“If you want bad service come here”

Water Creatures Restaurant
Ranked #42 of 78 Restaurants in Mirissa
Cuisines: Asian, European
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Reviewed 10 February 2014

The staff think they are too cool for school, think they are either coming down from being high or actually high, not sure. Food isn't too great either. Avoid, unless you are also a cool high surfer.

3  Thank NKelly186338

Reviewed 30 January 2014

I have just returned home from a fantastic 7 days in Sri Lanka. In Mirissa we stayed at a great Hotel two doors down from this dump. It's a great location. Sadly it's staffed by a bunch of stoned Sri Lankan surfies who think they are so cool they are frozen. The manager does not care either.
Service is rubbish. Food was the worst we have experienced. How can you ruin a grilled fish? We asked for some seafood Sri Lankan style, and the waiter said "sure with chilli and spices?".
It came out uncooked covered in garlic. Just DO NOT GO TO THIS place. It is only busy because of the loud music. There are many other better places. WORST EXPERIENCE IN SRI LANKA. I did not have any wifi so could not refer to TA before going out.

4  Thank golfy69
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Hard to go wrong with seafood in Mirissa...abundant and delicious. They also made my favorite Mojito...service is slow but it doesn't really matter because the view and location are so stunning with tables right in the sand all lit by lanterns and candlelight.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

We ate here, chilli chicken & cashew which was good but served with a very measly portion of rice. Pizza wasn't great but was ok. Food is expensive as with most places on the beach but beers are cheap at happy hour and staff are friendly. Recommend for a beer to watch the sunset.

1  Thank Danny276
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I have never written a Trip Advisor review that suggests a person never go to that hotel/restaurant/etc. This is because I typically consult TA before going somewhere on a trip. I failed to do so this night and will never do that again. We ended up at Water Creatures after wandering down the beach strip and sitting down at a restaurant that had a nice view of the water and nice decor. We sat at a table on the sand and felt confident we were in for a nice night of dinner and drinks on a beautiful beach in a beautiful country.

I will preface this with the acknowledgement that service is often different/slower in other countries (we are from the US). However, I am used to this and often enjoy that other nations do not rush diners the same way that Americans do. I noticed that things did move slightly slower at most Sri Lankan restaurants, but at other places I felt that our needs were acknowledged and fulfilled.

Water Creatures was not only slow, but completely inept at how to care for a customer. We waited for a waiter for nearly 30 minutes. He came to our table and was giggling for no apparant reason. We ordered drinks and our food because we had had plenty of time to look at the menu. Our drinks arrived about 25 minutes later (bottled beers....) and we enjoyed the drinks as the sun set. The sun set and the night progressed with no food... an HOUR AND FORTY FIVE MINUTES later our waiter returned for the first time all night. He did not have food with him, and when we asked him how long our food might be he didn't answer and walked away. We assume that he forgot to place our order at all. Almost 3 hours into our dining experience our food arrived. The food was not much good, and the ambiance of the night had been certainly ruined by the poor service. We asked to speak with a manager and no one came to our table. We asked for our check and this arrived approximately 40 minutes after we requested. I have never contemplated leaving without paying a bill before, but I was quite close. However, integrity forced me to wait for our bill and pay for the terrible experience we had. We did not tip because our waiter had spent the night avoiding our table (and all tables for that matter) and sitting on the steps of the restaurant talking to other waiters (who were just as terrible at customer service).

Please do not spend your time or money at this terrible establishment. I am a very patient person, particularly when traveling, but I spent nearly 5 hours at this restaurant (not by choice). We were never brought another round of beers when ordered, and left this restaurant astonished when the waiter followed us down the beach asking why we did not leave him a tip.

6  Thank MeliQ