1,732 results
All reviewsbutler servicewalk in closetla vedutazen gardenbutler boxgrand deluxe roompersonal butlerspg platinumwelcome drinkbeautiful hotelthe ritz carltoncorner roomturn down servicefloor to ceiling windowsfavorite hotelmini barjapanese hospitality
Reviewed 15 January 2018

This was my second stay at this hotel. Location is prefect, right above the Hommachi station (which is only 2 stops away from Namba station) so it's a quite neighborhood but only 2 stops away from all the action. The Lobby is great, comfortable with classic art-deco design. The room is huge for Japan standard with contemporary art-deco design, soft linen bed, walk in closet, the usual st.regis butler, nespresso coffee machine, etc. Breakfast is very good, lots of choice (some are quite artisanal). The only complaint that I have is the lack of bath soap and shampoo. They only gave 1of each everyday. I know you can always ask the butler to bring you more, but it would be better if they provide more once realized that after a couple of days we kept asking for more soap. Other than that minor thing everything else is perfect and will definitely come back.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 January 2018 via mobile

The St Regis is definitely a nice property and in a good location but given the price, I think they need to focus on the service and experience more. We stayed 7 nights - had breakfast each day which was a highlight! The room was nothing special - it was small though I did like the bathroom and pressure in the shower was very good!

My real concern was the service - it was nowhere near what I would expect from a hotel of this class. I felt as though the management may not have a strong focus on service. Staff using the lifts for baggage, a long wait at check in and out and the concierge really seemed distracted each time we asked for help. I also used the gym which was in bad shape and once I went and there was no water ... that is simply unacceptable for a hotel of this class and means nobody had checked for at least 25 hours. The Butler service did not exist!

This is a nice hotel but not worth the money without improvements.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
St.RegisOsaka, Front Office Manager at The St. Regis Osaka, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2018

Dear BalancedCritic2014

Thank you so much for staying at The St. Regis Osaka as well as taking your precious time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Please accept our sincere apologies for not being able to provide you a satisfactory experience.

There is no excuse for all unpleasant incident you had to encounter, especially the check-in experience, concierge service experience and also not introducing our signature butler service upon your arrival. We have shared your comments with relevant team to seek for immediate improvements and ensure to conduct necessary training not to happen the same thing again.

We are grateful for your valuable feedback, and we sincerely hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The St. Regis Osaka again.

Reviewed 6 January 2018

This is the one St. Regis in Japan. My partner was tempted for a moment to compare it to the Peninsula Tokyo.

To my mind, the St.Regis Osaka was like a slightly "common-man-ish" re-interpretation of the more "aristocratic" Ritz-Carlton Osaka. I also felt the hotel might benefit from re-connecting its identity with its unique vicinity.

The hotel's stately-home main entrance is located in an unassuming back street with a common, local flavour. The hotel's official focus is, however, on the road behind the hotel building, the "tree-lined Midosuji Avenue, Osaka’s Champs-Elysées".

A few steps from the hotel's main entrance down the small back street is a large overhead bill-board marking the northern end of the Shin-sai-bashi covered walk-way shopping street.

This northern end is sometimes referred to as the shopping street's "boring" part. We think of it as the more local part, where we spent an entire afternoon at the 5-storey Shimojima stationery store.

We then covered at fast pace the more "exciting" part, joined the crowds at Dotonbori for street snacks, and at the southern end of the shopping street took the subway train from Namba station to Honmachi station (Midosuji line, 2 stops) to return to the hotel for dinner.

Exit 7 of Honmachi station led (2 levels up) to ground level at the back of the hotel. On departure from the hotel, we took a train here to Umeda subway station (Midosuji line, 2 stops), which was connected to JR Osaka station. (When we came to the hotel, the taxi trip from the Grand Front at Osaka station cost 1,320 yen.)

Honmachi was a very small, quiet station when compared to Namba. Several times before, we stayed above the much more lively Namba station, and "going home" after an exhaustive afternoon of shopping often meant repeated "interruptions" to see street music perfomances, and to do more shopping. Also, the wide variety of dining options at the Namba area made hotel dining practically unattractive.

At the St. Regis, we had a cozy (rather than spacious) room with the window facing South. The Shin-sai-bashi covered walk-way's roof was right below our room window, and seeing the roof-cover extending into the distance was a highlight of the stay. Another enjoyable feature of the South-facing room was the warm sun coming in.

Within the hotel, I noticed some logistics issues connected to check-in / check-out.

Before check-in, we waited for over 20 minutes in crowded space. The dozen or so other people who arrived before us and waiting to check in had obviously unhappy looks on their faces.

We were the final party in that crowd, and I was glad. I would not have liked to be surrounded by unhappy faces when going through check-in. (Also, once on our way out, we had to squeeze past some 20 unhappy looking faces crowded around the reception desks waiting to check in.)

Hospitality training 101 would have suggested putting some of these people in the Bar (round the corner from the reception desks) to keep them busy waiting for and/or consuming welcome drinks & snacks.

Checking us in included printing a receipt for the full payment I already made for the stay. Handing me the receipt, the young woman asked me for our exact check-out time. I was unable to tell her, and she looked disappointed.

She then said "Let us make 12 o'clock the latest check-out time". She also told me there would be a charge after that. (Yes, madam!)

Her promise was kept by the hotel: At check-out, I got a hotel Information Invoice showing the departure time was 12:00, although the credit card receipt showed the actual check-out time of 10:51am.

Perhaps the hotel does not need accurate operational information for planning its logistics. Nor does it plan to sell such information to the Big Data people, who are often willing to pay high prices for such operational data.

In the room, we experienced some cleanliness issues. I informed hotel management about them. Hotel management seemed genuinely committed to improving on these issue. Another stay at the hotel in future might help satisfy my curiosity about the outcome of their improvement efforts.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
St.RegisOsaka, Manager at The St. Regis Osaka, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2018

Dear Terlo,

Thank you very much for staying at The St Regis Osaka as well as taking your precious time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the disappointment due to not being able to provide you a smooth and comfortable arrival experience.
We have shared your feedback with relevant team to seek for improvement .

As you mentioned, we are in the walking distance from the main downtown area called Dotonbori, and we have a direct access to the Hommachi subway station, so the access to Umeda and /or Namba is quite easy.

We are grateful for your valuable feedback, and we hope to have another opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

There is no doubt that the property is grand, beautiful and that the windows in the rooms frame the expansive views of Osaka beautifully. The hotel had me feeling like I was in Manhattan at times.

However, service lets this hotel down and I see in the reviews that we are not the first to say so, which makes one wonder why the hotel has not attended to the problems. Check-in is uncomfortable and felt rushed. The supposed butler service is non-existent, on the contrary trying to communicate with the “butler service button” on the phone was difficult and I wish someone had told us about the complimentary clothes pressing service.

It’s a real pity, we had high hopes for this hotel, but were left very disappointed. At this price point your choices are wide, and I can’t help and feel our money would have been better spent elsewhere.

Stayed: January 2018
1  Thank RossLevin
St.RegisOsaka, Manager at The St. Regis Osaka, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2018

Dear RossLevin,

There is no excuse for all unpleasant incident you had to encounter, especially the check-in experience and also not introducing our signature butler service upon your arrival. We have shared your comments with relevant team to seek for immediate improvements and ensure to conduct necessary training not to happen the same thing again.

Reviewed 2 January 2018

General: We stayed here for one night at the end of our trip to Osaka. Had we not stayed at the Conrad Osaka earlier in our trip (we went to Koyasan in between), this would’ve been a top hotel. The staff member checking us in even commented “well that one is new!” which we thought was weird. They must have heard similar comments before. That being said, it was still a very nice hotel, and if you are loyal to the Starwood chain then you will very much enjoy it. Otherwise, book the Conrad.

Room: We were upgraded to a Grand Deluxe room. It was well appointed, but quite a bit smaller and more dated feeling than our hotel room across town. Definitely still a 5-star hotel room, just not as nice. Be aware, the shower is roughly the same pressure as a fire hose. You’ve been warned.

Amenities: The good news, they have a breakfast. We did not get to try it. Instead, we mentioned to the check-in staff that we had an early train back to Tokyo the next day and they arranged for some sandwiches and juice to be at check-out the next day. It was very nice and quite a delicious train snack.
The bad news, there is no lounge. Instead they give you a $30 voucher for the minibar which, at standard minibar prices, was enough for a small Japanese whiskey and a diet Coke. For us, this was a negative.
We did visit the bar in the lobby for their signature Bloody Mary made with wasabi (we got a coupon at check-in). It was excellent, and the prices were in-line with most hotel bars.

Staff: As expected, the staff was fantastic. Other than the previously described interaction with the check-in staff, nothing was particularly memorable due to our short stay. But everyone was generally nice and friendly.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple