“Very nice place to eat”
Review of Gurkha Spice - CLOSED

Gurkha Spice
Price range: US$13 - US$20
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 5 July 2014

The fusion of the Nepalese and Indian menu is a refreshing change from the run of the mill restaurants. The food is well cooked fresh and full of flavour. We were very impressed with the cleanliness not only of the restaurant itself but also the waiters and especially the kitchen staff. The chefs were all in pristine white outfits which we felt said a lot. Price is reasonable and value for money.

1  Thank sheila b

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Arrived without booking. Friendly staff. Food was super- slightly unusual flavours but very very nice. Lots of choice. Food had a very fresh taste, not at all greasy. Will definitely go again, soon. Very soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

great food. very different from your normal curry its nepalese fusion. average service tho but it's the food That counts for me.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

We ordered a take away, it arrived with in the 45 minutes that they had quoted.The food was good we had a mixed meat madras and a tandoori mixed grill with rice and garlic naan .. I would recommend giving this place a try...

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I've avoided Indian restaurants for some time for a couple of reasons. Firstly, many in my area have abysmal food hygiene scores (the Gurkha scores highly). Secondly, I won't eat halal slaughtered meat. We decided to give the Gurkha Spice a go for a takeaway and stick to just veggie or seafood (meat at the Gurkha IS halal). Chap on the phone was extremely polite, quoted 30-45 minutes for delivery. It was delivered in about 35, which was a good start and the order was correct with some free poppadums thrown in. I thoroughly enjoyed the food and had only a couple of minor criticisms. The onion bhajis were a bit on the chewy side, although they were good value as they were big (fresh oil in the frier wouldn't go amiss either, to be honest). The mains were lovely, I had king prawn biriani which was spiced totally different than any biriani I've had before, totally delicious. My wife had the jingha shashlik (BIG tandoori shrimps with grilled onions and peppers). This was again unusual, as the Indian spices used in the tandoori marinade was quite mild compared to most and didn't overpower the shellfish. The house curry sauce (we had mild) was totally delicious, not bland in any way, full of fantastic flavours. My wife said she's had better naan, but found it acceptable. Very good pilau rice, too. Much better than the run of the mill, I will be trying one of the "usual suspects" next time such as bhuna or rogan josh and will be eating in, to compare with other establishments. Prices are not the cheapest by any means, but they give 10% discount on delivered takeaways and a big 25% off if you get off your backside and pick it up yourself.