“Amazing leisure facilities!”
Review of Mottram Hall

Mottram Hall
“Amazing leisure facilities!”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We were stunned by how fantastic the leisure facilities were, There is a stunning indoor pool ,a well equipped gym with up to date equipment ,an indoor and outside Jacuzzi, sauna and rooms with different heat therapies. There was also tennis courts and golfing facilities. All of these were in amazing condition and we wished we'd had longer to enjoy them. The hotel itself is a mass of corridors and stairs . Our room was tiny but after some furniture jiggling we thought it was alright. The staff were pleasant but service was a bit haphazard during our stay. All staff kept apologising for this different times wherever we were. The evening meal was a bit disappointing but the buffet breakfast was good and tasty.

Room Tip: Not lower ground floor as other guests were telling us how dark their rooms were and they had to wal...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear nandjm,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am very pleased to hear that you were stunned by the leisure facilities, the Alfresco Thermo Space is certainty an asset to Mottram Hall.

We do hope you will return to Mottram Hall in the future.

James Stewart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed one night on a Saturday evening. There was a wedding taking place at Mottram that particular Saturday. We arrived around 3.30pm and decided to have some food in the Claret Jug. We ordered two sandwiches and some nachos. We waited quite a long time for this to be delivered even though there was only one other group of three in the area at the time. Still the food was good, overpriced but good. We then went to check in and waited yet again. I don't mind waiting and understand when there is a wedding taking place that the hotel will be busier but please try and separate the area for wedding guests to check in. This would enable normal guests to be able to check in without feeling second rate. After some time in our room we went to have a drink in the Cocktail Lounge. We ordered two cocktails and one non-alcoholic drink. At the time of ordering we again we amongst the only ones in there but then some guests from the wedding party arrived and got served before us. Indeed I was on the verge of cancelling the order when we were given the drinks one by one. I understand that wedding parties are important to the hotel business but please don't forget your normal guests. We probably ended up paying a higher rate yet were made to feel less than important.

Just to mention about the rooms - I have paid a lot less at five star hotels and had better rooms! Dark, small and certainly not worth the money. Bed was of a good quality though.

Courtesy costs nothing and good service means repeat customers. Not sure I will return or recommend

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Angela T,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations. We would like to discuss this further with you and ask that you contact Isara Fraser, Front Office Manager via email at Isara.fraser@devere-hotels.com and she will be happy to assist you.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Leicester
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Every part of the hotel was beautiful including the grounds, restaurant, spa, our room and the lounges.

We paid extra to stay in the 'chambre unique' rooms which, from the sounds of other reviews, is probably worthwhile as we did not encounter noise, despite two weddings taking place during our stay, and the rooms were a decent size. Beds were extremely comfortable and the rooms were clean. Major problem with room temperate however as we were boiling with no air con in sight.

We ate at the Carrington Grill restaurant both nights. The food was generally outstanding and reasonably priced based on it's good quality. Although the waiting staff were extremely nice people, it is clear that they require extra training as the service was slow and many mistakes were made e.g. forgetting drinks orders, failing to bring items we required - not acceptable for a restaurant charging 12.5% for service.

The swimming pool and outdoor jacuzzi are lovely. However, another issue with heat as the spa area is way too hot to sit in when wearing a robe and you can't swim more than 20 lengths in that temperature!

Breakfast included a great variety of all the usual foods along with good quality orange juice (yay for OJ not from concentrate). There could have been more cooked items however as baked beans and hash browns were missing.

Hotel can seem a bit dominated by golfers. We didn't really mind until the morning of our last breakfast when the waitress went to place us near a golfing group and one guy had a full blown argument with the waitress about how we weren't allowed to sit there as it was reserved! Meanwhile, we were standing in the middle feeling very awkward.

Can't comment on check in issues as we arrived at about 17:00 and got straight in. I can however say that an offer of assistance with luggage would have been appreciated given the lack of lift.

Stayed July 2014
Dear RowlBear,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback in regards to your recent stay at Mottram Hall. I am pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable and comfortable nights stay.

I do apologise that you felt some of the team needed further training and that you were not offered any help with your bags. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I booked this hotel on Booking.Com after viewing their website as well as I had a family event in the area during July 2014. The pictures on both websites looked good and the write ups were satisfactory. Well when I checked in it was everything but!!

I booked a double room even through I was travelling on my own as I do like a bit more space well the hotel was full and they placed me in the last room in the back of the hotel. The room was near the generator and laundry so I could not open the window for fresh air due to the noise. The room was so small that I could not even open my luggage unless it was on the bed. The bathroom was filthy and the mould on the shower was the worst I have ever seen. The linen on the bed was dirty and the general cleanliness was appalling. I complained and they moved me for my second night, supposedly into an upgraded room, however this room was just as dirty and the bathroom just as awful, yet being slightly bigger. The websites also indicate that the room comes with a shower, but this is actually only a hand shower and has no pressure so one needs to actually bath.

I spend about 70% of my year in hotels around the world and this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in and yet they want the 5 star prices for it!!

I would like to suggest that they sort out the websites so that they are not misleading and decrease their prices or renovate and improve the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank 966Natalie2014
Dear 966Natalie2014,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Tripadvisor in regards to your recent visit to Mottram Hall. We would like to discuss this further with you and ask that you contact Isara Fraser, Front Office Manager via email at Isara.fraser@devere-hotels.com and she will be happy to assist you.

We look forward to hearing from you.

East Riding of Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

After reading many reviews on the hotel website I soon realised the experience we had at Mottram Hall was a very common one. Our room was supposed to be ready for 3pm along with every one else in the wedding party. As many other guests have encounted the rooms were not ready. Reception staff gave no apology. Our friends did not get access to their room till 6pm. Also a very common complaint thin walls very noisy rooms, doors banging people drunk walking around hotel. Our room overlooked the front of the hotel, we were kept awake until 4 am. I did ask the revellers to please be quiet and was told don't you know the functions go on till 3am. The walls are paper thin and the rooms small. May I suggest unless you get drunk and party till the early hours I deffinatley would not recommend Mottram Hall. I decided not to complain as I found the reception staff unhelpful with a negative attitude. Having a golf event and a wedding on the same day prevented the staff giving the service you would expect. Thankfully we were only booked for one evening. We will not be returning or recommending to friends.

Room Tip: Don't book a room at Mottram Hall
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Von292,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor in regards to your recent stay at Mottram Hall. I am sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations. If you would like to discuss this further please contact Isara Fraser, Front Office Manager via email at Isara.fraser@devere-hotels.com and she will be happy to assist you.

Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Just held a 2 day business meeting with a private dinner at Mottram Hall. Everything went very smoothly and all the staff were really pleasant and helpful - nothing was too much trouble. The private dinner in the Trophy Room was a success and there were no complaints about the bedrooms. The grounds of the hotel are stunning. Would say that the hotel rooms are more suited to a one or two night stay though with limited space and storage. I would definitely book it again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
MottramHall, Manaing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Emma8472014,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on Tripadvisor. I am very pleased to hear your recent event was such a success and that you found all the team to be pleasant and helpful throughout the two days you spent with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mottram Hall in the future.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I recently came here on a golfing trip with a few old friends. The staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough to help. The golf course was immaculate and we had a fantastic/leisurely time. My only fault would be the size of the rooms but thankfully we didn't spend much time in there. I will definitely be visiting again!

Room Tip: Ask for a big one!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank John W
Dear John W,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor in regards to your recent golfing trip at Mottram Hall. I am pleased to hear you found the golf course to be immaculate and that you found all the team were on hand to help you throughout your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mottram Hall in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mottram St. Andrew
The Midland
The Midland
#14 of 117 in Manchester
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,807 reviews

Been to Mottram Hall? Share your experiences!