Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Veronika & Dominika
Girona, Spain

Peacefull and welcoming (feels like home), yummy food, great people and kiting fun

Review of Ruuk Village
5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 3 Sept 2015
If you looking for a place to switch off and forget about outer world Ruuk is the right place. Lodge and surrounding are so beautiful and I highly recommend to walk around lagoon early morning and watch the sunset in the evening. Really stunning (get some beer of course :D). I would like to say big big thanks to everyone who we met in Ruuk, all of you guys doing great job and you made us feel as home with your welcoming and warm attitude. Thanks a looot. We really couldn´t ask for more. My special thanks to Dany (kite instructor) who helped me finally reach my goal and I could taste how it feels to "ride" for a first time. Super supportive and patient even in situation when I did totally oposite as I was told :D Only one negative thing, I gained some extra kilos, because of your delicious curry and pineaple marmelade, so now I have to deal with my addiction :D So I think I need to come back as soon as possible. Thanks a lot and hope to see you soon dear RUUK.
Date of stay: August 2015
Get rewarded with One Key
8.5 miles from Ruuk Village
Pool
View more hotels in Kalpitiya
All reviews sri lanka natural materials staff was very friendly and helpful calm place fresh food recommend this place kitesurfing nature lagoon huts cooks
Selected filters
Reviewed 19 August 2015

The best thing about Ruuk was undoubtedly Tommy the kite surf instructor and the yummy and varied Sri Lankan food. We both improved our kitesurfing loads in our few days at Rukk, kitesurfing morning and afternoon with lunch back at the camp for a break in between. The kite spot is busy but good wind and nice flat water. My favourite food was the homemade pineapple spread in the morning. Yoga was also a great way to start the day.

Unfortunately our rating has been dragged down by the noisy generator behind the en-suite cabanas. The cabanas themselves are nice enough, nothing special but everything you need. However the generator is very close and therefore it was impossible to relax at the cabana (until the generator was switched off at 10pm). The cabanas with a shared bathroom are further away from the generator so you will be fine if you book one of these. The camp is an ongoing project (more staff than guests when we stayed) and I'm sure will continue to improve over time.

Room tip: En-suite cabanas are near the noisy generator so pick a cabana with shared bathroom if you want to be able to relax!
Date of stay: July 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank ElaHickey
Reviewed 5 July 2015 via mobile

We meant to stay 6 nights, ended up staying 13 if that says anything at all ;) We stayed in one of the cabanas which was simple but very well looked after. Manager Gamage and the local crew are tireless in making everyone feel comfortable and at home. They'll even fill in as tour guides during no-wind days. Ruuk village is perfect for people looking for a small resort that is locally run and considerate of social and ecological issues. We loved that the food was fresh and local (the Kothu Roti was the best we've had in all of Sri Lanka). Ruuk has its own little kite station with very competitive prices and top-professional equipment and instruction by Dani. The atmosphere is wonderfully chilled but if you feel like a night out srilankakite is only a short tuktuk ride away. To make it short: we loved it!

Date of stay: May 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2015

I would like to thank the whole crew of Ruuk Village for their efforts. There are many nice places but the people make the difference. Staff and guests live together in harmony and also play the traditional board game Karam together in the evening. I miss already the fresh and authentic food whic is served 3 times per day using full board. The location is nice and close to Kite lagoon. See you again.

Date of stay: June 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 26 June 2015 via mobile

Leaving Ruuk Village today, and i'm so sad time flew by so fast. Had a great time with my family and everybody was very welcoming. I finally learned to kitesurf correctly here.I certainly hope to come back with friends!

p.s. sorry for the bad english

Date of stay: June 2015
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2015

I stayed 18 nights @ruukvillage for mainly kitesurfing. The staff is amazing, they do a very good job - even the owners aren't present the most of the time. The local manager Gamageh is such a kind and helpful person. He organized and solved all the problems - there were actually a lot - very well.
The place is a bit out of the center of Kalpitiya, but directly at the Kalpitiya lagoon. Only a sandy road seperates the ruuk village from the lagoon.
I took the fullboard, which was a very good choice. The food they cooked was so delicious. They tried to change the menu everyday. When I asked for noodles instead of rice once, the next day they cooked noodles which have tasted very good.
90% of the guests stayed there during the time came from switzerland as well. So it was more like a swiss village.
After some days without wind but rain, the wind picked up finally at the 18th of may. After that it was nearly everyday windy.
The boat transfer inside the lagoon is very important, because for kitesurfing we had to go to the other side of the lagoon. The boat was ok, but the motor has not enough power. If 10 people with all the kitegear were sitting inside, the boatride took about 20min for a short distance. One time the motor broke down in the middle of the lagoon.
Kitesurfing in the lagoon makes a lot of fun. And when you get bored of the flat water, you can just walk over the sand bank to the sea.
The ruuk village is a very quiet place. If you are looking for party, you will be in the wrong place. But for relaxing, play some card or boardgames, volleyball, slackline or just reading a book in one of the hammocks it's a good place.
I stayed in the standard cabana which had enough space for me. The best thing about it was the openair shower behind the cabana. An amazing experience after a kiteday.

I liked my stay very much. Even there were sometimes some problems with the electricity (generator broke down), motor of the boat, water inside the cabana after heavy rainfall, WIFI sometimes not working, kitesurf station closed at the beginning... the staff made it to a positive stay.

I wish for the (young) ruuk village to become a little bit more professional. Then i will come back for shure.

Room tip: Standard (basic) cabana for backpackers, deluxe room for little bit more luxury, space and a private toilet.
Date of stay: May 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Jahmann-CH
RuukVillage, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Ruuk Village, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2015

Hello,
Thank you for your review and it was a pleasure to host you in our small project.

You are not correct with one statement you make:
"The place is a bit out of the center of Kalpitiya, but directly at the Kalpitiya lagoon."
- First part of the sentence would give a wrong impression to the reader, you went around whole of Kalpitiya comparing the prices and therefore you know exactly how far the other establishments are and how far they are situated form the Kalpitiya town centre.

Ruuk Village is the closest that you can be to "Kalpitiya town centre" and a the same time to the kiting lagoon. That is a hard fact.

And the other point is; even after another few years, there will always be issues such as generator breaking down, WIFI not working, and the boat motor going out of operation. Those are technical difficulties that a project would have, when they are completely off-grid. The issue is, if those problems are not fixed after they arise, and if the operation stops.

Best regards