“Disappointing - average with lots of fat and little meat”

Katsukura Shinjuku Takashimaya
Ranked #1 of 369 Restaurants in Sendagaya
Price range: US$9 - US$27
Cuisines: Japanese
Neighbourhood: Shibuya / Aoyama / Ebisu / Meguro
Description: We serve Fried pork cutlet,as a healthy dish, using carefully selected ingredients. Set menu includes all-you-can-eat"sliced cabbage, miso soup, rice, and pickles".
Reviewed 1 October 2014

This was our first meal upon landing in Japan, as I had heard the hype and wanted to check it out. It was a fairly good flavour, but very simple and a lot of fat on the meat, so you get fairly little meat if you don’t eat the fat. Grinding your own paste was fun, and it was an enjoyable experience but I think I tried far better tonkatsu, particularly the layered variety at kimukatsu/genkatsu which was out of this world. Katsukura was good in an average way, nothing I would head out of my way for, disappointing considering the hype around the place.

Date of visit: September 2014
Write a reviewReviews (387)

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I found their tonkatsu pork meat had too much fat and they cost much more than their competitor in 13F (one floor down). In my last trip I tried Katsukura (14F) and Tonkatsu Inaba Wako (13F), I ended up going to Tonkatsu Inaba two more times after that. Tonkatsu Inaba in my opinion is much better and for cheaper price too. The bonus at Inaba Wako you get their excellent pork soup instead of the regular miso soup at Katsukura.
Now that I am back in Canada, I intend to look for same quality tonkatsu in Toronto, and hopefully will be able to find one locally.

Date of visit: May 2014
1  Thank ANoto-Traveller
Reviewed 30 April 2014

There are 3 tonkatsu restaurants in Takashimaya and this is hands down the best one.

The waiters were kind and friendly.

The tonkatsu was not greasy at all. The pork was juicy, the croquette was a bit bland for my taste.

Free refill on cabbage and rice.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Katsukura is located inside Takashimaya Shinjuku on the 14th floor. They did have accommodating staff and explained the different cuts of the pork. Since we read about this restaurant from Lady Iron Chef's blog, we thought it best to taste their tonkatsu. We tried 2 different kinds of pork, the kurobota (which was the "wagyu" type of pork loin) and the ordinary pork cutlet. The verdict: the kurobota was a bit tough and had more fat than the ordinary pork cutlet. Given the big price difference, you're better off with the ordinary pork cutlet. It wasn't as tender as how it was "blogged" about but, then again, it was good to try it out for ourselves.

2  Thank RPGT
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Katsukura is on the 14th floor of the Takashimaya department store. They have an English menu, but the waiters speak limited English. The restaurant specializes in tonkatsu (fried pork cutlets). They serve great sides with the pork, pickled veggies, rice, and a variety of sauces. This was our first meal upon arrival in Tokyo and it was a great way to kick off our vacation.