“Afternoon at the Amethyst Mine”

Amethyst Mine Lapland
Ranked #2 of 8 things to do in Luosto
More attraction details
Owner description: In the middle of Pyhä-Luosto national park on top of Lampivaara fell in Lapland Finland is a sustainable amethyst mine where visitors hear fascinating stories and dig their personal lucky amethyst.
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We went as part of our package from the week in Luosto. After a short snowmobile ride, we arrived at the site for a short educational presentation and tea. From there they walked us down into the mine (well lit steps) to a flat area with open dirt and rocks. With small hammers, we each were able to dig for gems and all found several small ones and were able to keep a few of them (large ones had to be purchased). My family enjoyed it (kids aged 13 and 9) as they love rocks. I felt however like it was a little rigged, almost like they planted the gems in the dirt.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

I took a bus from the Rovaniemi bus terminal to Luosto where I visited the Amethyst mine. The trip is about 1 hour and 45 minutes from pick up to drop off. I crossed the street to the Mine Shop where I was picked up by car and driven to the Pendolino which than took me to the mine. It was very interesting digging for the unpolished stone and I did find one which I got to keep. Going down into the mine was fun too. You may think it expensive when you see an polished stone for 5 euro in the gift shop but looking for one yourself was the best part and worth the money spent for the experience.

Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

We set off for the amethyst mine early morning and then we took the special amethyst vehicle up to the mine which is 500 plus metres above sea level.

After which we had a debrief on the mine and amethyst. Then it's the fun time digging the amethyst with diggers. Luckily our guide ask us to go to places where people dig before as the amethyst is usually deeper inside.

And boy we found some real solid amethyst gem hee hee. Fun.

Although tour is short but it was fun and entertaining.

1  Thank wonghuihua
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Visited mine in summer so a winter visit was fantastic. Interesting information given about amethysts and then down to dig for our own. Really enjoyable trip and recommended

Reviewed 10 February 2014

An interesting enough trip, but there isn't actually a mine - just an area of hillside covered over with a large shed. You get an interesting explanation of what goes on and get a go at searching for amethyst crystals amongst crushed rock under the shed. I found a really big one!