“Frendly pub”

Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Holt
Price range: US$9 - US$16
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We serve classic pub food lunchtimes Mon - Sun 12-3 and evening meals Mon - Sat 6pm -9pm.
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We wandered in early in the evening looking for somewhere to eat. We were greeted warmly by the person behind the bar, We had a few pints of I.P.A which were good. The food - steak and ham egg and chips were cooked spot on. We will be going back.

There are newer reviews for The Old Ham Tree Inn

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Dining Room was homely, friendly, reasonably priced. We came back for a second visit and would certainly return if we are in the area.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We arrived at The Old Ham Tree early on a Tuesday evening for dinner using a Living Social deal. We were greeted by Steph and Sam (the landlords). They had a really good selection of real ales and Sam was happy to let us sample a few before we made our selection. The food menu was very varied with plenty of veggie meals to choose from. I had the special, Sweet potato and falafel pie, with salad and chunky chips. My husband had the homemade burger, chips and salad. For puddings we had the sticky toffee pudding and a crème brulee.
The food was superb, all home made and freshly prepared. We were very impressed and will be recommending to our friends and will be going back there very soon.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We had walked to Holt from Great Chalfield Manor and wanted somewhere for a light lunch. We looked in at The Glove Factory restaurant but decided it was quite expensive for what it was. It looks the sort of place everyone hears about and "simply MUST visit".
Well, they should walk on through the village and go to this lovely little pub and get an extremely tasty lunch which is much better value than anything they are offering.
From the road, the pub just looks like a typical local, and to be fair, inside it is not particularly celubrious. We walked round the back to their little garden and it was charming. The picnic benches all had gravel under them so you don't get mud on your shoes.
The land lady came out to take our order and she was really pleasant and friendly.
We ordered from the 'lighter' menu and it was fabulous. Just what we wanted. We were pleased because some pubs only serve roasts on a Sunday , and this wasn't the case here.
My haddock in batter was EXCELLENT and to be honest, I was rather wishing I hadn't ordered a smaller portion because I finished my meal and fancied more! That said, the portion was a pretty decent one to start off with.
The pub is dog friendly inside( in the bar area only) and they were really welcoming to the dog , giving him a lovely biscuity treat.
I agree with some other reviewers that inside, it needs a bit of a 'spruce up' but I think the owners have plans to do this. However, I don't think they should change it at all and I certainly wouldn't like to see it looking like one of those non-descript ,'designer' gastro pubs. It is quaint and I like it that .
It's the lovely staff and food that are most important.
I mentioned it to my mum and she says she went there on a groupon offer recently and she totally agreed with me. She thought her food was delicious.
I am already looking forward to a return visit. By the time I get round to it, it will probably be following a wintry dog walk, somewhere near Holt, but at least I know we will be welcomed into the bar and will eat a delicious meal. Can't wait!

Reviewed 25 May 2014

After discovering this pub through the Tastecard website we ventured, with trepidation for Sunday lunch. I am sure we won't offend by saying that you could easily pass this hostelry without a second glance. I urge you not to do this, stop and enter.

We were greeted by friendly staff, who showed us to a choice of possible tables. They promptly explained the menu and what was on offer. We selected a couple of starters from the specials board and two roast dinners. Both courses were presented excellently. There was a great selection of hot, fresh veg and both roast meats were of outstanding quality and oh so tender. Both courses digested, we were both rather satisfied but perused the dessert menu nonetheless. We discovered that they could offer a smaller portion of dessert along with a coffee for the same price as a standard size dessert. What a fantastic idea! The brownie was to die for and homemade ice cream outstanding.

We shall definitely return. I just hope we can get a table when more people discover what a great find The Old Ham Tree in Holt is!