“Good all round hotel”

Mottram Hall
Buckingham, United Kingdom
“Good all round hotel”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Visually impressive hotel set in immaculate grounds on the edge of the Peak District.

Very friendly staff, good restaurant. Cocktail bar has a very limited cocktail menu - could do with some additions!

The rooms are relatively basic considering the aspirations of the venue, but very clean and well presented. Ours had a patio overlooking the lake, which served as a great place for breakfast on a warm summer morning.

Walls are rather thin and soundproofing is lacking.

The Spa is good, though I'm not too sold on the outside elements of it - two lukewarm rooms and a Jacuzzi. The massage therapists provide some general massage but not targeted treatment.

Overall, I was a happy customer, and would happily return.

Room Tip: Ground floor, by the lake.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Jon B,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on Tripadvisor in regards to your recent stay at Mottram Hall. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us especially that you were able to enjoy breakfast on the patio overlooking the lake.

We hope to welcome you back to Mottram Hall in the future.

James Stewart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My friend booked us into the hotel as a treat after a long journey attending a wedding on Saturday 14/06/2014. He booked two of the hotels rooms. One room was ready on our arrival but we had to wait for the other to become available and cleaned, which wasn't a problem as we enjoyed some drinks in the bar whilst waiting. We had rooms on either wing side of the hotel, my room was at the front overlooking the golf course and theirs was to the rear overlooking the pond. I'm afraid I had to visit reception about my room, as the tea/coffee hadn't been replenished from the previous guest and the wardrobe contained stained/dirty and obviously used complementary robes and slippers. So very disappointed especially as we had waited for this room to be cleaned and prepped. The receptionist was very apologetic and robes/slippers were delivered after about an hour, as were the replenishments for the tea/coffee BUT they didn't supply the 'Starbucks' pods or 'Starbucks' hot chocolate. The room was very hot and with no air conditioning the only option was to open the window, which didn't help. Also being at the front of the hotel the noise was awful from guests returning back to the hotel bar after The Claret Jug had closed and then early in the morning all you have is the noise from the traffic of people departing early/deliveries and the golf buggies. We also had roudy guests from a wedding that was in the hotel singing, shouting and knocking the bedroom doors from 2am til 3.30am, with NO response from phoning reception, another male guest had to request them to be quiet and return to their rooms. As a female guest staying in the room on my own, it did worry me that I couldn't get hold of reception for any assistance. So all in all, not a good nights sleep and not a good stay at all. I did inform reception of the problems I had had but apart from a quick polite apology, the reception staff were very busy checking people out and booking in arrivals. What had been a nice treat from friends turning into a disappointing stay. I'm afraid I REALLY wouldn't recommend Mottram Hall and would be dubious of booking with a De Vere hotel again.

Room Tip: Book a room at the back of the hotel but I wouldn't stay here in the Summer as the lack of air c...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear mariafI521CU,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to hear that your recent stay did not meet your expectations. We like to discuss this further with you and ask that you contact Isara Fraser, Front Office Manager via email at Isara.fraser@devere-hotels.com and she will be happy to assist you.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

I have just got back from my stay at the hotel and I must admit I felt underwhelmed by my stay in comparison to the stay I had at carden park last year.

For several reasons...
My bathroom door had a big chunk out of it at the bottom. Something that you don't expect at a four star hotel.

The walls were so thin that we could hear our neighbours even snoring!

The service at the bar was reasonable but the bar staff "overly" asked us what we wanted to drink, when they had literally just passed us the menu, i can't fault this too much as it's better to be like this then to be ignored but it was a little too much giving us a few seconds and we were clearly still looking at the menu.

The service in the restaurant again just average, the waiter tried to sell us a dessert off another menu despite us doing the set menu which we had already paid, which seemed a bit pushy.

We didn't really receive any service that was exceptional like we did at carden park, everyone there seemed to go out of their way to be friendly and helpful, which left me feeling quite underwhelmed. Although the girls at the reception at the gym always delivered a friendly smile.

The gym and spa facilities were good and to be honest I couldn't fault them, I really liked the idea of the outdoor area ( although the pictures make it look a lot more nicer than it actually is)

The rooms were reasonable but nothing better than reasonable, I thought for the money you spend for the room sky and luxury bath products like most hotels should be available with the room.

The bathrooms were very outdated, this didn't bother me, but just unexpected as any devere hotels I have been to have usually been exceptional.

I was also surprised that no one helped us with my luggage like most hotels I've been to.

Also I felt that the layout of the hotel was quite bizarre, having a reception desk as literally a desk and a chair is unusual and confused many of the hotel stayers when they walked in. It was like going for an appointment.

Overall, I did enjoy my stay ( thanks to good company) but I was definitely underwhelmed by the hotel and service!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Sarah D,

Thank you for taking the time to post you feedback on Tripadvisor in regards to your recent stay at Mottram Hall. I am sorry to hear you left the hotel feeling underwhelmed by your experience. We would like to discuss this further with you and ask that you contact Isara Fraser Front Office Manager via email at Isara.fraser@devere-hotels.com and she will be happy to assist you.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed here last Thursday and first impressions of the outside of the hotel were lovely but inside is a bit tired including our room. The room was very hot, no air conditioning and walls very thin, could hear next door. The bar staff were very friendly and helpful, we ordered bar food which was reasonably priced but drinks were expensive.
We didn't have time to use the leisure facilities.

1 Thank AAmandy
Dear AAmandy,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to hear that you found the team at the bar to very friendly and helpful.

I do apologise that not all aspects of your stay met your expectations. If you would like to discuss this further please contact Isara Fraser, Front Office manager via email at Isara.fraser@devere-hotels.com and she will be happy to assist you.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I like this hotel. This is the third time we have visited over the last 18 months - and whilst we never feel blown away, we have a good, reliable time!

The hotel itself is visually very attractive - and the grounds are immaculately kept.

The rooms are basic but clean - a little on the small side but for somewhere to sleep, they serve their purpose. The lack of bottled water in the room os one factor preventing 5 stars from us. The second area that needs improvement is the bathroom - it was clean but is a little dated and the water pressure isn't great.

The spa facilities are excellent - if you time it well and go when it isn't too rowdy with spa package guests, or with kids during children's swimming times, it's divine. There are plenty of loungers so bring a book and relax!

The food is of good standard for hotel fare and the evening service was fine. The breakfast service was terrible - the manager was not in control of his team and wads very flustered. He should have delegated roles and observed - prompting staff when they need to re-stock food, clear, etc. We waited 15 minutes for cups to drink our coffee from - and when they came the coffee was cold!

All in all - apart from breakfast which was a complete hash - it's a decent hotel with lovely facilities.

Dear Lou G,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to hear that you continue to return to Mottram Hall and always have an enjoyable experience.

I am sorry to hear that on this occasion that you found the breakfast service was not satisfactory and thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I hope you will continue to return to Mottram Hall in the future.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This was our second year we had taken our Golf Society to Mottram Hall and once again we left feeling we had been well looked after from all the staff there. The whole Golf experience is excellent and we even got to sample the superb pool/sauna in between rounds. The rooms, what little we saw of them, have a great modern look. The cost for the weekend is more than most venues but if you want something special you have to pay for it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Fletch0070,

Thank you for taking the time you leave your feedback on Tripadvisor in regards to your recent stay at Mottram Hall. I am so happy to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay and that the whole team were on hand to make sure your golfing trip such a success.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mottram Hall in the future.

Hooton Roberts, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Having travelled for a weekend back in my old stomping ground, with six other couples from Yorkshire, I was looking forward to a well deserved rest. My family and I have used Mottram Hall extensively over the past 25 years, both staying in the Hotel and as members of the Club. Returning to our room (345) after a meal out, the heat and lack of any working air conditioning meant we had to have the window open. By 3.40am I was still awake, thanks to the noise from guests outside. I did get dressed and went to ask the night manager to sort the noise out. However, although the guests must have moved on, taxis coming and going until 5am were just as bad. I was down for breakfast at 8am. The cooked breakfast was almost cold, and as one of the first guests down, I at least expected the food to be hot and freshly cooked. All in all, the worst night I have ever spent in any hotel and the worst breakfast. Either sort out the air conditioning or warn guests that rooms at the front of the building will be very noisy. It doesn't matter how luxurious a venue is, if one cant get to sleep and the food is in edible. Next time a Premier Inn.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Helen M
Dear Helen M,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to hear that you stay did not meet your expectations. We would like to discuss this further with you and ask that you contact Isara Fraser, Front Office Manager via email at Isara.fraser@devere-hotels.com and she will be happy to assist you.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mottram St. Andrew
#1 of 2 in Alderley Edge
Hollin Hall Hotel
Hollin Hall Hotel
#5 of 8 in Macclesfield

Been to Mottram Hall? Share your experiences!