“A very special b & b.”

GreenLeadersGold level
Gourock, United Kingdom
“A very special b & b.”
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Lucky enough to find Cherry Tree Lodge shortly after it opened, it has now become my favourite place for short breaks. Delightful house, wonderful situation, excellent evening meals and, of course, great hosts in Mark and Till. Wonderfully calm atmosphere and great to be able to spend the evening chilling in the lounge after one of Mark's lovely dinners. The icing on the cake is to have an awesome massage from Mark - a great way to start the day!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Maidenhead, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2012

The location is wonderful and peaceful but also only a few miles from Knockhill which was the reason I was there. The house is spacious, clean and well furnished in a modern style. Mark and Till are wonderful hosts as well. The views from the sun room are phenomenal and stretch for a good 15-20 miles over the undulating Scottish landscape. I've already booked myself in for next year!

By the way, I clicked swimming pool by accident on the review and can't work out how to get rid of it now! They don't have a pool but will be installing a hot tub next year I believe.

Room Tip: There's not a bad room at the place, but only 4 rooms I think - so book early!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2012

By anyone's standards, I'm a harsh critic. I expect professionalism in all my dealings, where I part with my hard-earned cash! Here, I judged on location, welcome, cleanliness, homeliness, food, facilities, ambiance, hosting, value for money and my interaction with the other guests. On every, single count, I remained suitably impressed. Furthermore, I would admit to being totally "wowed" by the intense pleasure of my stay. It's a long while since I've stayed away from home and felt so comfortable. I actually didn't want to leave. But, I look forward to a rapid return! These guys know exactly what they are doing and do it so extraordinarily well! What's more, they have a smile on their face while they do it, too! That made all the difference to me! In my opinion, Cherry Tree Lodge is worth a visit whether you're simply passing through this delightful part of Scotland or planning a holiday in a soulful and nourishing environment, as I was. There, you will be well looked after for sure, just as I was!

Room Tip: I didn't see the other rooms, but mine was a double en suite with views of fields with grazing s...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 7 September 2012

I would not describe Cherry Tree Lodge as being readily accessible or as being somewhere en route to another destination in Scotland [at least not as far as a non-Scot is concerned] but I would describe it as a GEM of a B&B to be sought after, found, savored and enjoyed.

In a sense to describe it as a B&B is misleading because it is much more than that. Much thought has been put into creating this oasis of peace with everything from the bedrooms, dining area(s), lounge with log-burning fire and “sacred space” area to the terrace with a relaxing outlook over the well-maintained garden and not overlooking the lovely bright sun room [with heart-lifting views over the Ochil hills] receiving minute and loving attention to detail.

There is a great variety of bedrooms on offer, all with superb views, and you can be alone, with another or there is an ideal family room for several people to share.

The food served in Cherry Tree Lodge is what vegetarians might describe as “to die for” but even non vegetarians will enjoy the meals on offer where maximum use of local, organic, and fairly-sourced ingredients is made. Mark and Till are very caring and attentive hosts and they seek to make Cherry Tree Lodge a home to be shared.

This guesthouse, much better term than a B&B, is in fact more of a destination in itself, a place to go and let-go of all the things that might be bothering you and you will come away refreshed and looking forward to your next visit.

Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I loved Cherry Tree Lodge! Mark and Till are wonderful hosts - so thoughtful and kind, & Mark's meals are amazing: tasty, healthy food, cooked and served beautifully. I really enjoyed sharing meals with them, although guests can eat in privacy if they wish.The surrounding country with its stunning views and picture book farmland is magical. You can see deer, watch the antics of the resident squirrels, or admire the many beautiful birds that visit Cherry Tree's lovely garden. The accommodation itself is very clean as well as attractive. My bedroom was very well appointed and the bathroom luxurious. I loved the small touches like the vase of freshly picked bluebells in my room...and the views from every window are postcard perfect. I recommend a stay here to people who appreciate peace and tranquility, with friendly but unobtrusive hosts. Till even gave me a lift back to the train in Dunfirmline! I will return to Cherry Tree Lodge, to relax & reconnect.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Cherry Tree Lodge is readily accessible from the central Scotland motorway network whilst retaining a surprisingly remote feel. Accessed via a farm track and set within its own paddocks, it is quiet and private, with practically no overlooking.

On arrival I was met warmly by Mark who took my bags and showed me to my room. I was given a cup of tea and home baking (to which I was given 'free' access during my stay!) and we had a good natter to kick-off my visit. There was access at all times to a lounge with log-burning fire, to a terrace with relaxing outlook over the well-maintained garden, and also to a cosy sun room with heart-lifting views over the Ochil hills.

I was struck by how immaculate and fresh everything was, from the bed linen to the bathroom and general decor.

Breakfast was filling (no lunch required!) and I was delighted to join Mark and Till for a delicious evening meal on both of the nights I stayed. I was impressed by their endeavours to use local, organic, environmentally-friendly and fairly-sourced ingredients. I discovered that the approach to food betrays a wider, holistic concern with people and planet which extends to their guests (e.g. complimentary therapies are available) and to wider communities through their plans for the lodge and its grounds.

Mark and Till were at all times caring and attentive but never overbearing. This guesthouse is something of a destination in itself and it is for that reason that I've used the term 'retreat' above.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I was tipped off about Cherry Tree Lodge by friends who were getting married in a nearby farm. Not only was the accommodation perfectly located for us in terms of the wedding but it was just delightful - it was a wonderfully calm and relaxing place, a home from home which was clean, well-kitted out and where we were able to enjoy a very welcome home-cooked breakfast the next day. The only problem was that we couldn't stay longer. Cherry Tree Lodge has been firmly noted in my list of places to stay if ever in the area again; in fact, it may, itself, be a reason to re-visit Saline. To anyone looking for a peaceful retreat with a gorgeous situation and lovely hosts, whatever your motivation, I would thoroughly recommend it.

Room Tip: Twin Room certainly large enough so as not to be in each other's space.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saline
Balmule House
Aberdour Hotel
Aberdour Hotel
#1 of 3 in Aberdour
No photo provided

Been to Cherry Tree Lodge? Share your experiences!