expectations. This small family run farm is just outside Sora in a little town called Pescosolido located at the foot of Abruzzi National Park. From the moment I got off the bus in Sora, I didn’t have to think about a thing. Antonello, his parents, Maria and Giuseppe are welcoming, accommodating and down to earth. It felt like home away from home. The accommodations are simple, very comfortable and clean. I stayed for two nights in the double room with bathroom (room number 1). The view from my room was wonderful - landscape dotted with farm animals, olive, fruit and walnut trees offset by the panoramic mountain terrain. On the day of my arrival, I walked the grounds of the farm with Antonello’s two small dogs guiding the way. I spent mornings amongst the chickens, donkeys and goats, picking olives to be pressed into olive oil. Maria taught me how to make pasta and a mushroom sauce from scratch. I ate heartily and drank homemade wine. Afternoons were spent either hiking to the waterfall, walking back roads lined with abandoned homes or horseback riding. Overall a very beautiful, memorable and relaxing weekend.

• Liked — Location, beauty
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
san diego california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2008

We stayed at the farm after our trip to Rome and it was so much more peaceful than the hectic pace of Rome. Our host, Antonello and his parents, Guiseppe and Maria were extremely warm and genuine people. I spent most of my time with Guiseppe riding their animals (donkeys and pony), and helping him with taking care of the animals. I got a chance to milk their goat one morning! We ate fresh eggs, fruits and vegetables from their farm. The atmosphere was like one big happy family. The other guests there had great personalities. The animals were great, and there were very fun activities such as a cheese shepherd, and horseriding. The cheese shepherd was an amazing experience plus you got to have warm cheese at five A.M! There were also amazing walks that you could take surrounded by vegatation. The farm also has relaxing hammocks. The meals were excellent! There were egg sandwiches for lunch and always something very yummy for dinner. Overall i would rate the farm 10 out of 10.

Stayed July 2008
new york city
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2008

I can only say that whatever I missed the first time, I will surely do the second time.
I've travelled to Italy numerous times but I would have to say that this was my favorite place. Originally I'd planned to stay for 2 days, but changed that to 4 days shortly after arrival. Coming from New York City, it didn't take me long to realize that finding peace like this would be hard to come by. Italyfarmstay is healing and rejuvenating .. the combination of fresh air, eating organic home grown food, lovingly prepared by Maria (Antonello's mom), hiking with Giuseppe (Antonello's dad) who often sang Neopolitan and Sicilian songs while he proudly lead you about the farm, communing with nature and the animals, yoga and cooking classes, and sharing this experience with fellow guests who were a unique mix of kind and interesting people is the best prescription for whatever your state of mind.
Antonello is gifted at making everyone feel comfortable and welcome. He juggles activities with humorous stories and you are sure to enjoy every moment.
There are no schedules here. Your day is custom made according to whatever you care to do -- whether that be partaking in activities or relaxing in a hammock on the patio. Mid summer in Italy brings 2 months of mostly sunny days and the combination is unbeatable.
The lovely town of Sora is an easy hike away and Thursday is market day -- oh what fun for shoppers .. I came away with really cute cotton dresses and sandals at good prices.
Italyfarmstay is a gem. I was very sad to leave and came to feel like a member of the family. I will return again very soon.

• Liked — warm, friendly, humble proprietors
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
Portsmouth, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2008

This is a wonderful farm in a heavenly location. it was relaxing and exciting. My tent was surprisingly comftable. Dinner was a special experiance watching people from all around the world interact. The food was homemade cooked by Antonellos glorious mother who spends hours lovingly perfecting food fresh from the gardens picked that day!, I loved the sandwhiches, zucchini flower, plums and figs. There are hammocks and books, music a foozball table and loads of beautiful hikes to keep you occupied during the day. Antonello gets people together to participate in things like, horsebackriding, cooking classess, language classes, yoga, mountain trekking, biking to name a few. However i would say if you wanted to do the paragliding you must emphasise this to Antonello from day one as its slightly more difficult for him to arrange, and you cant always go because of the winds. Theres also a stunning private beach around one hours drive from the farm. It was my faviourite holiday because of the variety and quality of guests and exceeded my expectations because of the personal effort Antonello puts into making sure each guest is enjoying themself. If you dont visit italyfarmstay you have missed out!

• Liked — The enviroment on the farm
  • Disliked — The Grapes dont ripen untill August - September
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
Italy Farm Stay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2008

The waterfall hike provided at Italy Farmstay by Antonello Siragusa was absolute fun and excitement. The high Appinnine canyon that we hiked was beautiful and filled with pristine cascades and intriguing caves, cliffs, and trail layout. The views were spectacular! The hike was both enticing and challenging, and the breathtaking waterfall and natural formations made this hike a rush for all of us. This was an awesome way to end our most enjoyable stay at Antonello's farm. We definately plan on returning to this area some day and when we do we certainly will take this hike again. Fantastico!
Richard Daun

• Liked — Beautiful, Quiet setting, and interesting people
  • Disliked — No comment
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2008

We stayed but a few days and thoroughly enjoyed our R&R from the hectic life of backpacking across Europe. The farmstay is simple but adequate and is a work in progress. This adds to the charm. The situation with the owners and the staff seemed a bit funny though and it was quite an awkward atmosphere. IMO this was due to both parties, not just one. The soul of the whole operation, although he probably isn't aware is the sweet welcoming Guiseppe. What a gem! He taught us Italian (he speaks very little English), patience, how to search for wild asparagus and to appreciate life (with a bit of his homemade vino!). Without him I think the farm would be a little dull and meeting him was the highlight of our whole trip to Italy! My only regret is that I had to leave in a hurry (to get a lift into town) and couldn't say a proper goodbye.

For a bit of peace and tranquility and the rare opportunity to sample 50 euro cent Italian coffees in town and surround yourself with proper "locals", this is the place. Oh and the staff at Pizza shop in town are also very lovely and reinstated our faith in the friendliness of Italian people.

• Liked — Guiseppe!
  • Disliked — The weird vibe from the owners to the staff and some of the guests
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pescosolido
B&B Portella Delle Fate
#1 of 3 in Pescosolido
Agriturismo la Pesca
Agriturismo la Pesca
#1 of 2 in Broccostella

Been to Italy Farm Stay? Share your experiences!