“Food was fabulous”

Cuisines: French, Irish, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed 10 July 2014

It is very upmarket but lovely for a treat. Lovely atmosphere, staff very efficient, not in your face. Explained everything on the menu and the wine list. Very friendly. I would opt for tasting menu next time

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We had the pleasure of celebrating our wedding day in Preston House in April. It was such a great venue to have our party and the house and staff made it a party to remember. The character of the house created a cozy and special atmosphere that we and our guests were able to make the most of. Everybody enjoyed the day and night thoroughly. We are still hearing compliments from our guests for the food, particularly the beef and the late night nibbles. For special occasions the house itself, the amazing food and very helpful and friendly staff combine to make this an excellent venue to explore.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Meal was hard to fault...Portions were smallish, but in the end we were very full, so the right size..

I had crab and monkfish. Both fresh, well presented. Wine was well recommended. Friendly and appropriate service with lots of attention and tailored to what we asked. I would go back here tonight.

3  Thank IrlandeRussie
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Booked the Tasting Menu at Preston House at the end Of May. Very disappointed with the menu. The Sample menu showed :-

Ham Hock & Foie Gras Terrine, Pickled Vegetables
Gnocchi, Garden Peas, Parmesan Cream
Slow Braised Beef, Savoy Cabbage, Creamy mash
Monkfish, Asparagus, Crab & Lemon Butter
Port Soaked Blue Cheese, Poached Pear
Pannacotta, Passion Fruit Jelly

We got :-
Ham Hock , smoked Salmon, minced Crap. - very plain tasting.
goat's cheese on an flat puff pastry - v tasty but boring.
Sorbe
breast of Chicken, Savoy Cabbage, Creamy mash - v safe and plain tasting
Cheese plate - not very adventurous
Rasberrie tart.

Compared to the sample menu above this was very poor value for €60 a head

The Service was excellent and the quality of the food was very good but my point is that a tasting menu should show the best a restaurant has to offer and the chance for a Chef to show off his skills.
when asked how my meal was i was honest and said it was safe and boring . I said Abbeyleix is surrounded by countryside. Pigen, woodfowl, rabbit, phesant etc. there is a huge opportunity been missed by Preston House to showcase the Restaurant through their Taster Menu.

I was told that there was a new Chef on who was only hired 2 weeks previously . to be honest thats a cop out. A new Chef would have been bulling to make his /her own stamp on the menu and would have shown their culinery skills on the Menu or else take The Tasting menu off until they had time to put out their own stamp.

Staff Excellent, Ambiance Lovely, Atmosphere very good, Good wine list but let down completely by the Menu. At €60 a head i need a little more of a WOW factor and Sadly there was no wow here.
Hugh.

11  Thank hugowolfie
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I was in Preston house for a friends wedding on the 26th of April 2014 and I can honestly say it was one if the most enjoyable weddings I've been to. On arrival we were warmly greeted with drinks and tea and fab canopés. The house is so warm with gorgeous couches and open fires. We were shown upstairs to a lovely dining area that was just the right size. I am an extremely fussy eater and the house had been told in advance of my 'no wet food' oddity. I was approached almost immediately by the owner to confirm my order. My fillet of beef when it arrived was extraordinary. I honestly have never eaten meat like it.
The hotel were a little slow with service but no one really minded as we were enjoying the atmosphere. The service, both food and bar, was helpful and friendly and the rooms are stunning. We unfortunately had rain but this did not dampen the spirits of a very happy group if guests.

4  Thank Micsmary