“Rude owner”
Review of Terra Luna

Terra Luna
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Puerto Guadal
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Lovely, clean cabins. Beautiful view. Not very good at answering the phone-I had tried for a couple of weeks to contact about a transfer from the airport. The day before we arrived was my first conversation with Tatiana about a transfer but we decided to hire a car from the airport (recommended). The owner Philippe spoke in a very rude manner to me about the payment for our room. When I told I was not trying to fight, just organise the best way to pay, he dismissed me and said he speaks like that to everyone! Unfortunately for me, this really spoilt my impression of our stay, especially as during out holiday we had been treated with really good Patagonian hospitality in other places nearby. Philippe if you are reading this, please know that I was so surprised at your rudeness as everything else was very nice, but I cannot recommend the Terra Luna lodge for this reason.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Amy2012
terraluna, Propietario at Terra Luna, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Hi Amy2012,

I really thank you for your very nice words about our lodge and infrastructure and glad you had a great stay. We could feel and see it by the way and that's exactly the reason we exist for.
Concerning your personal comment about myself and specially our last conversation, I was quite surprised to read such thing.... and even more on internet (I think there are many other instances to do so). Nevertheless, this is a big misunderstanding. I was not fighting at all!!! Why should I have? I just put a lot of passion in all what I do, and also when I talk ,....Normaly it is very positive and apreciated but I can see you definitively got it the wrong way and I am sorry about that, as it's a pity for everybody and specially for all the local staff who attended you during your stay and depend on future guests .
The best for you,

Philippe

Reviewed 9 April 2014

The lodge has a beautiful deck that looks out on the dark turquoise General Carrera Lake, with snow-topped mountains in the distance. The rooms in the lodge are comfortable and handy to the dining area (although sometimes you can hear people in other rooms). The rooms in the cottages are comparable but (obviously) farther away and more private. The staff took pains to meet our dietary requests (I brought my own tofu) and dining was always delightful. The other guests were a mix of very and less athletic, and most people were very approachable. The canopy walk on the site is more like a challenge course, and I really enjoyed it. The hot tub could use a better temperature gauge. The guides who took us from the airport, on walking tours around the lodge on the excursions were excellent. The all-included package of excursions was definitely worth it.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Got a room which was in the 3rd floor of a building. It was a 3 by 3 m room approx which had 2 beds in it for us to share. The beds were too short for me and the pillow was so low I had a sore neck for 3 days after sleeping there. Could not stand up in room properly and to pack my bag I had to stand on the vertical ladder to the room. The trap door to the room had to be opened and closed to go toilet at night and it was cold at night with no heating and limited sheets. The view from restruant was nice and boat trip was good but I dont know how you can seriously put people in this room. I am sure the owner will put some spin to defend this joke of a room which was worst of the trip but if he is so clever spend 2 nights in there and see how u feel.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Sabretoothed
terraluna, Propietario at Terra Luna, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

decided to take what was available and use the available appartment and bungalow for 4-5 people each trying to solve the group lodging problem. We just respect their decision and follow their booking request. But apparently once in Terra Luna, your group did not respect the planified rooming list for that 2 nights as it would not have been necessary to use that kid room.... and less for 2 pers!! (you had in total 10 beds available for 9 persons with a correct use)
I could check what happened: some members of your groups took the 2 DWB rooms of the appartment for a single use and let you and your partner share the kid single room!!! Unbelievable..... I think that your tour leader should have interfered or you could have informed us in the moment so we could have helped you somehow. Once we gave to your group leader the prebooked appartment and bungalow and we have no responsability in how you distribute the different rooms and less if group rooming list is not respected..It is always sad and totally useless when we get informed later on internet for a so particular matter in circunstances it's much easier and much more efficient to know it and solve it in situ. It's your holidays and comodity we are talking about, not ours. I 'm really sorry you payed the consecuences of your partners absolute no sence of comprension and solidarity. As a tip for the future, COMMUNICATE on time, we are here to make everbody stay pleasurable, and try to avoid to travel in january, february (South American holidays). This region is best to be visited in Spring and Autumn for many many more reasons many people ignore. Hope we can meet again in other circunstances. Best regards.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

We kept a foreign exchange student from Chile in 1999/2000 and finally were able to spend 2 weeks with her and her family in Coyhaique. They arranged this trip. Of all the unbelievable excursions we did while in Chile, this one was the bell ringer! First, the lodging at Terra Luna on the shores of breathtaking Lake General Carrera provides unbeatable views of the snow covered Andes framing the Caribbean colored clear waters of the lake. We stayed 2 nights in well built, totally wooden cabins with comfortable beds and heated by efficient wood stoves. Sure the hot tub/spa appeared to not be functional, but all we wanted to do anyway was sit on our porch and stare at the lake. We had 2 dinners there. This is an isolated place so they serve a set menu - yet the quality was high, the staff was always smiling and we got to meet the owner Philippe and his daughter.
The trip to the glacier was a lifetime highlight. We all boarded a jet boat and crossed Lake Carrera, then traveled against the rushing Leonas River headed toward Leonas glacier. What an unique experience. After about 90 minutes in the boat, we secured with a winch to the shore line and hiked for 45 minutes on their private trail to a tranquil glacier lake. There, they had a 12 passenger zodiac and we traveled across the lake to the base of a glacier. Out host Dad gathered glacier ice fro the crystal clear waters and we toasted with whiskey to a wonderful life. After lunch and pictures beside the glacier base we asked if we could walk on the glacier. After assessing the physical endurance of our group, Philippe had us reboard the zodiac and we motored to a hillside beside the glacier. Over the next hour + he lead, encouraged and urged us all up a very steep mountain side through forrest and small boulders until we were able to walk out on a level section of the glacier! Unforgettable! I hope the images of the glacier, the glacier lake and the surrounding mountains with numerous waterfalls never leaves my memory. We then retraced our journey home only to have a huge Condor fly directly over us as we started to get off the zodiac. Yes, this place may be all about the excursions, but thats okay because this particular excursion was priceless.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Clay R
Reviewed 17 January 2014

The best option in Puerto Guardal - probably the only one! While it is certainly not cheap anymore, the view was spectacular, and the wooden quadruples definitely very nice. It's quite in the middle of nowhere, close to Puerto Guardal but still a bit of a walk. At night they offer a set menu which we did not want to take at first, but then after checking out the options in town, we soon returned to Terra Luna for dinner as well :-). Overall a lovely place on the shores of Lago General Carrera with a spectacular view across the lake!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Many aspects were terribly wanting, though the weather didn't help. While many rooms had their fires lit, mine did not and it was freezing. It was incredibly muddy everywhere. The food was terribly poor. But this is a spectacular part of the world.
To summarise, come in summer, maybe. Don't come in winter.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
terraluna, Propietario at Terra Luna, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2014

Thank you for your comment. I am sorry you had this bad weather and "cold" experience but I can not explain one thing.... As you said all our cabin have a fire stove inside, this this except our Conejera and Cueva "camp huts" (like a "mobile home") that we normaly only use in summer when occupancy is high. So I can not understand why you stayed in one one these in september (no space? price motivation?). Once again it is important to clarify things to inform correctly the future travellers as we receive passengers all year round in our wood heated bungalows, appartments, rooms,.etc... but not in the camp huts (camp = summer use). Hope you can come back to apreciate the place with good weather and sleeping in the right accomodation.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

The hotel is in a great location with spectacular views. Unfortunately, the focus appears to be on the trips and activities. Our room was rather tired and not very clean, and we had the worst meal of our 3 week Patagonian trip.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aliz2628

Your comment which sound a bit strange to me. We think that being focused on excursions and activities in such a beautiful place with so much to visit, is rather a quality than a problem. And it's a pity you can not apreciate it as that is exactlty TERRA LUNA's "plus". In our lodge, you'll never get bored as we have so much to offer.
Concerning the food I am really surprised as this is totally unusual and contrary to all other comments (even when negative!). Maybe the fact that we offer a fixed menu can explain that you had that day something that you didn't like. But even if that were the reason, we are always open to cook something special in case of vegetarians, allergic people, or problem with the daily menu. It's a real pity you did not mention it on time. I really insist on the fact that it's important and more usefull to inform staff in situ so we can react to satisfy your needs! Much more effective than to publish on internet once you're gone!. Thank you for choosing us and hope we can change your opinion one of these day.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Guadal
#3 of 6 in Puerto Rio Tranquilo
Parador Austral Lodge
Parador Austral Lodge
#1 of 1 in Puerto El Miten

Been to Terra Luna? Share your experiences!