“Enjoyable Stay!!”

Somerset Arms
Leicester
“Enjoyable Stay!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

Negatives first....Erm there wasn't any!! Stayed last night for one night, room was fine, maybe heading towards a lick of paint soon but it added to the character of a lovely old building! If walls could talk eh? A really comfy bed dressed with lovely fresh clean linen! A nice powerful shower and nice fresh clean towels! A nice quiet and comfy sleep!

The bar and restaurant was clean tidy with a couple of big open fires, I could imagine nice cosy place on a cold winters night! I had the 16oz steak in the evening (diet starts tomorrow) it was superb with plenty of chips and trimmings! All very well presented too! I opted for a bacon and sausage sandwich in the morning, delicious!

Kate and crew certainly know how to make your stay both comfy and pleasurable! Thankyou.

Finally, if your into live folk music, Tuesday night is the night!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Sidcup, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

i spent one night while visiting friends staying at centre parcs. the young man who checked me in was friendly and showed me to my lovely room. the decor was tasteful and reflected the character building. the bed was lovely, comfortable and clean. the free standing bath was amazing, equally so the shower. yes the water took a while to come through hot, but what would you expect in an old building. there are a few bench marks i have when staying in rooms, and this is the first that has come up to expectations. ie. the hand towels are never big enough for drying long hair....i got it here......a plug near or under the mirror for hair drying....i got it here.The landlord Roy was friendly and his breakfast topped the stay off. plenty of refills and toast. i actually got a REAL mushroom ( not tinned!!) and perfectly cooked eggs. i wouldn't hesitate to recommend this accomodation.a real little gem in a country location.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank sue w
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

Myself and a business colleague stayed here last week for one night.

I paid £56 for a double room single occupancy.

Let's get the negative stuff out of the way.

The first impression of this hotel is not good at all.

The stairs and landing carpet is in desperate need of a good clean or, better, a complete change and the walls need a lick of paint too.

The paintwork and wallpaper in my room was chipped and looking like it had seen better days and my general feeling was that the room hadn't really been cleaned properly.

The bathroom housed an ugly shower cubicle that didn't look clean and there was no shelf on which to put my washbag either.

Outside in the garden, I could have done without having to dodge the dog muck too as I walked around.

Breakfast is a whopping £12.50 and although tasty I felt pretty robbed as my half filled plate arrived in the morning.

The tables had not been cleaned that well as I found out when I tried to dislodge my glass that had stuck to the surface.

I have to say that the dinner we had here was very good indeed and the service and attention we received was first class in many ways.

Better cleaning, new carpet and new paintwork and I'd recommend this place to anyone.

Such a shame.

I hope they take the advice in the right spirit.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel but have your evening meal here.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
, Owner at Somerset Arms, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to give us your comments, both here and on other sites. We always take guest comments very seriously and try to rectify any problems where possible.

Thank you also for your kind comments regarding food and service, we strive to achieve a friendly and family atmosphere and it appears that on this occasion we have achieved that.

The general decor as you stated is getting tired and indeed we have a programme of works which has already commenced and will soon bring this grand old building back to its glory.

The dog poo in the garden is something we battle with daily, being family and dog friendly brings with it just such problems I'm afraid. My gardener has been instructed to be more vigilant and we now provide pooper-scooper bags when required.

I was perplexed to see your comments regarding our tables being sticky, we sanitise and wash them down many times daily. I have inspected several of them and have found that the sanitiser we are using is reacting with the varnish and creating a sticky surface. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and we will be rectifying this immediately.

Finally to our breakfast, I'm sorry you felt this was expensive at £12.50, but this does include unlimited tea, coffee and freshly squeezed orange juice, cereals and muesli, toast with home made preserves and a choice of cooked breakfast including smoked salmon and scrambled egg. We also offer our "working man special" which is full english with tea or coffee and toast, priced at £7.50. Having checked it would appear that this was not communicated to you, for this I apologise.

To sum up you have raised some valid points, we thank you for that and hope to be able to welcome you again at The Somerset Arms.
Oban, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

What a great time, what a great place and what great people too! I've been to the Somerset Arms a few times now and I always get a warm welcome. Couldn't speak more highly of the place!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
, Owner at Somerset Arms, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words, it makes all our hard work worthwhile to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you again here at The Somerset Arms.
Haslemere
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

I recently spent a weekend at Somerset Arms and had a great time. I was travelling alone and so a friendly face was exactly what I needed upon arrival. Was given a great sized room, with free standing bath....heaven! Food was good, locals were friendly and the beer was cold! Overall a great three night stay!

Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
, Owner at Somerset Arms, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Thank you for your kind comments, it makes all our hard work worthwhile to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you again here at The Somerset Arms.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

Awful place to stay - so lets start with my comments.... Disrespectable staff to welcome u as u enter. Pub was completely packed and very loud through out stay. But when finally asked if i wanted serving it went quiet, so felt everyone there knew my name and as the lady behind the bar said my room it could of been anyone to walk up there!! Get in room through smelly dirty staircase, not shown to room, walk in room and smelt damp and was freezing cold. Light in the bathroom didn't work, bed sheets and towels were dirty, food list was minimal and had to choose a burger as nothin else was appealing, waited over an hr for service of our meal, and as there was 6 including us in dining i shouldn't c how this happened!! Constant noise from pub finally gettin sleep at 1am only to woken by the intense heat in the room only to open window and hear a cockerel crowin at 4am!! Breakfast was just as bad as night before under done eggs and over burnt toast, went out all day Saturday and had to seek food at local pub which i wish we had stayed at as the state of ours! The shower couldn't fit me a tiny 5 foot woman in let alone a bigger person had to wait for hot water and no room to wash my hair could not wait to return home!!! Overall bad experience and wasn't very clean especially the chef smoking by back door!!! And simply watched him never re washin his hands!!! Felt like i should of complained but haven't spent the night in hospital due to food poisoning felt that my lesson is don't always go by "good" reviews and photos..... Mis leading and ridiculously priced!!!!

• Stayed June 2012
4 Thank loopyprincess1987
, Owner at Somerset Arms, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
It is such a shame that after telling us how much you enjoyed your stay on checkout you and your partner decided to write such damaging reviews of our business and not bring any of your serious concerns to our attention whilst you were here! I am at a loss as to why you would do this but will endeavour to respond to your allegations.
As our excellent reviews show (with the exception of yours and your partners of course) we pride ourselves on the family atmosphere and friendly service we provide! If you feel you didn't experience this then I sincerely apologise.
You state that our pub was completely packed and yet then state that there were only 6 of you dining that evening. A bit confusing I'm sure you will agree!
We have a full time housekeeper who religiously ensures that our bedrooms and public areas are kept in a condition that reflects the high standards that we strive to achieve. However being a 165 year old building there is always work to do but we feel that the age and history of this building adds to its character and is certainly not dirty or smelly as you state. We make no apology for not being a modern 5 star city hotel!
You have stated that your bedsheets, pillow cases and towels were dirty, are you seriously telling me that you were prepared to sleep in dirty sheets for two nights and not bring this to our attention? I find this very hard to believe! Our laundry is looked after by a professional company whom we have had no problems with in over two years of trading.
You then stated that you were kept awake by noise from the bar until 1am, our bar closes at 11pm and is cleared and locked by 11.30 every night. this is the law! So it is not possible that you were kept awake by noise from the bar until 1am! Coupled with the fact that we are situated in a quiet village on the outskirts of the Longleat estate I'm at a loss as to ascertain where the offending noise came from. As for the cockerel, we are in the country and the majority of our guests love the sound of country life, if you didn't, again I apologise.
Our menu is kept small as we cook everything on the premises and to order, utilising local produce and day boat cornish fish. Im sorry the only thing that took your liking was the burger!
Your scrambled eggs for breakfast were cooked with butter and double cream maybe you mistook their creaminess for being undercooked and your poached eggs on the Sunday morning were served as you asked 'as hard as a boiled egg'! So not sure how you could have thought they were undercooked!
Finally and in my mind your most serious allegation as to the chef smoking and not washing his hands! I am not only the owner but also the chef and I don't smoke! Neither do any of my kitchen stewards. I also have over 30 years experience as a chef working in such venues as The Houses of Parliament and Claridges and take food hygiene very very seriously.
To sum up, we always strive to exceed expectations, give value for money and deal with the very rare issues that arise in a professional manner but your review is completely out of character for our business, is full of untruths and seems to have been designed to do maximum damage to our business!
I would have to question your motives!
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

Where to start really.. Lets say looks are deciving rooms looked nothing like they do on the website, Arrived to a cold room.. Had to fiddle with the heating to make it livable. Dirty windows, carpet, pillow cases and sheet. Hand towels had lipstick on them.. Shower was tiny very hard to get to a good temp. Food was limited and poor, no phone signal, hard beds and a very run down in need of tlc. Would mever recomend unless it gets refurbished. I found the staff quite abrupt. A shame really because it looked the part. Was a good location and not long to get to longleat witch was planned

• Stayed June 2012
, Owner at Somerset Arms, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
I would refer you to the response i have given to your partners review above!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maiden Bradley
#3 of 25 in Warminster
Hunters Lodge Inn
Hunters Lodge Inn
#1 of 8 in Wincanton

Been to Somerset Arms? Share your experiences!