“very boring and safe Tasting menue” 2 of 5 bubbles

Preston House Restaurant and GuestHouse
Price range: US$9 - US$52
Cuisines: European, French, Irish, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Free Wifi, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Cork. Ireland
“very boring and safe Tasting menue”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Booked the Tasting Menu at Preston House at the end Of May. Very disappointed with the menu. The Sample menu showed :-

Ham Hock & Foie Gras Terrine, Pickled Vegetables
Gnocchi, Garden Peas, Parmesan Cream
Slow Braised Beef, Savoy Cabbage, Creamy mash
Monkfish, Asparagus, Crab & Lemon Butter
Port Soaked Blue Cheese, Poached Pear
Pannacotta, Passion Fruit Jelly

We got :-
Ham Hock , smoked Salmon, minced Crap. - very plain tasting.
goat's cheese on an flat puff pastry - v tasty but boring.
Sorbe
breast of Chicken, Savoy Cabbage, Creamy mash - v safe and plain tasting
Cheese plate - not very adventurous
Rasberrie tart.

Compared to the sample menu above this was very poor value for €60 a head

The Service was excellent and the quality of the food was very good but my point is that a tasting menu should show the best a restaurant has to offer and the chance for a Chef to show off his skills.
when asked how my meal was i was honest and said it was safe and boring . I said Abbeyleix is surrounded by countryside. Pigen, woodfowl, rabbit, phesant etc. there is a huge opportunity been missed by Preston House to showcase the Restaurant through their Taster Menu.

I was told that there was a new Chef on who was only hired 2 weeks previously . to be honest thats a cop out. A new Chef would have been bulling to make his /her own stamp on the menu and would have shown their culinery skills on the Menu or else take The Tasting menu off until they had time to put out their own stamp.

Staff Excellent, Ambiance Lovely, Atmosphere very good, Good wine list but let down completely by the Menu. At €60 a head i need a little more of a WOW factor and Sadly there was no wow here.
Hugh.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank hugowolfie

Dublin, Ireland
“Beautiful surroundings and amazing food!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

I was in Preston house for a friends wedding on the 26th of April 2014 and I can honestly say it was one if the most enjoyable weddings I've been to. On arrival we were warmly greeted with drinks and tea and fab canopés. The house is so warm with gorgeous couches and open fires. We were shown upstairs to a lovely dining area that was just the right size. I am an extremely fussy eater and the house had been told in advance of my 'no wet food' oddity. I was approached almost immediately by the owner to confirm my order. My fillet of beef when it arrived was extraordinary. I honestly have never eaten meat like it.
The hotel were a little slow with service but no one really minded as we were enjoying the atmosphere. The service, both food and bar, was helpful and friendly and the rooms are stunning. We unfortunately had rain but this did not dampen the spirits of a very happy group if guests.

• Visited April 2014
4 Thank Micsmary
London, United Kingdom
“Very Enjoyable Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

Food was excellent. We went for the a'la carte menu, I had the incredible soup and the delicate grilled Dover sole for main. Enjoyed every bit. Staff were extremely friendly & helpful.Very nice experience.

3 Thank Sean M
Monasterevin, Ireland
“Superb venue for a special occasion.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

We went for the seven course tasting menu in the Dining Room and were not disappointed. At the suggestion of our waiter we let the chef decide our courses taking in to account I don't eat fish. Each course was superb and beautifully presented with just the right spacing between courses and portion sizes.

The dining room is spacious with a feel of past days fine dining.

The only small gripe I would have is the notice in the entrance hall asking you to ring the bell for service. We rang the bell twice but still no one came.it's quaint but totally pointless as none of the staff can hear it.

3 Thank Deckie67
“Fantastic experience & great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Last minute decision so they squeezed us in. Had the tasting menu, 7 courses + coffee €60.
Was Given choice to see menu or just have food arrive as a surprise. ..... surprise of course!
Food was amazing, fresh and vibrant plates. Crab with Saffron jelly and their take on white choc raspberry desert were my two favourites.
Decor, music, mood etc were perfect.
Couple running it were so professional yet had a lovely personal touch.
Breda chose my red wine, Great trasting.

They showed us around the guest house and ball room. I wish I was planning my wedding again, this place would be the only place I would go to!

I will definitely be back and will be bringing friends.

3 Thank Sarah W