My husband and I stayed at Palagama for 5 nights in May/June. Overall we had a very pleasant stay. The main purpose for our visit was to get married, and although the ceremony was far from smooth (due to the inadequacies of the local registrar), all of the staff at Palagama did all they could to make the event as special as possible for us, and have all given us very special memories, with special thanks to Sham for taking the photos, and the chef for the video footage, and Eric and Roshan for being our witnesses! Although we couldn't have our dream wedding on the beach, because of the high winds, we had the ceremony outside one of the villas which was beautifully decorated for us. We then had a private dining experience outside of the villa, which included an array of fine seafood, and was of the best meals we have ever eaten. We were then put up for the night at the villa at no extra cost, in fact the cost of the wedding was extremely cheap, especially considering the amount of effort that was put in by all of the staff. We cannot fault them for the care and attention they gave to us.
Although we went during the windy season we still had some hot weather, and enjoyed mainly having the resort to ourselves, so although I would love to come back in high season to experience the dolphin and whale watching, and snorkelling, it did have its advantages to visit during the low season. We really did feel very special with attentive service from all of the staff, especially Sham who catered for our every whim with a smile always on his face (which we both miss!).
Every meal we had was exceptional. The breakfast was so substantial that it kept us going until dinner most days, and the dinner menu was always different. The local Sri Lankan curries were amongst the best I had during our month stay in Sri Lanka.
We will definitely be returning to Palagama beach. The staff are friendly and welcoming, the beach cabanas and resort beautiful (especially the outside shower and private sun lounging area), and the food delicious. Yes there is a power station nearby but that really doesn't hinder the overall view (and can't be seen from the resort) , and yes, there is lots of rubbish on the beach, although we never saw any directly to the front of the resort, but this makes walks on the beach interesting as you can do a spot of beach combing!
We would definitely recommend anyone to stay at this report...we certainly hope to see all the staff again as soon as we can make it back to Sri Lanka :o)
Many many thanks to all of the staff for making our stay and wedding a special one
Kate and Kornel Szabo
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Palagama is a beautiful tropical beach resort designed by world famous architect Cecil Balmond and John Balmond. Ideally located along a sandy beach, more than 2 kms from the main road, the resort enjoys pristine and serene surroundings. The number of cabanas has been limited to 16 to be able to provide tailor made experiences for our guests. Designed using natural materials and inspired by the local architecture, our four Beach cabanas offer direct view of the Ocean and espouse an Eco Chic vibe. Other Cabanas and Villas are nestled amidst tropical and lush gardens. Despite its small size, Palagama offers all the services and facilities including a great outdoor restaurant serving western and local cuisines with a special emphasis on seafood, a beach bar fully equipped with an international selection of wines, a fresh water infinity Pool, SPA, travel desk, complimentary wifi, local bikes tours, handicraft shop, daily recreational activities and cooking classes. Day excursions include seasonal dolphin and whale watching, KITE SURFING expeditions in Kalpitiya and day safaris to Wilpattu national park famous for leopard sightings. Palagama has all the ingredients for a fun and relaxing beach holiday. Just 2.5 Hours from the airport, it is also an ideal gateway to the famous Cultural sites of Sri Lanka including Anuradhapura, Sigiriya and Kandy, as well as a relaxing stop before or after an international flight. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Agoda, Priceline, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Palagama Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Palagama Beach Hotel Kalpitiya
- Palagama Beach Sri Lanka/Kalpitiya