“Very disappointing”
Review of Mottram Hall

Mottram Hall
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I stayed here recently whilst on a business trip. On the plus side, the staff were very polite, helpful and professional. The rooms are lovely and the food was pretty decent. However, I had an awful night's sleep due to some form of party in a room below or to the side of mine. The walls are evidently paper thin. I phoned the reception to complain about the noise which I believe was a Christmas night out. The receptionist did send someone along the corridor but the noise continued throughout the night. I mentioned to my colleague the next morning who was in a room along the other end of the corridor and she heard the same noise! I made mention when I checked out the next morning but haven't heard back from the hotel since. So what could have been a great stay turned into a fitful night's sleep due to some late night partying. My advice to the mgt are to locate parties somewhere else and do somethign about them!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear Pocketmuncha,

Thank you for taking time to post your comments on Tripadvisor. I am sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations but am pleased that the team here at Mottram Hall were courteous to you. We would like to discuss the sleep disturbance with you and would ask that you contact Isara Fraser, Front Office Manager via email on isara.fraser@devere-hotels.com and she will be able to assist you.

We hope to hear from you soon.

James Stewart

Write a ReviewReviews (1,683)

Reviewed 16 December 2013

I went with 5 other ladies for an overnight spa day and what a fantastic time we all had. From the moment we entered the hotel the staff were so attentive and helpful from reception to the bar staff, the pool and spa attendants and at night the restaurant staff (Danny)again couldn't do enough for us. We had our spa treatments on the following morning and again all the staff made us feel so welcome and important. I had Louisa who was friendly but professional and ensured I relaxed and made the most of my treatment.

We will return! thanks for making my friend's special birthday treat so wonderful.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Elaine S,

Thank you for your feedback in regard to your recent stay at Mottram Hall. I am so pleased to hear that you and your friends had an enjoyable stay and that the staff were on hand to ensure your Mottram experience was special.

We look forward to seeing you return in the near future.

Reviewed 13 December 2013

Spent the day at the new and beautiful spa at Mottram Hall. The Therapists at the spa are attentive, knowledgable and friendly. I opted for the deep tissue massage and it was brilliant. We enjoyed a coffee and lunch at the cocktail bar within the hotel and it was lovely. Recommend that you do not choose the spa lunch at £15 because the cocktail bar offer a much better choice and it's better value for money. This would be my only criticism. Great spa and great treatments.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jonledner
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2013

Dear Jonledner,

Thank you for your recent post on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to hear that you had a relaxing day at the spa. It is always so lovely to hear positive comments about the therapists and that your treatments were thoroughly enjoyed.

We hope that you choose to return to Mottram Hall again in the future.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

Stayed here for my sons wedding
The venue is impressive and the staff very helpfull ,we had a CHAMBRE UNIQUE ,(room 339) which was nice but a bit on the small side .
The wedding venue and the reception were excellent ,my son and his wife were treated to a very special day and it all seemed to go to plan.
The wedding breakfast was cooked well and nicely presented .
The buffet breakfast was comprehensive and would cater for all tastes.
We had a lovely time here and appreciate that the wedding went so well.
Thanks to all the staff.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Dear Clive441,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay at Mottram Hall on Tripadvisor. We are pleased to hear that your son and daughter in law’s wedding was such a special day. It is always so lovely to hear that our staff ensured that you enjoyed your stay.

We hope to welcome you back to Mottram Hall in the future.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I was resident in "The Lawrence Suite" and it was extremely comfortable. I enjoyed the restaurant and the evening meal was beautifully presented and delicious.
I had no problems, however, I was dining with a large group (annual budget meeting), and there were a number of grumbles about the lack of speedy service in relation to accompaniments for the meal (with a few colleaugues finishing before their "side orders" arrived).
We enjoyed a few drinks in a lovely setting and a thoroughly enjoyable breakfast set me up for the day! Real shame I don't play golf - since it looked ideal for a wee hit!
Thanks to all!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear AUFC19TEN,

Thank you for taking time to leave feedback on Tripadvisor. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. As you stated the setting here is really quite special so thank you for commenting on this.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mottram Hall in the near future.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

We recently had a christening celebration at De Vere Mottram Hall, in Mottram St Andrew. We live in neighbouring Alderley Edge and we're very familiar with the venue, although, to date, we've only used their hotel and gym facilities. Now don't get me wrong, the place is pretty spectacular and the drive up to the main building boasts a pretty impressive facade on approach. Unfortunately, the experience we had there with our christening party fell well short of our expectations and most certainly so in relation to the food/drinks aspect. The staff were professional looking and polite, lovely people, but didn't know what to do, what to look out for and how to serve. I found myself having to look out for them on a number of occasions and having to prompt them to attend to certain guests for various needs. I'm not in the hospitality business but it seemed I could certainly show them a thing or two when it comes service. They didn't even know to take guests coats and when glasses were repeatedly left empty for some considerable time throughout the day I, once again, found myself having to prompt the staff, whilst they stood chatting to each other. I was constantly on edge and on the lookout for the staff's recurring shortfalls. At one point, I again asked them to refill the glasses and they informed me that our quota had run out! I obviously increased the number of bottles required immediately, but they should have been monitoring the bottle numbers and should have kept me informed well in advance of simply stopping to serve without notice. What makes my complaint difficult is that they were lovely people, very nice and presentable, but just had little idea how to serve. We had a buffet meal for around 50 guests and at £20 or so per head, the price was a little on the high side for the menu we were given but the timing of how it was served was the most dissapointing aspect of the whole day and left me embarrased to say the least. The food started to arrive and I held back to let my family and guests serve themselves. The best I could say was the food was very average and some of the chicken dishes dry. Within 10-15min of the food being served, my wife informed me that the food was running out! I looked across and people were, what looked to be, scavenging the remains of a well underestimated table of leftovers! I was mortified!! I'll mention that there were no plates piled high with food and, in fact, everyone politely took very little, as it was clearly evident how little had been provided. I then approached the lady who seemed to be orchestrating things and said ''there is more food isnt there?'' she replied, ''yes, yes, we're just waiting for it to arrive from the kitchen''. However, by this time, most guests seemed resigned to the fact that there was no more and it was over and finished whatever morsal they'd managed to salvage from the remains, or worse still, missed out on a meal altogether!! I was so embarrassed. In fact, I suspect that, had we not asked, no further food would have been brought, which gave us the feeling that we were receiving extremely poor value for money and left nothing more than a bitter taste in our mouths. When the 2nd phase of food did eventually arrived, hardly anyone got up to get food as the 'time to get food moment' was well past. To add insult to injury, the 2nd 'lot' of food was left out for a very minimal period of time before it was cleared away and never to be seen again. I only noticed this as I was going to announce to people to help themselves to the buffet for a 2nd serving, before noticing it had already been cleared away. Sorry Mottram Hall, really dissapointed and embarrassed - especially on an occasion that can never be repeated on our sons christening. Don't be won over by appearances. De Vere Mottram Hall cannot do or say anything that could come anywhere near rectifying our disappointment. Don't risk your or your family's once in a lifetime experience!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear joseph_P333,

Thank you for your recent post on Tripadvisor. I am sorry that the Christening Celebration did not meet your expectations. We would like to discuss this further with you and would ask that you contact Isara Fraser, Front Office Manager via email on isara.fraser@devere-hotels.com and she will be able to assist you.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Just returned from a lovely weekend stay at this venue. On arrival allocated a room which I thought was a bit on the small side with a no view so I went back and spoke to the receptionist.
On booking I had requested a quiet location more so if they had a wedding over the weekend
and mentioned this to the young lady who was very accommodating and re-allocated us to
room 443. Great a lovely room with a view of the lake and the most comfortable bed I have
ever had the pleasure of sleeping in. We slept undisturbed both nights despite the hotel being
busy with black tie functions and a wedding. The leisure complex was also just the job despite
the outdoor Jacuzzi being out of action on the Sat evening. The changing facilities were
very good despite the security locks on the locker being a pain I gave up in the end and
left it unlocked. The brexie both mornings was excellent plenty of choice .Had we eaten
at the hotel in the evenings this venue may well have deserved an excellent rating as it
was we went into the nearby village of Alderly Edge. The fact that this establishment has
recently been refurbished is obvious and a credit to the owners. All the staff were very
friendly and eager to help if required. Good job keep it up. Accordingly I would have
no hesitation in recommending this hotel and thought it represented very good value
for money. We may even consider a return visit in the future with friends or family.

Room Tip: Nice and quiet 441-445
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CYMROCARMEL

Dear CYMROCARMEL,

Thank you for taking time to post your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am only to happy to hear that your stay was enjoyable and that we were able to reallocate your room.

We hope to welcome you back to Mottram Hall again in the future.

Best Wishes,

#5 of 8 in Macclesfield
Bridge Hotel
Bridge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Prestbury

Been to Mottram Hall? Share your experiences!