“Awful experience. Very disappointed”
Review of Mottram Hall

Mottram Hall
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Having travelled for a weekend back in my old stomping ground, with six other couples from Yorkshire, I was looking forward to a well deserved rest. My family and I have used Mottram Hall extensively over the past 25 years, both staying in the Hotel and as members of the Club. Returning to our room (345) after a meal out, the heat and lack of any working air conditioning meant we had to have the window open. By 3.40am I was still awake, thanks to the noise from guests outside. I did get dressed and went to ask the night manager to sort the noise out. However, although the guests must have moved on, taxis coming and going until 5am were just as bad. I was down for breakfast at 8am. The cooked breakfast was almost cold, and as one of the first guests down, I at least expected the food to be hot and freshly cooked. All in all, the worst night I have ever spent in any hotel and the worst breakfast. Either sort out the air conditioning or warn guests that rooms at the front of the building will be very noisy. It doesn't matter how luxurious a venue is, if one cant get to sleep and the food is in edible. Next time a Premier Inn.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Helen M
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Helen M,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to hear that you stay did not meet your expectations. We would like to discuss this further with you and ask that you contact Isara Fraser, Front Office Manager via email at Isara.fraser@devere-hotels.com and she will be happy to assist you.

We look forward to hearing from you.

James Stewart

Write a ReviewReviews (1,683)

Reviewed 14 June 2014

I stayed here recently for a wedding. Obviously the hotel itself is impeccable and well maintained, but for c£160 I was disappointed in the bathroom. No shower caps or quality toiletries in line with expectations for the room and where the rooms have been overhauled (I've stayed about 4 times in the last few rooms) this is a cosmetic facelift only. The shower pressure was poor and is obviously the old suite with new tiling etc.

On check in we weren't told about breakfast time and couldn't find it in our book and when we rang reception... no answer. As a result of this we missed this as it finished at 10:00 which I thought was quite early for a post wedding breakfast. The walls are super thin and you hear ever conversation (and more!). The view of the air conditioning units was also unfortunate.

To be honest, I've stayed at much better hotels (ie the Grange in London) which you feel is real value for money and I feel this experience did not match expectations of a c£160 room and the hotel is capatalising on the fact you are attending a wedding and inflating the price.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank bumbalaa

Dear bumbalaa,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am very sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations. If you would like to discuss this further please contact Isara Fraser, Front Office Manager via email at Isara.fraser@devere-hotels.com and she will be happy to assist you.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Stayed 6/7th June.
Having stayed at Mottram on several occassions with my wife, I thought it was the perfect location for a golf break for a relatives 40th birthday. Having made contact with the hotel I received a call from Jonny Chaisty who listened to our requirments and was very professional in his approach.
We were sorting a party of 14 of which 11 were golfers.( Ages 15 to over 60) All questions asked of Jonny were answered promptly and professionally.
On arrival we were met by Jonny who ran through our break. Tee off times were punctual and the course was magnificent (I'm not a golfer but decided to walk round with the groups) Everbody was happy that the course, although challenging, was not too daunting to put them off their second round the following day. Unfortunatley halfway house was closed when we got there around 4pm, so didn't have chance to have a snack at the 9th.
Check in was slightly clumsy, as I had already sent all required information prior to arrival and although we were already checked we were asked to fill out names and addresses again (14 of us). Even this only took 10 minutes so was not too problematic.
Rooms were ok, slightly warm as mentioned by others but opening the window made a difference.
Meal and service in the Claret Jug was excellant on Friday night.
Rain on Saturday made the course a little tougher but everyone enjoyed their second round as much as their first.
Excellant all round will return
Tip for golfers. Pre-book buggies if on a 36 hole break

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear 1874Scott,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to hear that you all enjoyed your golfing weekend here with us at Mottram Hall and that Jonny was on hand to make sure that the weekend ran smoothly.

I am sorry that you had some problems at check in and thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I hope that you will return to Mottram Hall in the future.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

A recent three day stay in a suite as part of our Golden Wedding anniversary celebrations. The hotel is a beautiful country style house, and the grounds are superb, as indeed is the entire area surrounding it. The accommodation is first-class and all the staff we encountered were exceptional, tremendous ambassadors for the hotel. Their manager should rightly be proud of them. I would heartily recommend this hotel , especially for a special occasion such as ours. A warning note, the restaurant is very popular in the area and I would advise booking it when originally booking the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike M

Dear Mike M,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such fantastic feedback in regards to your recent stay. I am delighted that you chose Mottram Hall to celebrate your golden Wedding anniversary and I am so proud to hear such wonderful comments regarding all the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed at the hotel this weekend for a wedding. I'll start with the positives .
Beautiful looking building, Stunning surroundings, Great food for the wedding breakfast and a lovely room for the wedding. Very clean and well presented

Negatives
Check in i was told i would not be able to open a tab as i only had a debit card, you have to have a credit card... bemused
i was told i could only use the gym the next day until till check out time of 11am !!, or use that afternoon. i was at a wedding just about to go to the wedding breakfast therefore that wasnt feasible. Breakfast finished at 10 so i had 1 hour to use the gym.

Residents bar after the wedding, i asked for a pint and offered cash and was told they dont accept cash, so i offered my debit card..guess what they dont take debit cards, they only serve drinks if you have set up with a credit card !! i was then told i'll have to give my pint back haha. So 1 drink and bed which i thought was pretty disgusting

Bedroom was lovely, but no air con and no black out blinds/curtains !! and i had beautiful views of air conditioning units... which werent for my room

Breakfast was fine but the beans had been stood too long and tasted burnt.

Room Tip: ask for air con and a view of the gardens
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Mekon30

Dear Mekon30,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the wedding you attended here at Mottram Hall, however I am very sorry that not all aspects of your stay met your expectations. If you wish to discuss this further please contact Isara Fraser, Front Office Manager via email at isara.fraser@devere-hotels.com and she will be happy to assist you.

Kind regards

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Its a nice hotel with a golf course, it is presented as a quality hotel, check in was poor, the clerk did not honour the quoted price,so that was a dissapointing start. The main sitting/bar areas are well appointed and relaxingrooms were spacious and well appointed, its a pity they never spent some money on thicker walls. I could hear the conversations in the next room.

We ate in the club house,which was pricey for what it was, check out failed again with a mistake on the billing ,over all it was a bit of a let down against expectation.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank seadreamrascal
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Dear seadreamrascal,

Thank you for your recent post on Tripadvisor.

I am sorry to hear that your stay at Mottram Hall did not meet your expectations but am pleased that you enjoyed the golf course. If you would like to discuss your comments further, please contact Isara Fraser, Front Office Manager via email at isara.fraser@devere-hotels.com and she will be able to assist you.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

A huge country estate golf course hotel with many rooms (ours was very small with only 3ft around our bed) very poor veggie options. Great gym.. Probably the best we've encountered, good kidney bean shaped pool. There appears to be a wedding on every Friday and Saturday so a good sleep on those two nights could be difficult. It's a very busy function hotel too. All in all we had a good stay not great but good, really handy for Alderley (3miles away) stunning grounds and a great gym were it's saving in our opinion.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear TigerandScruffy,

Thank you for taking the time to leave comments in regard to your stay on Tripadvisor.

I am sorry that there were aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations. I am happy to hear however that you enjoyed our leisure facilities, they are indeed an asset to Mottram Hall. If you would like to discuss your comments further, please contact Isara Fraser, Front Office Manager via email at isara.fraser@devere-hotels.com and she will be able to assist you.

Kind Regards,

#5 of 8 in Macclesfield
Bridge Hotel
Bridge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Prestbury

Been to Mottram Hall? Share your experiences!