“Very, very disappointed”
Review of Mottram Hall

Mottram Hall
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

I've previously stayed here and had a wonderful time - so when my (then) fiancé and I were looking for a place to stay for our 'mini-moon' I instantly thought of Mottram Hall as its only a short drive for us.
When we arrived after our wedding reception, we had an awful and embarrassing check in experience, largely as we felt that paying cash wasn't what they wanted us to do.
Our room tarrif wasn't correct - but was resolved. But still, annoying after a long day.
Plus, there was only 1 receptionist and a number of people waiting to be seen to.
As I'd contacted the staff before to have non alcoholic wine for our stay (as I'm 6 months pregnant), I found a bottle of Shloer in our room. Yes, a lovely drink, but not wine and certainly not worth the £10 we'd been charged!
We also felt our 'suite' was not a suite and more of a delux room. I've stayed in a number of truly lovely hotels (The Lowry, etc) and know what suites are like!
So, the room. On the ground floor next to a fairly noisy corridor. A face cloth in the bathroom was dirty. Our towelling robes had seen better days. The sink did not drain well. The toilet did not flush well. The extractor fan did not work. The tv had approx 4 channels despite supposedly having full free view. With one window and lots of dark wood our room was dark. The room overall was cramped. Outside on the patio area were glasses and ashtrays which had been there for several days. We know this as there was an old newspaper next to them dated 21st August (it's now 30th).
I had organised a picnic with the guest services via email and it was a let down - overpriced and disappointing.
During our stay the local drain services attended the hotel, but unfortunately the drain must have been outside our room (sods law!) and he's been outside with his generator for over an hour - noisy and a bit unpleasant.
We have cancelled our dinner reservation for this evening as we are so disappointed. We are off to Alderley Edge.
At breakfast this morning, we had gone early but after a few mins there was a big queue if people waiting for food to arrive as the hot buffet had run out. Apart from yogurts, the cold buffet had run out. Apart from all bran & wheetabix, the cereal and pastries table had been almost eaten too. There was also approx 10 people waiting to be seated.
My husband has seen the receptionist a number of times and now has stopped bothering to complain as its plain embarrassing.
I feel totally let down as I convinced my husband to stay here. I'm really upset at our stay in the hotel and its really ruined our one and only chance at a honeymoon before baby comes.
I'm not a high maintenance guest by any means - but at £500 for a 2 night stay, I expect more than at a Travelodge.
Very upset.
Very disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank missjheath
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Dear MissJheath,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings the problems that recently occured during your recent visit to us.

After speaking to our Front of House Manager, I believe that your Husband has now discussed all of the issues that took place with her and we will be welcoming you back in the near future to re-try our Hotel and hopefully restore your faith in what we have to offer.

I realise that we cannot take away your past experience, but I do sincerely hope that your next visit to us will have you leaving with a much better perspective.

Should you require anything else prior to arrival, please do not hesitate to contact our reception team directly and they will be more than happy to help.

James Stewart

Write a ReviewReviews (1,683)

Reviewed 28 August 2013

A good hotel with helpful staff
No aircon in bedrooms which is a little surprising given the recent refurbishment of the bedrooms
Hotel a little sprawling and some bedrooms difficult to find easily
Breakfast was good but nothing special
Setting is beautiful and the spa is excellent

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2013

Dear KatieC587,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments about your recent stay.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the spa and you found our staff helpful. This is always a pleasure for us to here.

I do apologise however that you appear to have been a little disappointed with your room. If you would like to discuss this further, we would be happy to speak to you. Please feel welcome to contact our Front of House Manager with any feedback you would like to give us on Samantha.surridge@devere-hotels.com

We hope to welcome you back to Mottram Hall again in the future.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Having grown up in the area, we chose to stay at Mottram Hall when we came to visit family. I'd been there many times on business and my memories of Mottram Hall used to be of a grand place. It still contains some of that charm and looks ideal as you arrive down the long driveway with the Hall in the distance .

Upon arrival, a very helpful gentleman in a golf buggy picked us and our luggage up to take us to reception from the car park. Check-in was efficient with the staff being very helpful and providing us with a 'convenient' room.

The room was a bit small and made moving around interesting especially for my 7 month pregnant wife. There was no air-conditioning which whilst isn't normally an issue, the evening was very warm and as the room was ground floor, it meant the window couldn't be fully opened. There was also no security on the window (which needed replacing due to its poor condition) meaning it couldn't be left open whilst we were out or asleep.

The bar was incredibly busy due to a wedding taking place and there didn't appear to be enough staff to cope with the demand. This meant getting served took a while, almost to the point of us giving up.

Breakfast was busy and meant that several of the stations had no food at them when I went to collect things. It took a while for items to be replenished, however there were queues whilst people waited. The staff were trying their hardest and it appears the previous days wedding guests had all come for breakfast simultaneously which didn't help. It took so long to get butter for the toast meaning it was cold by the time it arrived.

I felt some of the shine Mottram Hall used to have has faded, but its still great value if you can find a good deal.

If you find my reviews of help, please let me know by giving me a helpful vote.

Room Tip: If there is no AC in your room, move to an upper floor especially on warm days.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Dear Kai G,

Thank you for your comments on Trip advisor.

I am delighted to hear that you found our staff friendly and welcoming, this does always make us cheerful.

However, I do apologise that there were a few aspects regarding your stay that do not seem to be up to Mottram Hall’s high standards, especially the broken window.

Feedback always helps us to improve the hotels services and I would be grateful if you would contact our Front of House Manager to discuss the issues that you have mentioned further so we can work on resolving these. Her email address is Samantha.surridge@devere-hotels.com

Reviewed 26 August 2013

We stayed here for a wedding held in the neighbourhood, having spent the previous night in a Travelodge on the way. Can't honestly say that there was that much difference between the two. The room was pokey and the wardrobe/drawer space virtually non-existent. We were right by some kind of delivery area and there was a lot of noise. It was a very hot night and the windows didn't open very far (just enough to let the noise in!) Staff were friendly and helpful but there was a strong feeling that in trying to be all things to all people the edges were getting rubbed off. It's also a great pity that in developing the building all sense of age has been lost - the 'library', for example, contains no books, just wallpaper printed with books!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Didosdad,

Thank you for your recent feedback on trip advisor.

I do apologise that you recent visit to us clearly did not match your expectations.

We would very much like to discuss this with you further as It does disappoint us when our guests leave disappointed.

If you could please contact our Front of House Manager on Samantha.surridge@devere-hotels.com and she will be more than to discuss this with you.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Went with my friend for a spa weekend. From the minute we walked up the steps we where met with a smile. Had a lovely meal at lunch time in the golf club bar and a meal at night in hotel where the staff again were fantastic. Everyone said hello and smiled, how refreshing. The spa was one of the best I have been to and Ive been to a few. If I could change anything it would be the next time I go to ask for a room with the patio doors looking onto the lake as this is a listed building a no air con... I would have given it a 5 if it had not been for the cold to frozen toffee pudding( but must say the staff apologised and I do believe we're genuinely sorry ) and the room was cool. Apart from that would love to go back again. I rate this higher than Slaley Hall and Oulton Hall in Leeds. Thank you staff it was a refreshing experience.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Dear GbmDurhamEngland,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent visit on trip advisor.

The team and I pride ourselves on our customer service, and nothing gives us greater pleasure than knowing that our guests have thoroughly enjoyed there stay with us.

I do apologise sincerely for the incident with the toffee pudding. Please allow me to assure you that this must certainly be an individual incident and we will ensure that this does not occur again.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

A break organised for a friends birthday playing golf. Excellent facilities, the deal offered to stop at the hotel was unbeatable. We went into Alderley Edge on the night time, the hotel is ideally located.
We ate in the claret Jug after playing golf and the food was great, we wil be coming back here in october for another birthday.
Never got chance to use the Spa or gym which again looked fabulous.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Robski1966,

Thank you for your feedback after your recent visit to us.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and took advantage of our fantastic golf course.

Next time you visit, I do hope you will have time to visit our fantastic spa facilties as they are definitely worth it.

We look forward to welcoming you back in October.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Disappointment after disappointment... We chose to stay here for a local wedding - 4 adults in 2 twin rooms. Lunch - had a go to bar twice to ask for service ,long wait for food to arrive and when it did a very basic poor chicken salad for £10. Room was small had to move a chair in order to get around bottom of the bed, bathroom very tired, and the bedroom window was small and looked out onto the kitchens. When we returned to the room at midnight from the wedding some fans presumably from kitchen were still running. I telephoned reception but they couldn't turn off the noise so took me to another room. This room was a long walk at other end of hotel. When i got to this second room the windows of this room wouldn't open (very warm evening) as appeared to be painted closed so returned even more disillusioned and exasperated back to original noisy room. Ironically there was literature in room titled " you deserve better ... Upgrade to a better room for £30" I certainly felt I deserved better from the hotel but not for an extra £30. How can they advertise themselves as they do and have customers turn up at such a beautiful location and give them a room that is small, tired, with view of kitchen and noisy with noise that continues through out the night.

Room Tip: Insist on a different room if given one that overlooks the kitchen the noise will continue through t...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rachel B
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Dear Rachel B,

Thank you for your comments on tripadvisor.

I do sincerely apologise that your recent visit clearly did not reach your expectations. This is certainly not the standard that we want our guests to experience, please allow me to assure you that this is not the Mottram way.

I would appreciate if you would discuss this with us further. Please could you contact our Front of House Manager on Samantha.surridge@devere-hotels.com who will be happy to speak to you regarding all of these issues.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mottram St. Andrew
#5 of 8 in Macclesfield
Bridge Hotel
Bridge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Prestbury

Been to Mottram Hall? Share your experiences!