“Lovely stay in a stunning setting”
Review of Mottram Hall

Mottram Hall
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I was resident in "The Lawrence Suite" and it was extremely comfortable. I enjoyed the restaurant and the evening meal was beautifully presented and delicious.
I had no problems, however, I was dining with a large group (annual budget meeting), and there were a number of grumbles about the lack of speedy service in relation to accompaniments for the meal (with a few colleaugues finishing before their "side orders" arrived).
We enjoyed a few drinks in a lovely setting and a thoroughly enjoyable breakfast set me up for the day! Real shame I don't play golf - since it looked ideal for a wee hit!
Thanks to all!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Dear AUFC19TEN,

Thank you for taking time to leave feedback on Tripadvisor. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. As you stated the setting here is really quite special so thank you for commenting on this.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mottram Hall in the near future.

James Stewart

Write a ReviewReviews (1,662)

Reviewed 9 December 2013

We recently had a christening celebration at De Vere Mottram Hall, in Mottram St Andrew. We live in neighbouring Alderley Edge and we're very familiar with the venue, although, to date, we've only used their hotel and gym facilities. Now don't get me wrong, the place is pretty spectacular and the drive up to the main building boasts a pretty impressive facade on approach. Unfortunately, the experience we had there with our christening party fell well short of our expectations and most certainly so in relation to the food/drinks aspect. The staff were professional looking and polite, lovely people, but didn't know what to do, what to look out for and how to serve. I found myself having to look out for them on a number of occasions and having to prompt them to attend to certain guests for various needs. I'm not in the hospitality business but it seemed I could certainly show them a thing or two when it comes service. They didn't even know to take guests coats and when glasses were repeatedly left empty for some considerable time throughout the day I, once again, found myself having to prompt the staff, whilst they stood chatting to each other. I was constantly on edge and on the lookout for the staff's recurring shortfalls. At one point, I again asked them to refill the glasses and they informed me that our quota had run out! I obviously increased the number of bottles required immediately, but they should have been monitoring the bottle numbers and should have kept me informed well in advance of simply stopping to serve without notice. What makes my complaint difficult is that they were lovely people, very nice and presentable, but just had little idea how to serve. We had a buffet meal for around 50 guests and at £20 or so per head, the price was a little on the high side for the menu we were given but the timing of how it was served was the most dissapointing aspect of the whole day and left me embarrased to say the least. The food started to arrive and I held back to let my family and guests serve themselves. The best I could say was the food was very average and some of the chicken dishes dry. Within 10-15min of the food being served, my wife informed me that the food was running out! I looked across and people were, what looked to be, scavenging the remains of a well underestimated table of leftovers! I was mortified!! I'll mention that there were no plates piled high with food and, in fact, everyone politely took very little, as it was clearly evident how little had been provided. I then approached the lady who seemed to be orchestrating things and said ''there is more food isnt there?'' she replied, ''yes, yes, we're just waiting for it to arrive from the kitchen''. However, by this time, most guests seemed resigned to the fact that there was no more and it was over and finished whatever morsal they'd managed to salvage from the remains, or worse still, missed out on a meal altogether!! I was so embarrassed. In fact, I suspect that, had we not asked, no further food would have been brought, which gave us the feeling that we were receiving extremely poor value for money and left nothing more than a bitter taste in our mouths. When the 2nd phase of food did eventually arrived, hardly anyone got up to get food as the 'time to get food moment' was well past. To add insult to injury, the 2nd 'lot' of food was left out for a very minimal period of time before it was cleared away and never to be seen again. I only noticed this as I was going to announce to people to help themselves to the buffet for a 2nd serving, before noticing it had already been cleared away. Sorry Mottram Hall, really dissapointed and embarrassed - especially on an occasion that can never be repeated on our sons christening. Don't be won over by appearances. De Vere Mottram Hall cannot do or say anything that could come anywhere near rectifying our disappointment. Don't risk your or your family's once in a lifetime experience!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear joseph_P333,

Thank you for your recent post on Tripadvisor. I am sorry that the Christening Celebration did not meet your expectations. We would like to discuss this further with you and would ask that you contact Isara Fraser, Front Office Manager via email on isara.fraser@devere-hotels.com and she will be able to assist you.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Just returned from a lovely weekend stay at this venue. On arrival allocated a room which I thought was a bit on the small side with a no view so I went back and spoke to the receptionist.
On booking I had requested a quiet location more so if they had a wedding over the weekend
and mentioned this to the young lady who was very accommodating and re-allocated us to
room 443. Great a lovely room with a view of the lake and the most comfortable bed I have
ever had the pleasure of sleeping in. We slept undisturbed both nights despite the hotel being
busy with black tie functions and a wedding. The leisure complex was also just the job despite
the outdoor Jacuzzi being out of action on the Sat evening. The changing facilities were
very good despite the security locks on the locker being a pain I gave up in the end and
left it unlocked. The brexie both mornings was excellent plenty of choice .Had we eaten
at the hotel in the evenings this venue may well have deserved an excellent rating as it
was we went into the nearby village of Alderly Edge. The fact that this establishment has
recently been refurbished is obvious and a credit to the owners. All the staff were very
friendly and eager to help if required. Good job keep it up. Accordingly I would have
no hesitation in recommending this hotel and thought it represented very good value
for money. We may even consider a return visit in the future with friends or family.

Room Tip: Nice and quiet 441-445
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CYMROCARMEL

Dear CYMROCARMEL,

Thank you for taking time to post your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am only to happy to hear that your stay was enjoyable and that we were able to reallocate your room.

We hope to welcome you back to Mottram Hall again in the future.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 8 December 2013

We got engaged here in 2008 and returned for a 2 night stay for our 4th wedding anniversary - Dec 2013.
Firstly we noticed they had completed a stunning refurbishment with decor perfect & in fitting with the age & style of the hotel.
Right from check in we were made to feel special and treated like royalty. This service ran all the way through the hotel staff, a credit to every one of them and the management.
On our anniversary we ate in the restaurant and we're served by Danny whose service was impeccable. His knowledge on the dishes & wines was outstanding and he found the perfect balance of being professional, knowledgable and friendly. He is a true credit to De Vere hotels.
The food was exquisite without a pretentious price.
After our meal we spent a few hours in the hotel bar and chatted to the friendly bar staff who were also excellent (sorry, didn't get their names but they were working on the evening of 5th December).
We had an issue with our room on the first night. It was really hot and we couldn't work out how the shower worked. As soon as we reported this to the reception staff we were moved into a new room which was even more beautiful than our original room (which was lovely).

We had 2 spa treatments each in the package we booked and both were superb. Again, the spa staff couldn't do enough for us and were incredibly talented.

In summary, a perfect stay with outstanding service and food in stunning surroundings. Well done De Vere!!

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear GazzyB,

Thank you for your comments in regard to your recent stay at Mottram Hall. I am so pleased to hear that you chose to come back to Mottram Hall for your anniversary stay and that we were able to make your return visit special.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

On arrival (a Saturday) there was a large wedding taking place, which is expected. We checked in quickly enough and went to our room, which was small but comfortable. The heat in the room was ridiculous and we couldn't seem to cool the room down. At night the pipes then seemed to be banging, we were informed by the Hotel that this was the design and that they couldn't do anything to rectify this. The guests then from the wedding decided to run up and down the corridors screaming.

We stayed here on a B&B deal, the breakfast was fine, with plenty of selection. Sunday dinner was fantastic for the money, well worth going just for that.

Grounds are lovely, along with the gym and spa facilities.

If I were to return, I wouldn't stay on a Saturday night.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Louise R,

Thank you for taking time to post your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am sorry that not all elements of your stay met your expectations but am pleased you were able to enjoy our leisure and spa facilities.

If you would like to discuss this further please contact Isara Fraser, Front Office Manager via email on isara.fraser@devere-hotels.com and she will be able to assist you.

We hope to see you again at Mottram Hall in the future.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Loved it.

Can't wait to go again!

This place has recently been done up and I thoroughly enjoyed my spa day with friend :-)
We didn't stay at the hotel, so can't comment on rooms.
The lunch at the spa was good and the staff were excellent and friendly. We loved the range of saunas, the treatments, and the pool/jacuzzi.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear J0nesy_1981,

Thank you for your recent post on Tripadvisor. We are pleased that you enjoyed your spa day with us, that the team were happy to assist you and you had a relaxing day.

We hope that you have the opportunity to stay at the hotel during a future visit.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

We had not visited this hotel since it's refurbishment, we were not disappointed, each room and their colours were gorgeous. In addition, as it's so near Christmas, each area was decorated beautifully, each Christmas tree being a different colour and fabulously decorated, a bonus for us. The staff very friendly and helpful. Rooms spotless. as we love De Vere hotels, one of the things we look forward to is the breakfast, however on this occasion, disappointed, The cooked breakfasts were barely warm, informed the staff on our way out of restaurant, who said he would check it out. 2nd morning, sad to say, same experience. We thought going down at 9am, one would expect hot food. the scrambled eggs looked like custard, fried eggs hard, bacon hard. We again informed reception staff on checking out, they seemed surprised. would we visit De Vere again, probably,because of their surroundings, but would expect hot food.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Alibee1Wirral,

Thank you for taking time to post your comments on Tripadvisor. I am so pleased that you continue to return to Mottram Hall. I do apologise about the breakfast, thank you for bringing it to my attention to ensure it is addressed.

We hope to welcome you back to Mottram Hall again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mottram St. Andrew
#2 of 5 in Wilmslow
Hollin Hall Hotel
Hollin Hall Hotel
#5 of 8 in Macclesfield

Been to Mottram Hall? Share your experiences!