“Great views and relaxing.”

Petit St. Vincent Resort
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great views and relaxing.”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

The accommodation is first class. Relaxing well fitted out bungalows with large terraces. The only point I would raise about the cottages is that the lavatory is in the middle of the bathroom with no door!! My husband and I slept the best we have in a long time. This might be because we were not on the Atlantic side where it is very windy with the waves constantly crashing. The breakfast was very disappointing. My fresh fruit platter was not good at all. The melon and pawpaw were not ripe. The fried eggs came practically raw so make sure that you ask for easy over, and the scrambled eggs arrive dry. The lunches were good with fresh fish and the BBQ night had a large selection to choose from, including lots of lobsters. The main dining room the food was slightly miss or hit.

Room service is a little haphazard. Things might or might not turn up and maybe if it does turn up not what you ordered. I have to say that the staff all smiled and were helpful otherwise

Always take a torch with you at night time as the pathways are a little uneven - not ideal for high heels. The beach is OK in places on the Caribbean side but there are a lot of stones and weed in most of the beach areas and the sea has strong currents on the Atlantic side. It is easy to walk around the island and those that like a morning run.

My husband went diving. The dive boat comes from Union Island and it is very basic. No proper canopy, so my husband burnt on his first trip out and there were not proper steps for getting back into the boat, this proved difficult for those who were not exactly athletic.

Room Tip: We had room 16 which is on the Caribbean side. We were told that room 19 is the best as it has its...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
East House
Reviewed 11 March 2014

There are positives about this island, which are largely natural, such as the stunning aquamarine sea, but we were disappointed from the outset. Our previous 4 holidays had been spent at Jumby Bay in Antigua and we thought PSV would be the same concept - castaway private island with a rustic location, but 5 star accommodation and service. The whole island comes across as rather shabby. There is very little planting, just scrubby earth, particularly in front of the beach cottages. They rake a bit of sand around your sunbeds to try and cover the earth and the weeds. We had cottage 7 which was a complimentary "upgrade" to a 2 bedroom cottage. It was dark and gloomy and there were holes in the decking. Everything has been done cheaply, the construction of the shower, bathroom units, furniture etc. The showers are a bit dribbly with little pressure and there are no baths. The "beach" in front of our cottage consisted of black sand and rocks. You couldn't get in to swim anywhere without going onto an adjoining cottage's area of beach. The beach cottages are on the Atlantic side which is generally too rough to swim in anyway. It is a long haul to the Caribbean beach, which is not serviced, and an even longer one to the West End beach. You can't do anything spontaneously because of the flag system as you have to wait for a cart to pass your flag and then a further wait for whatever you have requested so it is easier to just walk there yourself, but it is a long hot walk. Once there we hoisted a flag for water but after 3 hours gave up and went to the beach bar ourselves, another long walk.

The snorkelling is totally unexceptional, much better in Maldives etc.

If you don't take an ipod there is no other option for music as there is only an ipod docking station in your room.

During a 7 night stay your sheets will be changed once. Fine at home, but at this price.........

The island is very poorly lit at night. Beware of being run over by a cart and definitely don't leave your room without your torch. The pathways are rough and uneven. There are about 30 or more steps up to the main restaurant, so if you have any mobility issues you will have to be taken by cart.

The biggest surprise for us was the staff. With a few exceptions, Frankie, Clive and Delroy, most of them were almost ignorant. When I went to settle my bill the lady just said "sign here". No please or thank you or hope you enjoyed your stay. It was a bit like being amongst a bunch of surly teenagers. It's nothing to do with being in the Caribbean - if you go to Jumby Bay the staff are all truly delightful - it comes down to staff training. Apparently the managers were on holiday during our stay. If a resort can sink this quickly in their absence then something's far wrong.

We were amazed at how many repeat guests there were who seemed to truly love the place. We concluded that they must be getting much lower rates than new guests. We wouldn't return even if it were free, but I think it should be classed as 3 star and its prices should be altered to reflect what it offers.

Save your money. Don't go, but if you must cottages 11, 17 and 19 appeared to have the best locations. Oh, and did I mention the cockroaches in the bathroom.............

19 Thank Lauren O
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I was worried that our second visit would not live up to the first, we had high expectations, PSV was even better second time, its the most beautiful tranquil place. Its pretty easy to get too, they arrange seamless transfers through St Lucia or Barbados. The beaches are text book desert island, The cottages are so comfortable, and the service maintaining and cleaning them are a stand out, the team who looked after us were exceptional, really lovely people. The food is great and good variety, the mini moke service is perfect and adds a delightful idiosyncratic feature. The beach bar restaurant is great the waiting team and the beach chefs who work the food are another stand out. The lobsters are the biggest I have ever seen! The more formal restaurant in the evening is not scarily formal again the team there were great and the food is particularly good, excellent quality and an amazing wine list. The boats canoes paddle boards and windsurfing kit are all really good quality. The dock team exceptional. You rarely see other guests but when you do they are friendly and pretty chilled, i chatted to some really great people, but you don't have to interact if you don't feel like it, I think guests tend to be private and stick to themselves and most have been there over many years 25 was most and multiple was the norm. If that isn't a good recommendation I can't think what is. I guess it is not particularly cheap but its 100% value for money worth every single penny. There is no attitude here, just a really great chill out vibe. PSV is the perfect switch off, idyllic, peaceful, wonderful leave your phone ad I pad behind, switch off and I cannot recommend it enough, but I get a sense its getting busier, so book early to avoid disappointment, looking forward to reviewing again next year ….God Willing!

USA
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I have to tell you that after traveling through most of the islands thus far, this place has them all beat completely and without question. I had no idea any accommodations could be so well put together, maintained and perfectly managed. The food here is completely unbelievable at a price that does not match as it is way cheaper than you would expect. Grilled Lobster to cheeseburgers! There is nothing here you wont enjoy.
The rooms and everything under roof is truly spectacular. I love the beach area and crystal blue water. It is so inviting. I wish we could stay. We are island hopping looking for a place to retire and this island certainly has my attention. I hope it is not just because this hotel is nothing short of spectacular.

2 Thank Larry8241
Limassol, Cyprus
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Ive travelled extensively in Asia and the Caribbean and I can honestly say I have never had such a relaxing and wonderful holiday as I did at PSV. My wife and I spent 7 days there with our 7 year old daughter and she didn't use the IPAD once…(my daughter). In fact it is the first holiday where I felt no need to check my office emails. At home I usually am up until 12 even night and awake at 7am. At PSV after a tiring day of swimming, snorkeling and rocking in a hammock I was exhausted by 10. I haven't slept so well since I was a kid. And unlike many resorts we have stayed at the food was fantastic! From burgers to grilled lobster fresh from the sea they have a wide selection of great food. My wife enjoyed the treatments in the Spa and our daughter was swimming like a fish by the time we left - in our room there was book of Reef Fish and our daughter would identify every fish she saw from dimming off the beach daily and there were quite a few! We will go back again for sure as soon as possible!!!

Room Tip: Room on seafront is great - sleep with sound of waves… All Bungalows have amazing views.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Geoffrey M
Lexington, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 February 2014

The setting is so beautiful with aquamarine water surrounding the island and long powder white beaches.We enjoyed the privacy and peacefulness of the West End palapas--private beach "camps" that include a covered hammock, lounge chairs and a small eating table and chairs. The flowers and landscaping are arranged in a way that you have the feeling of being the only people on the beach. PSV is a place to unhook and unwind. If you are looking for nightlife or a lot of provided stimulation, this would not be the place for you. If you are looking for privacy and quiet in an amazingly beautiful setting, I highly recommend PSV.

I have read other reviews about the food not being great, but this was not our experience. Dinner in particular was very good--much better than other high end Caribbean resorts we have been to. My understanding is that they had some issues in working with past chefs, but this seems to be sorted out now as every dinner we had was excellent.

PSV is expensive, but also unique in the Caribbean and to me, absolutely worth experiencing.

2 Thank elfy57
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

It is certainly a beautiful place and the cottages are very spacious and private. Perhaps the usual chef was away during our stay. The service was absolutely shocking - we are very used to Caribbean style but we never received our aperitif before any dinner and frequently had to ask for things two or three times. We were extremely disappointed by the quality of the food. Great lobster from the beach bar but everything else was definitely not five star. We returned three bottles of corked wine and the breakfast coffee was completely undrinkable. There was a coffee machine so we just made our own after day one. The extras were also very expensive.
Yoga was excellent and so was the spa. It is quite rustic but the therapists were first class.
There are lots of things to do but no one discussed any options with us which was a shame.
It is worth noting that there is no pool. Not too much of an issue as the beach is good for swimming unless you like to do lengths.
PSV portrays itself as a super bare foot luxury private island but unfortunately, basis our stay, it still has a long way to go achieve this.

5 Thank jul l
Palm Island Resort & Spa
Palm Island Resort & Spa
#1 of 5 in Union Island
Canouan Estate Villas & Residences

Been to Petit St. Vincent Resort? Share your experiences!