“Stay at Paradise Hotel or Number 1 instead!”
Review of Palace Mirissa

Palace Mirissa
Ranked #76 of 195 Mirissa B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Although room #206 is meant to be one of the better ones..Sheets with holes, old skanky towels, a bathroom that stank of sewage, no complimentary water.. -This was our experience of it.

Twice I was unnerved by restaurant staff who were sitting around between shifts staring at female guests walking past. This put me off swimming in the pool and made me feel incredibly uncomfortable.

Although the porters were lovely, the man at the front desk was totally unresponsive when we gently gave some feedback upon checkout.

The walk back from the beach is very steep and we felt very removed from the magic of Mirissa Beach.

Upside: can use restaurant vouchers down at Paradise Hotel on the beach; we'd highly recommend this for breakfast AND dinner. In fact stay there instead if possible!

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank LucyBooko

Reviewed 3 April 2014

We booked this hotel for the location (further from Mirissa Beach and on a clifftop), We arrived on Saturday afternoon, and had booked whale watching for the next morning.

We turned in for an early night as we were getting up at 5:30 to see the whales. This didn't happen. Loud, thumping music started to play from the beach at around 10:30 pm and didn't stop until 4:15 am. I'm 30 years old and have never heard nightclub music so loud ... and we weren't even anywhere near the beach.

It was horrible. We changed our booking and left a day early as noone could guarantee that the same thing wouldn't occur the next night.

My advice is don't stay on a Friday or Saturday night. It was a nightmare.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SarahH3
Reviewed 14 March 2014

In agreement with many reviewers that the hotel,decor,staff and location are first class,However,no one who has stayed cannot have been but badly affected by very heavy disco music across the bay on the beach area! until approx.3-4a.m.Everyone we spoke to, from hotel management to tea shop and other outlets are very concerned, it is affecting their businesses and livelihoods! Tourists leave after a very short time,this(music) is seriously loud.On inquiry it seems the police and local authorities are powerless to intervene,it appears (as a previous reviewer commented) to be drink and drug related.This is a great pity as the Palace hotel has a lot to offer.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gre294
Reviewed 8 February 2014

You pay a bit but my goodness it's worth it. Smashing rooms, personal decor, great food, fabulous location (apart from catching the late night beach bar sound systems, being on top of the headland). And actually not that expensive for half board, and a bit of luxury.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hullmick
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed here 1 night for my husbands birthday. No one met us on arrival. The reception was extremely average. The room, though lovely in character was very shabby.
Part of the tail end on the bed had been kicked in and a poor attempt at fixing it with tape had been made. The sheets had holes in them.
The evening meal was a buffet....very average. We had to ask to have the lights put on so we could see the food. The staff were distant and unattentive, making no attempt to engage us.
The only person willing to make any effort was the pool attendant named rangeet who was polite and took the time to speak to us.
Breakfast was a poor excuse, again the staff were lazy and argued about who needed to make juice when it ran out. We arrived and sat down and were told the buffet was over there, no good morning, no nothing!!!. The fruit was poor condition, with flies around it all. Coffee was not available and we had to wait while it was made.
The overall condition of the hotel was past it's best, and does not warrant the 90euro cost per night, even at half board. On the whole, the experience was less than average and with the price in mind, the staff and food, was a complete robbery.
The are better places to stay on the beach with more character and half the price and less. Not worth the money or the time to stay there.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pete7470
Reviewed 14 December 2013

It was late afternoon when I reached Mirissa. We took a turned right to a narrow road that led to the Mirissa Beach Club resort. From there the road takes a steep incline as we continued towards Palace Mirissa which was located a little further away. At the entrance is an impressive gate After check in I was taken to my room. By now it was getting dark and to reach my room I had to climb some steps and then walk through an inclined path. The path was lit by small side lights and the lighting was quite insufficient. My room was to the left of the path and again there were some steps before the room could be reached. After depositing my luggage, I was shown the way to the restaurant for which I again had to descend a number of steps. As I am an elderly person with weak eye sights, I asked if I could get a room with an easier access but was informed that the hotel was fully occupied.
The room was spacious with a double bed and an extra bed. There was a small wooden verandah attached to the room. There were some coconut trees that I could see from the verandah. The toilet has shower and is clean.
Here the accommodation was on a half board basis where along with breakfast the dinner was also included in the tariff. After finishing my drink and some of the French fries, I went to the restaurant which was serving a Sri Lankan buffet of average quality and variety.
As I am an early riser, I got up when it was still dark. With the first rays of light, I went to the verandah and all around were the coconut trees the sea behind the coconut trees. I heard the squirrels chirping amongst the coconut tree just next to my verandah. Below and diagrammatically opposite to the verandah was a lovely swimming pool. It was then that I realized that this place perhaps was the finest place to stay in Mirissa. I went to the restaurant around 6.30am and saw a staff laying the tables. He informed that the breakfast is from 7.30 am. I went to the lawn and had a great view of the Indian Ocean. On one side the waves were crashing into the rocks while at the other was a row of coconut trees with the ocean behind.

I realized the hotel was located on a hill at a fairly elevated level. The whole complex consists of 13 standalone cottages or chalets with a private balcony in the front. Between each cottage were a number of coconut trees which rendered privacy to each cottage. The cottages were all located at different levels and all faced the sea. As I strolled along I saw a pair of pet peacocks. The swimming pool situated on a level piece of land was lovely with blue water. It was clear to me that this was undoubtedly the best location that one can dream of in Mirissa.

As the hotel is located on an outcrop there is no easy access to the beach. I had to walk down the road leading towards the Beach resort and about 100 metres away there are a series of narrow steps that lead to the lovely beach.

I found that the Mirissa Beach Club resort belonged to the same group as the Mirissa palace and was located at the beach level with an easy access to the beach. As it was in the same group, I could have my breakfast, lunch and dinner at this place without going to the Mirissa Palace. The breakfast and the buffets were very good and I regularly had my food here during my stay. This way I could save a lot of the steep climb back to the hotel.

Thus I could enjoy the advantages of both the places. From what I could see, the Mirissa Palace had a superior location and rooms than the Beach Hotel but the later was in the very heart of the beach.

Room Tip: If you are an elderly person ask for a room with easy access. The paths are ill lit and can be diffi...