“Let me run it past Mirissa...”
Review of Sea Breeze Lodge

Sea Breeze Lodge
Ranked #72 of 147 Speciality Lodging in Mirissa
Legian
“Let me run it past Mirissa...”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

My partner and I headed down here after comparing the surf report with the east side of Sri Lanka at the time. We were looking for a few relaxing days and a few waves. We found out on arrival that the surf report was pretty heavily overstated and had to make do with onshore slop when we paddled out.

Despite the poor surf conditions, the backdrop was amazing. At one end of the bay a black rocky point covered with coconut trees offered some protection from the westerly July winds. A lagoon is formed where a reef ledge shelters a section of water from the incoming waves, making it a nice place to take a swim. The rest of the long, clean sandy bay is lined with shacked restaurants that back onto accommodation options. There isn't much variety between the menus of these places and as with most countries, they do there own food the best. Enjoy a curry...

Sea Breeze Lodge itself is literally across the road from the beach. This provides respite from the crowds of people that walk in and out of the beach-side hotels all day.The room we stayed in was comfortable. No AC but the fan was more than enough during the day and night. A mosquito net gave us respite from Sri Lanka's monster sized mozzies.

The food at the lodge was delicious and we ate there most nights we were in Mirissa. Again the Sri Lankan meals were the best, including the breakfasts. Try the fruit salad and ice-cream!

The service had a maternal warmth to it and while the English spoken was very limited (and so was our Singhalese) we almost always managed to communicate what we needed to.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2013

I had a really nice 6 day stay here. I was accosted by the owner as me and some friends were checking out the more luxurious place opposite and, having heard the 2000 ruppees price tag (the place we'd just looked at was 5000), didn't hold out too much hope for the place.
I was in room 3, the only room at the back of the building. Being round the back I had no problem at all with road noise or any other disturbances. The rooms are clean, a good size and well priced (although could maybe do with a lick of paint).
I only ate breakfast (so many restaurants on the beach for evening meals), which at 400 ruppees was very good value and usually consisted of an omelete, 5 slices of toast, a glass of freshly made fruit juice and a huge pot of coffee, more than enough for 2 people, let alone one! The best thing to do is let them know at the beginning of your stay what time you want breakfast and they'll generally have it on your table ready for you on time every day (some days it got there slightly early). If you order food on the day (like everywhere in mirissa!!) it can take up to an hour for it to arrive, so much better to order in advance.
Location wise it couldn't be better: just a stones throw from the beach and a couple of minutes up the road from the small cluster of shops.
They also own their own tuktuk and will happily run you up the road to weligama (for trips to the ATM) for a better price than most of the private drivers. Like everyone else, they also offer the obligatory Whale spotting trips but, unlike others, once you say "no", they never ask you again.
The people that run the place are very pleasant, although only the guy who i assume owns the place speaks any English.
I left after 6 days to spend my final 2 days at poppies, just down the road, for a bit of luxury at the end of my trip and ended up regretting this and wished I'd just stayed at Sea Breeze.
I really enjoyed my stay here and would head straight there if i ever return to Mirissa.

Room Tip: try to get room 3 if its free. It's out the back and, as a result, is quieter. It has a table ou...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank scottymac75
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Had a nice stay here - the room was a good size, nice and clean, and everything felt pretty new and in good condition. The mozzie net and plug-in gizmo helped me avoid bites for a few days, which was very welcome.

The small cluster of rooms are set back a short way from the main road, so expect a bit of noise from the buses etc thundering along - it didn't really affect us however. The proximity to the beach was a real benefit, literally cross the road and you're there.

The owner was nice and friendly, and helped with arranging activities and transport, and was keen to make sure we didn't get overcharged by tuk tuk drivers etc.

A nice breakast was included, and watching the palm trees drooping over the beach with a blue sky included, was a great way to start the day.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LastMinuteMan_ab76
Hereford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Because of the price I did not have much hope for this place but when we arrived it was pleasant. The place is clean and tidy. It may not be the most private as you can hear people outside your room but its still peaceful. The beach is just a few steps across the road. Staff are pleasant. It takes an hour for food to be served but when it does turn up its delicious - so oder in advance.
I loved my time in Mirrisa - whales are beautiful.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alma W
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We booked this accomodation through Agoda from back home as we thought it would be difficult to find an accomodation due to peak season, which was not really the case. This place was one of the most expensive we slept it, but it might be due to the fact that we booked beforehand.

Our wooden room was very nice and clean, the guesthouse opened in the last couple of months so that is the main reason for it. But have to say that it was well equipped with a good mosquito net and also mosquito repellent.

Breakfast was average. I tasted my first Sri Lankan breafast from here but I did not like it as it was too spicy. My next experiences after there were all positive. We had dinner once on our last night and to be honest, had we tried it the nights before, we might have dined there every night as the food cooked was excellent as well as the price. To be honest that was what was most reasonably priced at Sea Breeze...the food.

The negative points we experienced in this place was the insistence for us on going for whale watching with them when we had already booked this activity from back home. They asked us around 3 times...one would have been more than enough. On the day of whale watching they offered to take us with their three wheeler to the fisheries and we made it a point that we had to leave at 6 as we were setting off at 06:20.

When at 06:00 we say there was no three wheeler we enquired, the person who was there called and he told us he was coming. At 06:10 we were getting worried and came to know that we had to wait for another 10 mins, at which point we just left to get a three wheeler ourselves. Another thing I did not like is when they offered to get us a three wheeler to go to Tangalle. They said that it would cost us Rs7000 when in actual fact we paid only Rs2500.

In my opinion this place is excellent to eat at and to sleep away from the beach noise but other than that there are many, many other options

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Sea Breeze Lodge is a small guesthouse just 2 seconds from the beach in Mirissa. The family that runs this b&b is just amazing. They made our trip more special. My husband and I ended up having a coffee in their home and knowing a little bit more about them. Apart of this great family, the rooms are really clean and new. They serve a superb rice an curry, I cannot recommend it enough.The price is very good too.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LilianaStahr
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Sea Breeze Lodge is a new small lovely guesthouse with a great welcome feeling at Mirissa. They are just open. The place and the location are great. The place is located a street cross from the beach, only 2 minutes walk. The 5 rooms are clean, good big double bed with good mattress, good service, friendly and helpfull people and very important, good cooking. The food for both breakfast and dinner are fantasic with generous portions.
After 3 days the staff ask for to clean the room, bedsheet and towels. Amazing, i never had this experience before in Sri Lanka. Normally I must ask it by my own.
The price for the rooms are good value , good for what you get.
I reccomend this place.