“This place is a hidden Gem”
Review of The Tollgate Inn

The Tollgate Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Holt B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I last visited the Tollgate some five years ago and it was good then. I have recently visited again twice once because it had been booked and was for business, the second time because i enjoyed the first time so much I wanted to go back! The starter of Pigeon Breast is the best I have had accompanied by a delicious black pudding and onion puree. The main of Fillet Steak and beetroot salad with twice cooked chips is divine, well on par with Michelin starred restaurants I have eaten in. The deserts! Where do I start? I am not a fan of deserts, I always have the cheese board! But not here I have to have the deserts they are so good. Seasonal fruit crumble with shortbread topping and spiced custard (I have tried this at home) and Coffee Creme Brule with Espresso Ice cream and shortbread finishes this all perfectly with a unique apple and pear cider called Toodle Pip! not to be missed.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Matt9711

Reviewed 16 March 2013

We visited on a Saturday lunchtime as a late "Mother's Day" meal. It was not particularly busy and our table was indicated to us by a waitress. Having been given menus and our drinks order taken we chose a variety from the "specials" and main menu. Our waitress then came back 5 minutes later to say that we had been given the wrong "specials" list and had to re-order. Whilst I will accept that food cooked to order will take a little longer than something heated in a microwave, it should not take over 3/4 hour to serve ham/egg/chips, fish pie and fish and chips! Even after asking the waitress how much longer it was "oh, not long". The food was fairly average, chips were soggy and too much dill in the fish pie. The waitresses seemed very keen to clear our table even though my son hadn't finished eating. We couldn't be bothered to wait around to have dessert. Another couple in the restaurant also complained about the wait and quality of food whilst we were there. It may have been an "off" day but I'm sorry I won't be returning to find out.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank ClaireTAOS
managertollgate, Manager at The Tollgate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2013

Dear guest,
Naturally it is disappointing to read that on this occasion you did not completely enjoy your stay with us here @ Tollgate. Your constructive comments in relation to these aspects are invaluable to us as we strive to deliver the best possible experience to all of our guests. Although it might not have seemed very busy in our pub/bar area, we did have a rather large lunch party in that day in our restaurant. This is however no excuse as to why the food took its time and we should have made you aware of this.
Please accept our apologies and we hope that you and your family might give us another try in the future.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

We visited the Tollgate for our combined birthday dinner, staying there for one night. The dinner was superb, cooked to order (which did mean a wait between ordering and the arrival of the first course), the service was friendly and attentive, and the bedroom very well appointed, a little quaint although a little small - we had booked rather late and only their smallest double room was left.

Holt is a small quiet village, with a National Trust garden that is well worth visiting (it serves excellent lunches too), and seemed the ideal location for a birthday 'treat'. The Inn has a large car park with a farm shop on one side. The inn appears rather quant and one drawback for some is the outside stairs up to the bedrooms. Inside the bar-restaurant there are a number of areas and we were seated in an upstairs room with a fire. Initial service was prompt but the first course took some time to arrive - our fault as other diners stopped en route in the bar to order and have an initial drink. The staff was friendly and considerate. The food was truly excellent and we certainly felt that we had made the correct birthday choice! A full English breakfast, again cooked to order, completed an enjoyable gastronomic stay.

Although the bedroom was small it was very well appointed - the wardrobe was antique, there was a fireplace in the corner, and a table and chair - although this did make it a little cluttered. The bed was comfortable and the en-suite clean and bright. The walls were nicely decorated. The bowl of fresh fruit was a very nice touch as was the collection of ladies sanitary ware.

We were extremely pleased with our visit - although we went for only one night there is enough in the area to detain a visitor longer, though for more than one night one of the bigger bedrooms would be advisable.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Louis L

Dear guest, thank you very much for your kind comments. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope to greet you again int the near future.

Reviewed 12 March 2013

Recently had lunch with friends at this Inn. The bar and restaurant area are very pleasant and typical for a country pub. There is a large easily accessed car park to the rear and a nice outside area for the warmer weather. The staff were very welcoming and the service was good. The menu has a reasonable selection, the food was tasty and well made. It is not fine dining but a very pleasant lunch and good value for money. We will certainly be returning in the future.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 February 2013

My husband and I stayed for two nights at the Tollgate Inn recently and had a really nice time. On the first night we shared some food, the burger was delicious! The cooked breakfast on both mornings was very good quality and sourced from their farm shop. The room was small but comfortable and I was aware in was a small room when we booked so was expecting that. I liked the little touches such as fresh fruit, biscuits and fresh milk in the mini fridge. Overall a great stay!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank a g
Reviewed 3 February 2013

I have lived in Holt all my life and have had very bad experiences of the Tollgate Inn previously, so I was very wary of going again. As a family we were trying to book a last minute lunch on a Sunday I checked out the menu online and then rang up, they had space to fit us in so I booked it. We didn't expect much so I was very pleasantly surprised when the food came out, it was good portion sizes and delicious. I had the fish and chips, it was cooked to perfection. My Dad had the Beef roast dinner, there was ample and was very complimentary. Overall a fantastic experience, will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lorna E
Reviewed 21 January 2013

My husband and I ordered what was descibed on the menu as "Roast rib of beef cooked medium/rare, with Farmhouse Yorkshire pudding and duck fat roast potatoes." What arrived was three slices of fatty beef smothered in an orange coloured gravy that had jelly-like consistency, two "Aunt Bessies" yorkshire puddings and three "Aunt Bessies" tiny roast potatoes along with a small platter of carrots and other root vegetables. For this they charged £11.95. Although the service was good, we won't be going back.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sarah S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holt
Best Western Leigh Park Hotel
Fieldways Hotel & Health Club
Swan Hotel
Swan Hotel
#5 of 7 in Bradford-on-Avon

Been to The Tollgate Inn? Share your experiences!