“If you have to chose between sleeping in your van and The Dauphanee Inn .... go with the van.”
Review of Dauphinee Inn

Dauphinee Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hubbards B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 September 2010

The most bizarre experience that we ever had at a b and b was experienced here. We shared the same experience that other reviewers had as far as the initial reception they received, the uninformed stay, the poorly appointed room, etc. For us, however, the highlight was when we arrived back at the Inn after checking in and going to Chester fir dinner. When we arrived back around 10 pm in the dark, the Inn was completely shut down with only the porch light on. Boone else was staying there and the owners must not live on the premises. We unlocked the door and made our way up the stairs to our room. The place was deserted. We felt like we were breaking in to someones home. In the morning we went downstairs and there was one person working in the kitchen with very limited inter-personal interaction skills. We had to ask fir coffee and we had a choice of Raisen Bran, Special K or Corn Flakes for our meal. We couldn't get out of this place fast enough. Perhaps we caught them on a bad night. We will not return, however, to determine if that was the case.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank Pjdthree

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Nova Scotia
Reviewed 29 June 2010

I am traveling with my husband for business and the first night on the road was a late one. While driving I turned on the computer and found the Dauphinee Inn (DI) in Hubbards where my husband had a meeting the next morning. He called for rates and availability and she said that the best room with the best view etc was available for $195.00 so with it being so late and figuring for that much money and with her description it had to be nice. We should have checked tripadvisor, lesson learned! We arrived shortly before 11 in the rain and fog and even with all this darkness the outside of the DI is an assault to the senses! The colours are horrid! but in we go and it only got worse! What had been described as period and cozy was just plain tasteless, the carpet on the stairs was filthy and worn, nothing matched, the fake flowers everywhere, we should have ran before even climbing those dirty stairs, however it was 11pm and we were tired.
The man (who never introduced himself, unusual for an Inn???) showed us to the room, showed us how to use the key?? and left, I was standing there with my jaw on my chest staring at the bed we just paid $195.00 to sleep in!
It was about a foot and a half off the floor only because the mattress was that thin, it was like a board and the pillows were about 3 inches thick and that is being generous! My husband went and asked for more pillows and when he brought them I told him I was not impressed at all, he shrugged his shoulders and said "well I haven't had any complaints yet" I said well you do now, where upon he turned and left. The bed was not the only problem although the main one since that was what we came for, the bathroom was large and I must say clean but there was NOT a cake of soap, shampoo, bath mat, lotion, nothing, I am surprised there was toilet paper! The carpet was stained and vacumed in the center only, the edges were very dirty. The decorating was also a dated mess with BRIGHT pink walls, curtains half falling off the windows second hand store linens, a TV, lamp and fan all sitting on a little writing table that we had to clear off in the morning to do some work. All this for $195.00!!! Oh sorry, it did include breakfast which consisted of 1 yes that is one buscuit and an assortment of three kinds of cereal, Corn Flakes, Rice Krispies and Raisin Bran......That is it!!!! nothing else, not a piece of fruit, yogurt, nothing!!!!!

So, my advice to anyone considering staying at the DI is DON"T!!!! I would have rathered and been more comfortable sleeping in my truck!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
13 Thank tripticketnovascotia

Travellers are raving about these Hubbards hotels

Tokyo
Reviewed 29 September 2009

Although we did not stay at the Dauphinee Inn, we went over to make a reservation for dinner. We encountered the most sour and unhelpful welcome that I have EVER received in Nova Scotia, and I am a native. After practically begging for a table and being more or less told we could come but we shouldn't expect anything great as they were expecting a group and we would be secondary to them. It seemed reasonable at that very second but one second after leaving the door my friend looked at me and I her in shock. Her total attitude was something like we had never experience before in Nova Scotia. We decided not to go for dinner, I tried to call and cancel but found out it was long distance from our B &B, which was 2 kms away, and thought to heck with it. We went to the cafe restaurant on the main road in Hubbards next to the wonderful antique shop where we had a great dinner, wonderful local entertainment, warm service and an interesting chat with a hubbardite now resident in England. We liked the cafe so much we went back for breakfast. I can only imagine what staying at such place would be like. The 2 staffmembers we met should get a lesson in hospitality.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank PeterRipley
amish country pa.
Reviewed 26 September 2009

great location with great view from large balcony, room was fine, had small stall shower and four post bed, like a b and b room. dinner was good, but their breakfast was a joke, just cold cereal and juice. don't expect to eat breakfast there

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Cape Breton
Reviewed 20 August 2009

The service and hospitality of the Inn staff leaves a bit to be desired. Our check-in person did not introduce herself and looked like we had interrupted her day, in other words: not the warmest welcome we have ever received. We made our dinner reservations for the dining room balcony.
It was a very hot day and we looked forward to seeing, and relaxing in, our rather expensive room. We were lead up to the third floor by a very quiet staff member. Our room door was wide open and all the windows were shut. Air-conditioning? Uh-uh! We had a desk fan that they hadn't taken the initiative to put out for us, never mind opening the windows for air. The curtains were closed to the main windows facing the view because the sun was shining directly through them. The balcony is not private; it is shared with the room next door and looks out immediately onto the second floor balcony. The railings are rather rickety and in dire need of a paint job.
The room itself is quite large and spacious with a good TV and small CD player/radio. The jacuzzi in the rather large bathroom was clean, but a big problem was that the controls for it are by the bathroom door and not on the tub. They supplied plenty of towels and soap, but no shampoo.
We were made to wait for almost fifteen minutes to be shown to our table for dinner - even though we had already made a reservation. Someone who happened to walk by told us where we could find our table (Where's the host?).
The meal was superb with efficient and friendly service from our waitress (but again, no introductions). Everything was prepared to perfection, and the harbour view from the balcony was idyllic.
The included continental breakfast was not ready when we arrived, as only dry cereal and milk were available. We asked for hot muffins and coffee and were given hot scones and warm coffee. We wanted to complain about the service at the desk, but no one was around when we finished our "breakfast" and also later when we came to check out. We ended up having a great breakfast at the Trellis Cafe down the road.
What I liked best: the dinner
What I liked least: the high cost of the disappointing room

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 42ljc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hubbards
Smugglers Cove Inn
Anchorage House & Cottages
Clifty Cove Motel
Clifty Cove Motel
#1 of 1 in Indian Harbour

Been to Dauphinee Inn? Share your experiences!