“FIRST CLASS”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 7 July 2014

the food and service was first class nothing was to much trouble the food was all freshly cooked it was piping hot the staff were polite i will be going back to this pub i will be telling family and friends to go to the travellers call my daughter has asked them to cater for her wedding thanks jayne x

1  Thank Sue H

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

The food here is delicious, we visited Christmas Day and even though they were fully booked the food was still top notch and the staff were very flexible in catering for all our fussy needs :)

1  Thank EmilyM84
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Came here tonight with family to celebrate my Dad's birthday. There were 11 of us in total.

For my daughter I had ordered Fish Goujons which on the menu was described as strips of cod coated in light batter but what she actually got was cheap fish fingers in breadcrumbs, we were not advised of this when ordering, if they would have said, I would have ordered something else.

The Pizza was half the usual size and of poor quality, it did not taste as fresh as when we had previously ordered it. Previously when we had ordered it it was home-made but tonight it did not taste or appear home-made.

3 of us ordered the Gammon which was cold and fatty, the chips and onion rings were very greasy and did not come with side salad as stated on the menu.

The fish was cold, tasteless and had loads of bones in it (you do not get bones in a good quality fish)

The Cajun Goujons were burnt and extremely dry.

Apparently the Spicy Chicken Wraps were lovely.

Everyone's chips were very greasy and tasted like when they dropped into the fryer the oil was not hot enough or they had been refried.

When we complained to the waitress she said there was nothing she can do as the Landlady was on holiday. The Landylady's Mother then came to our table and said "Did you want to speak to me?" We then complained to her and she said the Chef was ill and an apprentice cooked all of our dinners, she told us again the Landlady was on holiday. We told her that there was no excuse for my daughter not getting what was described on the menu and not being advised of an alternative, she said nothing. All she did was defend herself saying they've had no complaints before and kept blaming it on the fact it was an apprentice chef cooking, to which we replied that an apprentice chef should not have been left on his own in the kitchen.

There was no sincere apology or any offer of a discount, compensation or complementary drinks. Our bill had come to £81.75!!!!

4  Thank Gemma H
TravellersCall, Owner at Travellers Call, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Hi Gemma

I have privately messaged you, to arrange further discussions regarding your experience, as you know this is not normal service at The Travellers Call, I await your response.

Many Thanks
Jayne Taylor

Reviewed 15 May 2014

The chicken I ate was very salty and smelled a bit like orange squash! However I drank twelve pints of Stella so wasn't that bothered

2  Thank Tongued
Reviewed 30 March 2014

The food was delicious and very reasonably priced. My husband had the cheese and onion pie, I had the meat pie, very tasty indeed. The service was good. I would probably not return at this time again (Friday evening) as some of the other customers were very drunk and swearing quite badly, the person behind the bar did not seem to bother. I would be very reluctant to bring children or older family members, which is a shame because the food is so good.

TravellersCall, Owner at Travellers Call, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Many Thanks for your comments. Please be assured this matter will be addressed with relevant staff member . I apologise for your experience this is not acceptable behaviour. I do hope you visit us again and please ask for Jayne