“Terrible room... Nice breakfast”

Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Abbeyleix
Ireland
“Terrible room... Nice breakfast”
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

I booked an advance purchase on this hotel without reading the reviews here. I wish I did. The bed was so uncomfortable that I woke up throughout the night and had back pain all the next day.
The shower attachment was broken and the piece that broke was just left on the bath. So it was impossible to use the shower. The bathroom the also sweltering hot.
Dirty carpet and wifi that just didn't work.
The only redeeming feature of this hotel is the breakfast

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank TobagoTobago
Kate I, Manager at Abbeyleix Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Dear TobagoTobago,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I am sorry that your bedroom did not meet our usual high standards and expectations on this occasion. I'm glad that you enjoyed your breakfast and I hope that you felt able to speak with a member of our staff about your accommodation during your stay.

Thank you again for your review.

Kate

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Stayed in the Abbeyleix Manor for one night over a weekend. Reception was friendly and had no issues with staff. The reason I have given this hotel a poor rating is because the double room was very dirty. upon arrival the room looked clean enough. but when we left i was checking to make sure i had everything and noticed dirty underwear underneath the bed (which was not ours) even in standard accommodation of a lower rating i would not expect this. The room was also very warm and the window only opened a fraction which made our stay quite uncomfortable. The walls are extremely thin in this hotel so be prepared to hear everything next door to you! Another thing that annoyed me was there were only 2 pillows in the room. I have stayed in low cost hotels where you would get at least 3 on a double bed. No duvet also. just an old fashioned throw over the sheets you sleep on. The throw looked old and it smelt musty and dirty. I wish i could have complained about the room and given the hotel a chance to rectify this, but as we were out in town all day most of the nasty things i noticed in the room was at a late hour, at that stage we just wanted to go to bed. Really not impressed with the cleanliness of the hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LlyodClare
Dear LlyodClare,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry that your bedroom was not to our usual standards of cleanliness and I have passed on your comments to our housekeeping team. I am sorry that we did not meet our own high standards on this occasion.

Thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel and we appreciate your feedback.

Kate

Travellers are raving about these Abbeyleix hotels

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Myself and a number of my employees stayed here 15-17 November, from the moment we arrived, which was quite late in the evening, until the moment we left, we had a tremendous stay. The decor was very luxurious, but very homely and inviting, the photos posted on their site dont do them justice. The standard of food served was outstanding, also a wide variety of selection available, we wanted to eat everything on the menu. The rooms were clean and tidy, very no frills and basic, could do with a little bit of tlc and updating as they do not seem to match the high spec of the rest of the hotel which was beautiful, but taking into account that we paid for the lower rate of rooms as there we 10 of us in total it came as good value for money. The staff were very friendly and pleasant and went out of their way to accomadate our needs. I would definetly return.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a higher spec room pay the extra as the rest of the hotel is wonderful.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Nicola P,

Thank you for your kind words and I will let the rest of the team know that your group enjoyed their stay with us.

Waterford
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My husband & I stayed here for one night(more than enough),in October.We were the only two at reception booking in,yet we had to wait,till receptionist decided to raise her head to acknowledge us,mid way throught,receptionist took an inhouse call,was laughing & joking on phone while we stood & waited.She did however apologise,but did not make eye contact.
Hand on heart,our room was the dirtiest I have ever stayed in,the carpet was all stained,the bed covers were faided & worn & furniture was stained & chipped.
It was'nt cheap,€109,B/B.The only plus was the food was nice & staff in bar were very pleasant & friendly.

Room Tip: Cant remember room no,but it was to back of hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MarieWaterford
Dear MarieWaterford,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and I am really sorry to see that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I hope that you felt able to speak with a member of our reception or housekeeping team during your stay about your bedroom as I am sure that they would have wanted to of corrected anything that was wrong. However, I am sorry that you found our receptionist not very friendly or welcoming. I am pleased that you found our food enjoyable and our bar and restaurant staff friendly.

Thank you again for reviewing our hotel and we really appreciate all feedback from our guests.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We stayed here back in July this year it was our second time to stay here and we were rather disappointed. We booked the room as it was rather cheap..60e for two of us to share a room without breakfast. However, the room was disappointing, there were stains on the carpet in our room and the room just didn't seem clean. The hotel itself is in need of refurbishment, and we felt from our last stay (three years ago) the hotel was not as well maintained. Having said all this, the staff were friendly at reception. Overall, however I don't think well be back again!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank lovethesuna
Dear lovethesuna,

Thank you for your review as we appreciate all of our guests comments and feedback. I am sorry that you were not happy with your bedroom and I hope that you were able to speak with a member of our reception team during your stay with us.

Thanks again for taking the time to review our hotel.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

We stayed here for one night, a Saturday in September. The hotel is an impressive building from the front. The reception staff are a little lacking in customer service and it seems very much like a “local’s hotel”
We needed dinner so decided to eat in the bar. The staff in the bar were courteous and food arrived promptly. The chicken satay was very tasty while the lasagna was unusually presented in a bowl with a mushroom sauce around it.
The foyer and bar must have been recently renovated but the bedroom we had was 1980’s – no frills. However it was a large room which could sleep 4 and the facilities while very tired and dated were adequate. The room was clean but in definite need of some TLC and very drab decor. The lack of attention to detail in the bathroom suite was evident from the odd matching taps, the large amount of paint hanging off the ceiling from the shower steam and the towels resembled tea towels.
So if you’re looking for ultra modern and high spec rooms this is not the place for you, but if you’re willing to compromise and need a cheap sleep this will do.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back !
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Tilly21,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and I am pleased that you enjoyed your meal with us. I am sorry that you stayed in one of our older bedrooms, but these are currently being refurbished. I am also sorry that you felt that the receptionist was not welcoming, but I hope that you felt able to speak to a member of our reception team about your bedroom during your stay.

Thank you again for your review. We appreciate any feedback or comments our guests give us.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

we attended a weddind there food, staff were excellent especially two of the staff were outstanding, eoin & maggie we were late down for breakfast no problem we served a lovely breakfast by maggie, eoin must have stayed there all night he was there when we checked in 3.30pm and still there when we were leaving the next day a 3.00pm and he was everywhere taking up duties, food & staff 100%. rooms need to be updated & bit more clean...

Room Tip: rooms to front might be better,
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Heatherfeb,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the members of staff you encountered were friendly and welcoming. I hope that you felt able to speak with a member of our housekeeping or reception teams during your stay about your bedroom as I am sure they would have wanted to correct anything that was not right with your room.

Kate
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abbeyleix
Maldron Hotel Portlaoise
#1 of 1 in Killenard
O'Loughlins Hotel
O'Loughlins Hotel
#4 of 4 in Portlaoise

Been to Abbeyleix Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!