“Good small hotel”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Selva di Cadore
Zagreb, Croatia
“Good small hotel”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Nice small hotel with swimming pool and sauna, good hospitality and food. Convenient shuttle to the ski lift near by. Rooms are with correct size, nicely decorated in wood. In overall we had a really pleasant stay!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
hotelNigritella, Direttore at Hotel Nigritella, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear Sir, many thanks for your good comments regarding our House, we are glad you spent relaxing days in Selva di Cadore and that you enjoied your stay in Hotel Nigritella, we hope to see you again in Valfiorentina and wish you a great year 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Polish first
Budapest
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We are a family of 4 persons, Stayed 5 nights in superior double rooms, that were clean and tidy. Staff was friendly, especially in the restaurant and the wellness area. Big swimming pool, nice spa. Small, but very pleasant. If you are a foreigner, you'd better speak italian, or if not, than german:-)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
hotelNigritella, Direttore at Hotel Nigritella, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Sir, really many many thanks for your comment, I agree....some of the Staff should have to better their English language knowledge, but till this will be the worst comment I will get from good Guests like your family, I will be anyway 100% happy! :-) Regards....
Amsterdam
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I gave only three because of the price-quality ratio, and because some small things could improve.
First the good things:
the rooms are very nice and spacious (we had a second floor room on the front, with a balcony). They looked recently refurbished (I don't know if that's the case of all rooms, but those I've seen, and I've seen three, were new) with a new carpet and furniture in wood. There was ample space for the luggage, enough light, and the beds were comfortable. Bed linnen and towels were rather new and clean. The bathroom small, with a very small shower cabin, but ok. The bar area is pleasant and large. The animation for the children was very good.
There is sometimes life music but we did not hear it in the room (instead on the New Year's Eve, but that's something to be expected). In general, it was rather quiet in the room and one could sleep well.
The less good things:
we had half-pension. The food was of an average quality. Drinks at breakfast from a machine (undrinkable!) unless you ask a waitress for a proper cappuccino or coffee, which were coming somewhere from the kitchen area. I don't know whether from a proper expresso machine, but they were far better than those provided in the room. Further for breakfast: totally artificial (concentrate) orange juice from the machine; muesli and (good) yoghurt (natural and fruit, the natural one was really good); dry white bread rolls; dry pandoro (cut the day before: why not leave it for the people to cut themselves?); rather dry (probably good when fresh) dark bread (twice in a week time); some cheese (of medium quality, one type) and ham.
Dinner: good antipasti, even if with little variation every day and put on the table ca. 1.5 hour before the dinner time. :-) The first and second course variable, but nothing memorable. The dessert only good on the New Year's Eve. In general, could be much better. The only waitress that seemed professional was Veronica (complimenti!), the rest seemed a bit at a loss. I asked another waitress if the dish was vegetarian and she said 'yes', while it was made with big pieces of ham. :-) Another day, the spoon I got was very dirty. Ok, may happen, but an explanation that 'they often glue to each other in the dishwasher' is not a good one. Please check before serving!
The dinner of the 31st of December was the same as all the other dinners, nothing special, no special decorations on the table, no menu was presented (only on our table???). There was an apperitive served at the bar, with some nice snacks, but later on everybody went to eat at his or her time, there was no 'common' beginning of the dinner for all the guests, no 'special' feeling of the New Year's Eve. The tables, and even the people at one and the same table were served at different times. The dinner ended around 21.30 and then we were left to ourselves.
Animation for kids on the evening very good, but nothing for adults.
The bar in general: the area very nice and big, but after trying a watery Spriz, one of the worse cappuccinos I had in Italy (I'm sorry, I have to write it: please improve!!!), and a prosecco that proved to be a sweet wine (ok, a mistake I suppose), I resigned and went next door: to the left of the hotel bar there is a small 'gastronomia' with excellent coffee. :-) Besides, it took ages to take the order.
The staff at the reception, including the manager were not exactly rude, but not very pleasant either, comparing to other hotels in Italy (or elsewhere) that I visited. When we arrived, with our 12 pieces of luggage and the receptionist/manager told us that the lift was broken, nobody proposed to help with the luggage (there were two men at the reception at that time). I don't know whether we would have accepted, but it would be nice to hear that someone does want to help. I was feeling rather bad and, as I wrote, we had really a lot of luggage, which I did mention.
Parking places at the hotel are very limited. There is a covered parking of the hotel at 10 euro p/day, but there was no place available and virtually no other place nearby to leave the car. However, after unloading, you can try to find a place further down the street.
General, location:
The ski school for children is almost opposite the hotel and the staff there is very polite and professional.
The piste are a bit further down the street, about 1.5-2 km. There is a 'navetta' (a little van) from the hotel until 10.30 to bring you there and from 14.30 to bring you back. From 13.30 another 'navetta' from a hotel nearby is also going the same way and stopping at the front of the hotel, but the reception didn't tell us about it ('since it's not their van, they are not responsible'). The infrequent local bus takes 4.5 euro per person from the piste to the hotel (if you are with the skis): a bit expensive, I would say.
Santa Fosca has not much to offer for those who don't ski and there is not good transport between S.Fosca and other villages in the area. There is a bus going to Selva di Cadore but not very frequent (once in half an hour, sometimes longer waiting; once in hour during weekends; this is the same bus that goes to the piste; without ski it is 2 euro p/p one way). There are not much cafes or restaurants or shops except the basics (ski equipment and clothers and a small but good supermarket), and not really walks as Santa Fosca is on a slope of a mountain - you can walk a bit along the road but it's not very nice, so if you are without a car, think about it.
The pizzeria not far from the hotel is excellent though. :-)

All in all, with a bit more entertainment for adults (one day there was life music, but not of very high quality... hmmmm), better food and more professional service in the restaurant and the reception, it would have been a very nice hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Priya777
Dear Madam, I am sorry to answer so late, I normally try to respond within one day to all comments, but, this time, I took a while to collect all the comments of the further traveler (familiar) who spent the holiday in Hotel Nigritella, with you.....I am too correct to report their own comments....but I can assure they are totally against your vision, they all consider the holiday positive and the mood of any email I received form them, regarding your comment let me believe, they are actually very sincere; therefore, dear Madam, I hope you'll find the best future situation to spend a better holiday, in line with your desires.....with your needs.....with your way of life. I only ask you next time, to think a little bit longer before putting you at a computer and write down a mile long comment.....which is mostly not real....accept my best regards, thank you
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2013

We stayed for six nights in Jan with a very young baby. We left with a very positive impression of the hotel largely because of extremely nice and helpful staff. Because we travelled with a young baby we ended up being quite needy guests but the staff were unfailingly helpful, kind and keen to ensure we had a pleasant stay. This contributed enormously to making our stay in the Delomites special. We would recommend the hotel to families and there is a beginner ski slope opposite ideal for anyone learning the basics.

• Stayed January 2013
St. Paul's Bay, Malta
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Very good hotel for a family holiday with nice views from the rooms. Food was good and staff very friendly and ready to help. Rooms are nice and clean, however bathrooms need a good revamp. Ideally one would have own transport to travel around neighbouring villages because there is nothing much to do in the evening in Santa Fosca.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front of the hotel have nice views and third floor quiet
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Nagpur, India
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We were a group of friends and enjoyed our stay at the hotel. The hotel is about 15-20 min from Alleghe. The view from the room was very good. The hotel had few sports facilites. The breakfast was good too. The front desk was very friendly and helpful. Parking is available outside on the road for no charge. The rooms were very clean. The bath was a bit uncomfortable as it did not have the telephone shower, just the normal shower. But overall, we were quite satisfied with our stay.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Aviano
Reviewed 12 August 2012

I was looking for a hotel in Cortina and booked this one in Selva Di Cadore. Cortina hotels were very expensive. We reached this hotel by way of a mountain pass road SS638 that is extremely beautiful and worth the drive for site seeing alone. There were cows with bells that were wonderful to hear and see. There is a restaurant at the top of the pass. This hotel very reasonably priced. It was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was large, clean, and had extra features. The beds were hard but we slept well. Our room had a nice sized balcony. No chairs on the balcony however. Our Balcony overlooked the road with a grand view of the mountains. minimal road noise. We considered eating dinner at the hotel (for 15 euro a head) which would have been main course and buffet (which I think included drinks with wine/beer). I opted out of the hotel dinner because I was disappointed by the look of the buffet - it was rather demolished by 2045, and appeared to lack any healthy options such as vegetables - mostly just fillers (bready things). We went down the road and had some great pizza. The breakfast buffet was nice with many options - cereal , lemon cake, croissants, fruit, cheese, cold cuts. The juice and coffe machines were inadequate and produced extremely watered down juice, and weak coffee. Later in the morning I stopped at a cafe to get a jolt of caffeine. There was a lovely swimming pool but this is open 1500 to 2100 only so I did not get a chance to use it. I would definitely return to this hotel

Room Tip: We had a family room for 3 persons
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
#5 of 14 in Alleghe
Parkhotel Ladinia
Parkhotel Ladinia
#1 of 10 in San Vito di Cadore

Been to Hotel Nigritella? Share your experiences!