“A monument!”

Ranked #3 of 105 Coffee & Tea in Ginza
Neighbourhood: Tokyo Station / Ginza / Nihonbashi
Neighbourhood: Tokyo Station / Ginza / Nihonbashi
Reviewed 23 April 2017

Café De l'Ambre is an institution in Ginza. Its founder, Ichiro Sekiguchi, with almost a hundred years is still in the café daily. It is his son, however, who leads the house. They only serve coffee - the best quality coffee. The "house" coffee is a blend of grains from various origins and extracted with incredible care. The result of the long extraction is an extremely tasty coffee, served in very fine porcelain cups. Really, it is a place that lovers of good coffee can not fail to visit. Absolutely a must see!

Date of visit: April 2017

Reviewed 23 April 2017 via mobile

Fantastic coffee place with an acute attention to detail. This is not your place for your morning heart starter (it only opens at midday) but the theatre of the coffee was fabulous. Add a shot of cognac for a nice afternoon coffee. All drip coffee, no espresso.

Date of visit: April 2017
1  Thank JulesSi
Reviewed 27 March 2017 via mobile

Now I'm European and I've been sipping coffee since I was born so really hard to tell whether it is the best coffee I've ever had but definitely top 5. The atmosphere reminds me of old French bar, almost like a nice speak easy transformed into coffee shop. The staff is welcoming, had a great time talking with the lady Hayashi san and the boys too.

If you are in Ginza don't go to Starbucks or Doutor, try this place they prepare coffee the old traditional way!

Will be back every Sundays.

Date of visit: March 2017
2  Thank audeahk
Reviewed 3 March 2017

I was determined to make it to Cafe de L'Ambre during my stay in Tokyo, and I am oh so glad I did. Having tried 2 coffees late this afternoon (one from 2004, the other from 2002), there is a chance that sleep may not come easy. But it was worth it.

The coffees were luscious, the staff friendly and meticulous, and the ambience of the place just draws you in. I could have stayed for hours.

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed 14 February 2017

Imagine if a coffee shop was actually just about the coffee...this spot, which has been here since 1948 is about coffee and only coffee. There are only 20 seats and regulars would came in constantly for a small, strong cup of joe crafted by hand from what I can only describe as coffee artisans. Beans are measured out per cup, grand and then steeped manually into beautiful, smooth cups of black elegance. Nothing fancy here, just great coffee. Note, a cup runs $7 - 10 each but its worth it if you love the flavor.

Date of visit: February 2017