“Tourist Trap”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Akasaka / Roppongi
Description: Gonpachi Nishi-Azabu, on the corner of Nishi-Azabu Crossing, is located just 10 minutes from Tokyo Metro Roppongi, Nogizaka, and Hiroo stations are open until 3 am. Known for being the location of former-US President Bush and former-Prime Minister Koizumi’s Izakaya Summit, and even more famously known for its scene in Quentin Tarantino’s 2004 film Kill Bill, Gonpachi Nishi-Azabu’s nostalgic atmosphere brings you back to a Japan of a bygone era. To this day, Gonpachi’s fresh soba noodles, grilled skewers, tempura, and more are popular amongst both Japanese and foreign customers alike. We use carefully selected, regionally-sourced ingredients in everything from the fresh buckwheat that our chefs grind into a flour and use to make our famous homemade soba noodles to our tempura fried to crispy perfection. Whether for lunch or dinner, a date or any special occasion, if you live in Tokyo or are just passing through, we offer an unparalleled Japanese dining experience.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was excited to try this place because Kill Bill is my favorite movie. I reserved a table a month in advance. I was told that you needed to be there right at your designated time slot, but when I went to check in still had to wait 10 minutes for a table. The atmosphere was not what I was expecting. There was music from western artists, it was very loud, and I could barely hear anything over the music. I would give the food a higher rating if I did not get food poisoning. I and two other friends had the same thing, and all got food poisoning. I would not recommend.

Date of visit: April 2024

Reviewed 3 March 2024 via mobile

I only came here as there wasn’t much else open at midnight on Sunday night (got in late from Narita). I kept my expectations low after all the poor reviews, but still, was very disappointed. Ordered a bunch of skewers - meatball was undercooked, chicken skin undercooked/extremely chewy, beef tongue so tough it was impossible to eat it. How do you get simple yakitori so wrong?

I first came here in 2009 and then a few times again on my subsequent trips to Tokyo - I remember food was really good back then!

But now the food is so bad that you shouldn’t waste your time - there’s so much else to explore in Tokyo…

Date of visit: March 2024
Reviewed 19 February 2024

Oh how I wish I had taken seriously the reviews that said the food was horrible. it was HORRIBLE. Avoid this. People say tourist trap and I was thinking this place has a thousand reviews and overall is decently rated - wow was that wrong. Go anywhere else to have a better experience with food that won't make you sick. The tuna tartare was brown. BROWN. Disgusting.

Date of visit: February 2024
1  Thank Lexi E
Reviewed 13 February 2024

Gonpachi Nishiazabu offers a quintessential Japanese dining experience with a modern twist. Located in the vibrant Nishiazabu district of Tokyo, this renowned izakaya captures the essence of Japanese culture and cuisine.

The restaurant's rustic yet stylish interior features traditional wooden furnishings and paper lanterns, creating a cozy and inviting atmosphere. Guests can choose to dine at the lively bar counter or in private tatami rooms for a more intimate experience.

The menu at Gonpachi Nishiazabu showcases a wide range of Japanese dishes, from sushi and sashimi to tempura and grilled skewers. Each dish is expertly prepared with fresh, locally sourced ingredients, ensuring a delightful culinary journey for diners.

One of the highlights of the restaurant is its extensive drink selection, which includes a variety of sake, shochu, and Japanese whiskey, perfect for pairing with the flavorful dishes.

Whether you're looking for a casual meal with friends or a special night out, Gonpachi Nishiazabu offers an authentic and memorable dining experience that celebrates the best of Japanese cuisine and hospitality.

Date of visit: December 2023
Reviewed 18 January 2024 via mobile

Good for tourist, nice environment.
Food is good enough, but you mainly go there for the friendly and noce looking environment

Date of visit: January 2024