“Lovely stay family rooms a bit noisy !”
Review of Mottram Hall

Mottram Hall
Reviewed 23 January 2014

we had a 3 night stay in Mottram Hall - Thur/Frid and Saturday - Thursday & friday was peaceful enough but on Saturday night we had 3 rooms next to each other as my brother in aw & his kids stayed with us .. so we were in a family room but it was ridiculous the walls are paper thin we could hear full conversations and other things next door !! even across the hall ... not ideal when your trying to get 2 children to sleep .. needless to say saturday night was long & difficult & we all said never again over a weekend. They seem to group all the family rooms together and I see the logic in that but when its that noisy it is impossible to get a 2 and a 5 year old to sleep !

Good points - Staff are lovely all very friendly and chatty. Restaurant is fabulous the food was exceptional - our waiter Danny was very friendly couldn't do enough to help us & was very good at making recommendations which was good as the menu could do with descriptions other wise you have to guess what the dish name means! The new uniforms look great but the log aprons are a bit OTT they look like they should be in a coffee house .. maybe if they weren't as long !
Swimming pool was lovely nice & warm - The Spa looked lovely will try & get back soon to use it !!

Overall it was a lovely relaxing midweek break , weekend was very noisy & no0t a good sleep.
Big thanks to Ruth, Kendal, Danny & Tom who looked after our party. Service is exceptional.

Room Tip: if you don't have kids & want a peaceful night avoid the 370's section !
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Dear kizmax,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Tripadvisor about Mottram Hall. I am sorry that you sleep was disturbed on the Saturday night, our apologies for this. Thank you for mentioning the staff members that made your stay special, I am pleased they were able to do this.

We hope to welcome you back to Mottram Hall in the near future.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Just spent the weekend at Mottram Hall with all the family. All staff were courteous and welcoming.I was there for my birthday and was made to feel so special from the reserved car space to the chocolates in the room.Nothing was any bother,if we asked we got.Looking forward to going back without the grandchildren(who were great)but with the golf clubs.
Peter W.

Room Tip: Overlooking the duck pond. 236 etc.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear peter w,

Thank you for taking time to post your feedback in regard to your recent stay at Mottram Hall. I am so pleased that your birthday weekend was enjoyed by your family and the whole team were able to make it so special.

We look forward to welcoming you back with your golf clubs in the future.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

I will try to give an honest review.
Grounds excellent, Room small cheap noisy, no fridge? what. .Room in between a corridor outside with some kind of droning noise.
No robes get them from the spa and receive a dirty worn brown collared cream not white robe.
Spa treatment ok but expensive.
Price of drinks extortionate.
Pub up the road bulls head far better, turn left out of the hotel.
Food...
Terrible and disgustingly expensive... Steak over £28 for a cheap small fillet, then they charge you for side orders no veg no potatoes so your meal costs around £35 just for your main then add a starter at £9.99 add your veg and chips or potatoes and £50. add a drink at £28 a bottle. pheeew where do they get it from.
We did eat out the next night and saved £50.
Pool area small full of screaming kids, great just when I got away from my kids.
Slightly dirty pool area and tiles. Jacuzzi dirty, steam good sauna good but freeze outside to get there.
Staff miserable and used to their jobs. Atmosphere terrible no music nothing but old furniture and old décor.
Overall disappointed but then again most breaks we do lately seem to be cutting down on quality, I suppose its rip of Britain.. Will not be back, the Formby hall golf resort is 10 times better at half the price...

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank steve049
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear Capture Your Mo... W,

Thank you for your comments in regard to your recent stay at Mottram Hall. I am sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. We would like to discuss this further with you and ask that you would email Mark Spanton, Conference and Events Manager via email at mark.spanton@devere-hotels.com and he will be able to assist you.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

The Claret Jug bar and restaurant offers excellent quality food by friendly and couteous staff. The management team are always on hand and try to accomodate any requirements. The only negative is a lack of Guinness on Draft.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Andrew G,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about the Claret Jug on Tripadvisor. I am pleased that you enjoy the service and atmosphere of the Claret Jug at Mottram Hall. I apologise that there is no Guinness currently available, it is something that we can certainly look at being able to provide in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mottram Hall again.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Just returned from a two night break, the hotel certainly lived up to expectations, recently refurbished to a high standard.
The service was impeccable with all credit to the superb staff who made our stay thoroughly enjoyable.
The spa area is superb with a decent size pool and all the facilities you would expect from a hotel of this quality also incorperating a large gymnasium.
The room was spotless as were the public areas.
There is a championship golf course and the hotel is set in extensive grounds with landscaped gardens and woodland walks.
As you would expect from a hotel of this standard it's not cheap, if you can land a late deal then all the better, if you can afford it go for a suite they looked superb.
The only niggles I have are the room we stayed in had no opening window which to my mind made the room rather stuffy, and the food on the buffet breakfast wasn't very hot at all.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear Piemaster,

Thank you for your comments in regard to your recent stay at Mottram Hall. I am so pleased the team provided impeccable service and you enjoyed your two night stay. Thank you for bringing to my attention about the breakfast and the window, we will look into both of these issues.

We hope that you choose to return to Mottram Hall in the future.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

This spa has just been refurbished, and although the hotel itself is high end, the spa leaves much to be desired. My cousin and myself booked a spa day, and as I have skin lymphoma (manifested by red patches of skin); I mentioned it to the member of staff upon booking. She still accepted my request for a salt scrub and pedicure, however I questioned her if it was suitable for my condition. Her answer was that I would "have to discuss it when we arrived".

On the day of arrival we were asked to fill in the usual forms, and once we had donned our (rather cheap) robes and slippers, I was told that I would not be allowed in the pool, steam rooms or sauna, and the only treatment available to me was a manicure and pedicure, one of which, was what I wanted, but the manicure was not required, as I had just done my nails - I'd booked a salt scrub, after all!

When questioned which other facilities were available to me for my "spa day", she left myself and my cousin sitting there whilst she went off to ask her manager. She came back and just patronizingly repeated that I was, again, not allowed in the pool, etc. I was both disappointed and somewhat upset that I had paid a pretty high price just to get my nails filed and polished (very basic manicure - two days later and they are chipping already!!), when they could have advised at the time of booking - I would, quite honestly, have preferred my money back!

I explained that I'd had no contraindication from my consultant about using pools, etc; other than when receiving treatment for my condition, and I had indeed with the full approval of my consultant, taken holidays involving swimming, (even in the sea; tropical weather, etc. So off she went, once again, then the manager went off to ask his manager - still no go, so I said "I may as well just go home then!" She then relented and said that they "couldn't stop me going in if that was what I wished, but they (understandably) couldn't be held responsible for any bad reaction suffered as a result". I don't have a problem with that, but my issue was - why didn't the lady who booked me in originally make any checks? It would have saved myself and my cousin a good half hour waiting around for answers; not to mention the wasted day/journey there!!!

As it was, all I managed on our 'luxury' day was a ten minute dip in the jacuzzi, which was curtailed by the male staff asking us to get out as they needed to clean it! (I'd just been thinking that the water was somewhat scummy once switched on - disgusting!) Then, as we got out of there and put our slippers on, we waded through cold puddles (unexpected, slippers soaked) to the 'relaxation' area, as no one could go in the pool anyway, as there was an aqua aerobics session on - give me strength!!! I hate to moan, but the day really was a disaster from start to finish, and even though the staff were beautiful and charming young things, they seemed inexperienced, impersonal, patronising (some of them); and out of touch. Not a luxury experience by a long chalk!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

Dear snowbird29,

Thank you for taking time to comment on your recent Spa Day at Mottram Hall. I am so sorry that you were disappointed in this experience. We would like to discuss this with you and I would ask that you contact Jules Davenport, Spa Manager via email on jules.davenport@devere-hotels.com and she will be able to assist you further.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

We booked Mottram Hall for Make Events team aways days. Booking a lovely meeting room with fantastic facilities including on the tap cappacunos and haribos! The beds were soooo comfy, espa in the bedrooms, jars of pick and mix! We ate in the Carrington Grill - I had a wonderful lemon sole but the chocolate fondant was the BEST one I have ever had. The staff were so friendly, attentive and helpful at every turn. The bar staff were helping us choose cocktails and it was very obvious they had had proper training. We even got up for the gym and the class was fantastic, spin circuits. I would have not hesitation in recommending the venue to our clients as well as booking for a cosy and relaxing weekend away.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2014

Dear Holly M,

Thank you for you feedback in regard to your recent conference at Mottram Hall. We understand that the Conference Hub has been a valuable addition to the hotel so are delighted that you were able to utilise this.

We hope you choose to return to Mottram Hall again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mottram St. Andrew
#1 of 2 in Alderley Edge
The Midland
The Midland
#13 of 120 in Manchester

Been to Mottram Hall? Share your experiences!