Rowton Hall Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Edgar House(Chester)
Dene Hotel(Chester)
1,164 results
All reviewsexclusive usemaster of ceremonieswedding venuewedding breakfastwedding receptiongroupon dealjunior suitespa facilitiessecret escapeslovely hotelsauna and steam roomevening mealfrom start to finishrelaxing breakfour poster bedrelaxation roomnight break
Reviewed 26 October 2010

Spent a wonderfull birthday there, a real country house hotel, great service, excellent food comfortable rooms, very attentive staff, would like to say, thank-you to Kate on reception in particular. Enjoyed a relaxing swim in the pool. All in all it was perfect, will definetley be comming back and would highley reccomned this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2010

I booked myself and my Fiancee as we were attending my Godson's Christening the next day in Christleton (just over the road) and wanted to treat her and get a good nights rest before my Godson's, and my, big day. Here is the (unanswered) letter of complaint I sent them:

"Myself and my girlfriend stayed at your hotel on Saturday 3rd July. I picked your hotel because I wanted the most relaxing night possible as it was my Godson's Christening at 10.45am in Christleton on the Sunday morning of my stay so I needed a good nights sleep and wanted to treat my girlfriend. As your hotel is set in 8 acres of private grounds, and having grown up in the area knew you were the furthest from any source of noise, I decided your hotel to be my best choice for a relaxing night.

Unfortunately I was sorely disappointed:

When we found our room, your receptionist’s directions were less than helpful, all the windows were open-to cool the room-and we were greeted to the loud and obtrusive sound of industrial extractor fans outside the room. I closed the windows, but could still hear the noise and feel the vibrations from the fans so I immediately contacted reception and requested we were moved as the noise would prevent me getting the good nights sleep I sought. I was told that the hotel was fully booked and it was not possible to relocate us-but not to worry as the fans would be switched off when the kitchen closed. Unfortunately the kitchens open again in the morning-giving me two options:

1. Sleep with the windows closed, risking a stuffy and sweaty night in the hope the fans wouldn't still wake me.
2. Sleep with the windows open getting some fresh air and a cool nights sleep until the fans start in the morning when I'll be rudely awoken.

I chose option 1 and was woken by the heat in our room-combined with the sound of industrial fans, not something I would expect when paying £145.00 for a nights stay in a Luxury hotel and something that left me tired and grumpy on a very important day for me and my Godson.

Upon getting dressed in the morning I immediately went down to reception to complain further and try and get some money off my room as I felt £145.00 for such a terrible nights sleep was completely unacceptable-I was told the manager was not available and that the receptionist did not have the authority to reduce my rate-so I begrudgingly paid on the promise of a call from the manager to discus my complaint and to refund me for my stay-this never happened which is why you're receiving this email.

I would also like to point out that the "homemade" chips that I paid £3.50 for from room service were no more homemade than the McCain chips we used to serve when I worked in a pub during my school years-I later went on to be a professional chef....Also the brie and bacon ciabatta was very dry and in a top class establishment, as you promote yourselves, I would expect some condiments to be supplied with a meal without request (even the Hilton in Warwick, where I stay regularly for a fraction of the price can manage this)

Unfortunately these were not the only aspects that disappointed:

The wall paper is pealing off the ceilings in the hall ways, patches were missing from our walls, the bathroom had rotten wood, cracked tiles and mould in it and the seats in our room were in a state of disrepair-all in all not expected in one of "Chester's finest Country Houses"-perhaps you should visit my Godson's grand parents' house-its just over the road in Christleton and is regularly featured on the front of Cheshire life (much at the annoyance of the grand parents) for a true idea of what your guests are expecting.

Might I also suggest that you remove the room I stayed in from your guest rooms as I cannot be the only person who wouldn’t expect to have to try and sleep through an industrial extractor fan’s noise and vibrations when paying for a luxurious weekend away? (your receptionists excuse of "you're near the kitchens at that end of the building" really isn't an excuse-it just shows a lack of consideration)

Please advise me of how and when you will compensate me for my less than pleasant stay."

As you can see I was not impressed! I feel that this hotel represents the worst VFM of any establishment I have stayed at and that the room I stayed in should not have been a guest room at all, the food was lousy and the service poor. The fact they didn't even reply to my complaint just serves to re-inforce my view that they don't care about their hotel or their clients.

AVOID, AVOID, AVOID!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Groogle
Reviewed 10 September 2010

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Rowton Hall. The rooms were charming offering every facility and the service provided was excellent. Lovely interiors with beautiful gardens. Very warm welcome from front reception. There was a splendid choice for breakfast freshly cooked to order. The car parking was easy. I will most definitely stay at Rowton Hall on my future trips to Chester.

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed 21 August 2010

Stayed at Rowton for a wedding. Staff friendly. Room dusty and cobwebs all around the ceiling, shower over the bath and mouldy grout. Not what i would expect from other reviews we read and not worth £135!! Asked to change rooms and this had mould on the wallpaper caused by damp. Room needed painting and again small bathroom with shower over the bath. Net curtains with a nice cigarette burn to them!! T.V in both rooms not working properly. Would not stay there again, Better off staying in the Ramada down the road.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kempster130
Reviewed 21 July 2010

I booked three rooms for two nights in July to attend a family function. One room was fine, the second had noisy plumbing and the third a faulty shower. None of the televisions worked on all channels. Food was mediocre to say the least and service was very slow at times(although all of the staff were charming). My biggest gripe however is that on departure my daughter needed to catch an early train. She booked a 5.30am call and was promised toast etc. delivered to her room in lieu of breakfast. She got the call but no toast. When her cab arrived there was no-one around to let her out. Eventually she used the fire escape. We have previously dined there very well on many occassions and I wonder if the standards are slipping.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family