“Bad value for money”
Review of Mandara Resort

Mandara Resort
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Mirissa
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Mediocre rooms combined with sloppy service probably makes this one of the worst places to stay in the vicinity. Highly disappointed by the lack of commitment by the team to detail. Feels cheated and let down.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank prabashh
Mandara r, Sales & Marketing Manager at Mandara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Sir,

On behalf of Mandara Hotels, I wish to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and disappointment caused to you.
Your valued comments stated are greatly appreciated as it is with such constructive criticism that our facilities would be enriched.

Manager /Sales & Marketing

There are newer reviews for Mandara Resort

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I got to the Mandara Resort purely on instinct. I had driven down to the South and was planning to be back by the evening but got too tired and decided to stay the night. Not having been to the area before I decided to take a chance on Mandara. It turned out to be a good choice. The staff was excellent and the acting manager, Kamal Gunasekara, was a very Gracious and kind host. The rooms were large but cosy, well furnished and the ambience was soothing.
I will definitely be coming back for a longer planned stay.

• Stayed: March 2014

Thank you very much for selecting Mandara Resort. Your valuable comments are welcome indeed as it would no doubt assist us in providing an improvised service to all potential guests.
Look forward to your return in the future.

Manager Sales & Marketing

Reviewed 9 March 2014

We couldn't wait to get to Mandara, which is marketed as a Mirissa paradise. However our opinion of the hotel went steeply downhill the longer we were there. Where do I start?
Well, given the cost of the holiday my 2 rating comes with that in mind. Sure there are worse places in Mirissa but you don't pay anywhere near the same amount to stay in any of those. If we'd had our honeymoon here I would have been upset.
On a positive note the hotel is situated on a stretch of beautiful and unspoiled beach. It was a little disconcerting to see cows walking up and down, but I became kind of fond of that! The pool too was nice and had lovely lights in the floor that twinkled in the evening.
Our room (105) was nice compared to others we managed to glimpse. We had just two point of complaint- The jacuzzi was more of a large bath tub with a power jet function, so don't be tempted to pay lots more for these. And our 'sea view' was more of a 'palm tree and roof view, with a sea glimpse' sort of view. There was a large roof just below our balcony which had festering rain water on the top.
The rooms are turned down twice a day and he cleaning staff did a nice job. On the final day flowers were scattered in our bath, which was a nice touch. Unfortunately they also turned on the jets so that they sprayed everywhere when we touched the taps...
As is customary in hotels, there was a "facilities and services" leaflet in our room. It is a mystery to me who compiled this leaflet because much of what was advertised the hotel simply didn't offer. Take for example the reference to other trips on the back- the lady at reception had no idea what I was getting at when I referred to other trips. One trip that the hotel do plug however is whale watching. If I'd been asked one more time whether I wanted to book this trip then I would have screamed. We did in fact book this trip. It cost 6000rupees and we were told that this was inclusive of travel, sandwiches and of course the whale watching trip itself. In fact we were later told that we would need to pay for a tuc tuc and the hotel were able to get us one at more than twice the normal price.
This wasn't the only occasion when travel arrangements proved more difficult than you might have hoped. One day we arranged a taxi to mirissa centre, which is about 2km away. We were quoted 800 rupees and then waited for c.30 mins. No taxi had arrived and therefore we asks the desk to check the taxi drivers whereabouts. We were then told that he was going to be a while and that the price would in fact be more like 1600 rupees. We opted out, walked down the dirt track to the road and flagged down a tuc tuc.
How about the food? If it arrives as you have ordered and once it actually gets to you then it is generally "quite nice" (I put it no higher than that). We had two disasters- one with the devilled chicken, which was in fact a plate of devilled bones, and then a rock solid burger. In the first dish the waiter had the decency to get the staff to ask for another small portion, but I had no idea that this was being brought and therefore ploughed on with the rest of it.
The service though was an absolute shambles. I was ready for misunderstandings and things lost in translation, but they could not get the basics right. In almost every meal the items on the menu were not in stock. No meals were brought for us, either as a couple or when two other friends joined us, to enable us all to eat together. Even items which they had run out of but which you said you would really like to try they did not get in. Often there were promises of "we'll get that tomorrow" but they never did. My simple request for a diet coke (on the menu) was met with head shaking.
Breakfasts were good, if not a little overbearing. This was once again a menu rather than a buffet style and unless you wanted everything on the continental, American or Sri Lankan menu then you got the feeling that you were offending someone! I don't know about you but if I have an inactive day planned then I really don't want fruit juice, followed by the fruit platter, followed by the meat platter, followed by the cheese platter, followed by cereal, followed by yoghurt, followed by eggs (fried poached or scrambled), followed by pancakes....!

How about the spa I here you say? Go elsewhere is my response. My husband asked on our first day whether we could book a massage each. "Just come along at any time" we were told. Wrong. We arrived and the spa were busy. Nobody could tell us how long they would be so we went back to our room and reception promised to call. 1 hour later we received a call and were told that the spa had now gone home. "How about tomorrow?" Reluctantly we booked two people for massages at 6pm the following day. Upon turning up however we were told that the spa had not turned up to work today because "He is scared that you are pregnant..." I explained that this is usually not a problem beyond the second trimester but got nowhere. "How about my husband?" I asked. This was met with shrugs and a few phone calls trying to find somewhere else. We didn't hear how they got on and didn't bother with the hassle of a re-book. The hotel were unapologetic.
The standard of service progressively declined by the end of the holiday. By the end we struggled to find a member of staff who would take a drinks order. They all looked busy, but busy with what I don't know because there were hardly any other guests. Which brings me to my final complaint. There was no atmosphere whatsoever in the evening. It was lovely having some peace and quiet in the day time but there was nothing to do in the evening. The hotel leaflet promised music, but there wasn't even a CD playing in the restaurant. The staff were clearing up around you by 9pm, and this was usually in an annoying way which involved clearing one glass/ fork at a time rather than waiting until every one was finished. After dinner there was nowhere to go and nothing to see. There wasn't even a bar area to sit with friends until your food had digested. We took to sitting on our bed with the iPad or playing cards at our coffee table in the room. They have wireless, but you can't get the internet in your room (or we couldn't anyway).

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank l1ttlem1ssf1nch
Reviewed 24 February 2014

First of all the hotel advertised that it is located in mirissa which is the main reason we booked here when it is not, it is actually in welligama which is a fishing village. The rooms are clean however, we did not want to stay here and kept going out because the service was terrible, the food was bad (it took such a long time, and all the bread and croissants at breakfast were really stale), and the staff were really pushy and wouldn't leave us alone. I wouldn't recommend staying here, especially if you are all women. The men serving us lingered around to the point of making us uncomfortable, despite us looking the other way or walking away and would stare at us for long periods of time which made us feel unsafe. One night we had a knock on the door late, at around 10 or 11pm, my friend and I were in bed so our other friend answered the door, a male staff member let himself into the room without permission and said we didn't sign our bill (which could have waited until the morning) when my friend signed it and handed it back he grabbed her hand and wouldn't let go...she had to push him out the door and was terrified. We left the next morning and found another hotel despite already having payed for another two nights. This place has no atmosphere and they do not respect your privacy. It is also really overpriced for what it is. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. There are so many lovely places to stay in mirissa.

• Stayed: February 2014
8  Thank Sunshineanndd
Mandara r, Director of Sales at Mandara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Such incidents are not norm in our hotel and we immediately checked with the hotel whether any complaint has been lodged to that effect during your stay or prior to your departure from the hotel.

On perusal of records, (guest comments card filled by you) and having checked with the staff, there was no such complaint made by you prior to your departure.

However, your valued comments stated are greatly appreciated as it is with such constructive criticism that our facilities would be enriched and please note that necessary action has been taken for further investigation.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We had a lovely weekend at mandara mirissa. The rooms we got were spacious and lovely. The view from the room was amazing.

However the food could improve and the hotel could get more staff to improve the efficiency of the service. The existing staff were wonderful, specially the F & B manager who was so alert and attentive to all the guests.
Overall it was a nice stay.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for selecting Mandara Resort for your vacation. It is inspiring to hear that our existing staff was wonderful. Your valuable comments are welcome indeed as it would no doubt assist us in providing an improvised service to all potential guests.

Look forward to your return in the future.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Nice place to relax. Friendly staff. Walk to the beach at the sun rise. amazing feeling. Water was bit chlorinated. That's the Only issue we had. So that I had to buy separate water bottle when we are dinning. That was not nice. But This is a good place to be.

Room Tip: room with a nice see view. No:98
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Mandara Hotels I thank you very much for selecting Mandara Resort for your vacation and look forward for your continuous patronage.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

1.Most Sri Lanka hotels are overpriced.This is no exception.
2.The room(508) we had was large but tacky.The blinds were falling apart;the zircon noisy as the "low was high,and high absurd"!
3.No wifi in the room and poor wifi in reception area.
4.The food was very average for the price they charged.
5.The service staff was good and ready to please as in most Sri Lankan accommodation I have used.
6.Beware of sandflies.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

We deeply value your feedback and it would assist us in enhancing our facilities and services.

Mandara Hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mirissa
Esprit d'Ici Hotel
Sri Sharavi Beach Villas & Spa
Weligama Bay Resort
Weligama Bay Resort
#9 of 14 in Weligama

Been to Mandara Resort? Share your experiences!