“Just terrible 😡”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Bar
Good for: Groups, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Akasaka / Roppongi
Description: Gonpachi Nishi-Azabu, on the corner of Nishi-Azabu Crossing, is located just 10 minutes from Tokyo Metro Roppongi, Nogizaka, and Hiroo stations are open until 3 am. Known for being the location of former-US President Bush and former-Prime Minister Koizumi’s Izakaya Summit, and even more famously known for its scene in Quentin Tarantino’s 2004 film Kill Bill, Gonpachi Nishi-Azabu’s nostalgic atmosphere brings you back to a Japan of a bygone era. To this day, Gonpachi’s fresh soba noodles, grilled skewers, tempura, and more are popular amongst both Japanese and foreign customers alike. We use carefully selected, regionally-sourced ingredients in everything from the fresh buckwheat that our chefs grind into a flour and use to make our famous homemade soba noodles to our tempura fried to crispy perfection. Whether for lunch or dinner, a date or any special occasion, if you live in Tokyo or are just passing through, we offer an unparalleled Japanese dining experience.
Reviewed 16 May 2024 via mobile

Food terrible !
Waiter terrible !
We Waiting 2 hour for food !
Food never orders
Cocktails good 👍🏽

Never coming back again 😡

Date of visit: May 2024
2  Thank Andy S

Reviewed 22 April 2024

Yes, this is one of those very "touristy" spots. That being said, the food was much better than expected for a "touristy" and gimmicky restaurant. Prices were also very reasonable.

The food is focused on set menus with a mix of different seafood/meats with different cooking methods. A good mix of izakaya style foods.

Date of visit: April 2024
Reviewed 17 April 2024

I was excited to try this place because Kill Bill is my favorite movie. I reserved a table a month in advance. I was told that you needed to be there right at your designated time slot, but when I went to check in still had to wait 10 minutes for a table. The atmosphere was not what I was expecting. There was music from western artists, it was very loud, and I could barely hear anything over the music. I would give the food a higher rating if I did not get food poisoning. I and two other friends had the same thing, and all got food poisoning. I would not recommend.

Date of visit: April 2024
2  Thank Marci V
Reviewed 3 March 2024 via mobile

I only came here as there wasn’t much else open at midnight on Sunday night (got in late from Narita). I kept my expectations low after all the poor reviews, but still, was very disappointed. Ordered a bunch of skewers - meatball was undercooked, chicken skin undercooked/extremely chewy, beef tongue so tough it was impossible to eat it. How do you get simple yakitori so wrong?

I first came here in 2009 and then a few times again on my subsequent trips to Tokyo - I remember food was really good back then!

But now the food is so bad that you shouldn’t waste your time - there’s so much else to explore in Tokyo…

Date of visit: March 2024
2  Thank Lifou T
Reviewed 19 February 2024

Oh how I wish I had taken seriously the reviews that said the food was horrible. it was HORRIBLE. Avoid this. People say tourist trap and I was thinking this place has a thousand reviews and overall is decently rated - wow was that wrong. Go anywhere else to have a better experience with food that won't make you sick. The tuna tartare was brown. BROWN. Disgusting.

Date of visit: February 2024