“Top notch food and great atmosphere!”
Review of The Boot Inn

The Boot Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Calstock
Price range: US$4 - US$20
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Cosy, warm and welcoming would describe the ambience. Warm log fires and the friendly attitudes of both the family and members of staff.
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Large groups beware, best to order in advance as this amazing gem adds the resonance touch and then some, so you might have to wait a bit for your food but it is well worth it! The fish is locally sourced and if you have a dog don't be surprised if they get a gourmet meal as wel! Cozy fire place and lovely outdoor space, great conversationalists the owners are, for a pub that has been around just two years it really feels lived in and cosy!

3  Thank amanda r

Reviewed 23 August 2014

What a disappointment! Booked by phone just 20 mins before the required time, but on arrival a rather strange 'welcome' from the reception as my booking could not be found. After some considerable time looking through the book, we were told "we should be able to fit you in" & shown to a table for 2 in a half empty restaurant. Very limited menu. My companion chose a chicken breast with chips & salad. (£11.95) There was a great deal of salad, the breaded chicken was tired & the chips were more like a few wedges. My choice was the duck with saute potatoes, asparagus and plum sauce. What arrived was 2 small pieces of duck (albeit tender), in the centre of a dish of what was no more than a plateful of gravy flavoured with plum. There were approx 7 small pieces of potato, 2 asparagus tips + bits of french bean, chopped baby sweetcorn a few pieces of chopped carrot and all for £15.95. I should have pointed out that this did not fit the description, but the 2 staff on duty (who were not at all smartly dressed) did not seem as though a complaint would be taken seriously.
It was clear that other diners who were a family of 4, were not at all happy with a bill of over £100 for what was very poor value for money. A large glass of standard Pino Grigio was £5.75 ~ compared with the price at a nearby & very busy pub for a fair £4.40.
I live locally, have not been here before & certainly would not visit again. It seems to me that this is an establishment that is trying to serve 'Haute Cuisine' food, but don't know how to. All I ask for is a good meal with good service and value for money. I'm just sorry I didn't visit the place nearby on that night. I wanted to give my companion a special treat, she is talking about the "Duck Soup" I was served up. I'm just sorry I didn't take a photo. We both felt we were ripped off.

4  Thank Linda E
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Just a lunchtime meal right at the end of opening time. The landlord and landlady waited cheerfully while we completed our meal. Beautifully cooked fish and appropriate vegetables, all with spot on seasoning. We would return any time to try other menu items.

4  Thank Richard B
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Went with friends for Sunday lunch, the food was absolutely lovely, one of us had beef and they asked how we would like it cooked! The service was great, attentive, checking that we were happy, will definitely be going back.

2  Thank Ollie P
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Whilst staying in Calstock with friends we had a couple of meals at The Boot Inn. On both occasions the food was excellent . During the course of our first visit we were made to feel very welcome by Kim, Sean and their boys. Food was the main topic of conversation and we were tempted to book our second visit with a promise of lobster and oysters. I've only tried oysters once ,and wasn't impressed but Sean convinced me that it might be worth trying them again. Later that week we tried oysters rockafella as an appetiser-beautiful! On Friday 20th we were served the best food we have ever eaten. Lobster thermador , accompanied by a side dish of mussels in cream and white wine, perfect asparagus and tomatoes, new potatoes. This pub has great beer, great food and a lovely atmosphere, we love it.

2  Thank JandR55