“What a View!”
Review of Dauphinee Inn

Dauphinee Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hubbards B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 October 2012

We had a great stay at the Inn, it was a hot, sunny day in July. The restaurant was under renovation, so we brought our own wine and had apps on the deck. The deck is beeeeautiful and has a lovely view of Hubbards Cove. We went to the Shore Club for dinner and it was just a short walk away. Perfect!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 12 August 2012

Stayed for a wedding, will not go back! To some it up it was unfriendly, unorganized, falling apart (the patio furniture they did manage to have on the deck was mostly broken, as in could not be used). The service in the restaurant was pitiful and the food barely passable. The innkeeper seemed genuinely put out when we arrived and slightly annoyed that he had to check us in.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 August 2012

There was no separate listing on Trip Advisor for the restaurant attached to this Inn, so my review will go here. The Dauphinee Inn restaurant in short is terrible. Like other restaurants I have reviewed on the shores of Nova Scotia, it has a beautiful view; the deck is nice, they have live music in the afternoons. The deck faces west so on a beautiful day you could have a lovely experience there if the food and service was good. But it is not. In fact I will now place this at the bottom of my list of any restaurant in Nova Scotia.

The deck tables looked like they were bought at Canadian Tire. Nothing wrong with that but the plates, the cutlery and basically everything else looked like it came from the same spot. There was a row of mini curtains like a wallpaper border on the inside at the top of the ceiling. Weird 80's feel. Even with basic decorating skills this place could be improved.

The Oysters were blah and expensive at $3 each for the quality. There were four of us. My wine came with strange rectangular particles at the bottom of the glass. The two bottles of red shared amongst the other three people was $80 which made the meal manageable I guess. My dining partner never got her salad dressing and had to ask for it finally when a server came by 10 minutes after bringing the meal. I had a Caesar Salad which seemed safe but it was not. Boring and had a strange taste to the dressing. My burger came on a glass plate the size of a saucer, and was boring and blah as well. My other half had a lobster avocado salad after his oysters that he really only had one word for. Terrible. Another dining partner rolled the dice and ordered a strange meal that is presented with raw proteins (steak,shrimp and vegetables) and a 650 degree heated piece of granite to cook it on. Without any seasoning and this weird concept the meal just fell flat. He was so hungry he wanted to order something else and just decided on a simple crumble.

All in all the bill came to $270 for four people which was ridiculous for the worst meal in recent memory.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank UsuallyPicky
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Convenient place to stay and very clean, the staff were really friendly. However like a previous review, we were the only couple staying here and did find it strange that no-one, not even the owner stayed on the premises over night. Did not really feel relaxed and could not wait till the morning. Breakfast was very limited, however the meal we had the night before (calamari) was very tasty.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Blighty
Reviewed 26 June 2011

We were a group of friends and stayed for one night and enjoyed the Inn for its location, view and layout. We had the entire Inn pretty much to ourselves and found it perfect for our needs. We found our room the Shankel provided all we could ask for and the bed was very comfortable. Any requests where satisfied, all we had to do was ask. We ordered some apps from the kitchen and really enjoyed the calamari and the bruschetta, both were delicious. I would certainly not hesitate to recomend a stay as we had no issues with anything. It is very quaint, comfortable and clean with as others have already mentioned great views and great private decks.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank darged
Reviewed 12 September 2010

The most bizarre experience that we ever had at a b and b was experienced here. We shared the same experience that other reviewers had as far as the initial reception they received, the uninformed stay, the poorly appointed room, etc. For us, however, the highlight was when we arrived back at the Inn after checking in and going to Chester fir dinner. When we arrived back around 10 pm in the dark, the Inn was completely shut down with only the porch light on. Boone else was staying there and the owners must not live on the premises. We unlocked the door and made our way up the stairs to our room. The place was deserted. We felt like we were breaking in to someones home. In the morning we went downstairs and there was one person working in the kitchen with very limited inter-personal interaction skills. We had to ask fir coffee and we had a choice of Raisen Bran, Special K or Corn Flakes for our meal. We couldn't get out of this place fast enough. Perhaps we caught them on a bad night. We will not return, however, to determine if that was the case.

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank Pjdthree
Reviewed 29 June 2010

I am traveling with my husband for business and the first night on the road was a late one. While driving I turned on the computer and found the Dauphinee Inn (DI) in Hubbards where my husband had a meeting the next morning. He called for rates and availability and she said that the best room with the best view etc was available for $195.00 so with it being so late and figuring for that much money and with her description it had to be nice. We should have checked tripadvisor, lesson learned! We arrived shortly before 11 in the rain and fog and even with all this darkness the outside of the DI is an assault to the senses! The colours are horrid! but in we go and it only got worse! What had been described as period and cozy was just plain tasteless, the carpet on the stairs was filthy and worn, nothing matched, the fake flowers everywhere, we should have ran before even climbing those dirty stairs, however it was 11pm and we were tired.
The man (who never introduced himself, unusual for an Inn???) showed us to the room, showed us how to use the key?? and left, I was standing there with my jaw on my chest staring at the bed we just paid $195.00 to sleep in!
It was about a foot and a half off the floor only because the mattress was that thin, it was like a board and the pillows were about 3 inches thick and that is being generous! My husband went and asked for more pillows and when he brought them I told him I was not impressed at all, he shrugged his shoulders and said "well I haven't had any complaints yet" I said well you do now, where upon he turned and left. The bed was not the only problem although the main one since that was what we came for, the bathroom was large and I must say clean but there was NOT a cake of soap, shampoo, bath mat, lotion, nothing, I am surprised there was toilet paper! The carpet was stained and vacumed in the center only, the edges were very dirty. The decorating was also a dated mess with BRIGHT pink walls, curtains half falling off the windows second hand store linens, a TV, lamp and fan all sitting on a little writing table that we had to clear off in the morning to do some work. All this for $195.00!!! Oh sorry, it did include breakfast which consisted of 1 yes that is one buscuit and an assortment of three kinds of cereal, Corn Flakes, Rice Krispies and Raisin Bran......That is it!!!! nothing else, not a piece of fruit, yogurt, nothing!!!!!

So, my advice to anyone considering staying at the DI is DON"T!!!! I would have rathered and been more comfortable sleeping in my truck!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
13  Thank tripticketnovascotia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hubbards
Chateau Bedford
Oceanstone Resort
Oceanstone Resort
#1 of 3 in Indian Harbour
Atlantica Oak Island Resort & Conference Centre

Been to Dauphinee Inn? Share your experiences!