Hotel Laxnes
Hotel Island(Reykjavik)(Great Value!)
US$205
US$134
Orbitz.com
City Park Hotel(Reykjavik)(Great Value!)
US$178
US$162
US$224
Agoda.com
1,124 results
All reviewsnorthern lightshot tubgolden circleporridgethe busthe hotel managermountain viewlaxnes horse farmlamb soupblue lagoonpetrol stationwaffle machinelocal amenitiessouth coasthired a cargreat bakeryminute drive
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I stayed at Hotel Laxnes for four nights at the end of January 2012. Although the weather was terrible, the staff were really helpful and did their best to make sure we made the most out of trip to Iceland. Our room was cosy and warm and had a lovely view of the mountains. Self service breakfast was fine.

A big snow downfall during the night previous to our departure meant we were delayed by several hours, and meant I had to arrange a last minute airport transfer to the hotel whilst awaiting for our delayed flight at Gatwick airport. Hotel Laxnes answered my emails really quickly and arranged a pick up without a problem, and then gave us a warm welcome.

The only thing to be aware of is that Hotel Laxnes is a bus trip away from Reykjavik. This wasn't an issue for us, and the tours we arranged were happy to pick us up from Hotel Laxnes, and it was nice having a view of the mountains. It did mean that there were limited options for restaurants compared to downtown Reykjavik. We went to the nearby recommended restaurant, and also could have saved some money by using our room's cooking facilities - so wasn't a problem for us.

Prior to going to Iceland, we had arranged several daytrips independently. In retrospect, this could have been done just in Iceland through the hotel, and then taken into account the weather. Although the tours we had arranged and went on (Snaefellsnes and Golden Circle) were amazing. We had hoped to see the Northern Lights during our stay in Iceland, and the staff made sure we were advised each day whether there would be trips to try and see them so could easily arrange one with them when a trip did take place. Although we didn't really see them unfortunately!

Definitely hope to go back to Iceland again and Hotel Laxnes!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rachel E
Reviewed 1 February 2012

My friend and I stayed at Hotel Laxnes for 3 nights at the end of January: we had dreadful weather unfortunately but really enjoyed our stay in Mosfellsbaer/Reykjavik. Staff and especially Shaun were so friendly and helpful; they couldn't do enough to help us. The hotel was clean and modern, and we were given a suite with a balcony for our last two nights. Breakfast was adequate. We would definitely go back though it will take a while to get over our disappointment at missing the Northern Lights yet again!

Room Tip: Try to get a balcony looking out towards the mountain...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 January 2012

We stayed at the Laxness in December and absolutely loved our time there. I had mailed the hotel prior to arrival to request a room with a view of the mountains and within 5 minutes of sending the email had received a reply confirming the request and asking if they could do anything else. They sent details of how to book an airport transfer and explained if we gave them 24 hours notice would arrange a return one should we require it. Shaun was wonderful, he can arrange anything you want and genuinely seems pleased to be asked to do so.

As the hotel is out of the main lights of Rekyjavik we were able to view the Northern Lights from our own bedroom. The room was huge (photos posted) the bed comfortable and the views stunning. Room 14 would certainly be one I would request again. On our first night I was falling asleep when my husband woke me to tell me the Aurora had come out to play right infront of our bedroom. We were up, out and sorting a camera within minutes, all from the comfort of our own balcony!

The rooms all have free wifi so if like me, you like to irritate people back home via facebook and upload some fabulous photos then there is no issue doing so here. The hotel has a well stocked bar but if you like a drink you may want to take your own, we ordered cokes and mixed them back in the room as a small coke sized can of beer was roughly £8.... dont even think about ordering a bottle of wine, there's no change from £25 for something that would cost £4 in tesco. Even Supermarket prices :( As we found, if youre not on a evening tour, the rooms are so comfortable you can spend hours watching the skies from warm comfortable surroundings and chatting into the early hours.

Things not to miss:
The Golden Circle tour, we used Icelandic tours and were pleased with the service and knowledge. They picked us up right from the hotel despite not being in Reykjavic. Shaun can arrange anything for you, even last minute. Just ask, he'll be pleased to help.
Blue Lagoon : bonkers as a concept, the lifeguards are in snowsuits and you're in a swimsuit...mental, just do it, it's a fabulous experience
The tap water :) its like having mineral water on draught...seriously!
Eating fresh fish, the Alafoss bistro is fantastic and you get 10% off if you take a hotel card.
The Bakari up the road, you need a coffee and a pastry there.
The Northern Lights tour : or just get a room with a mountain view and stay here!
A camera tripod, you wont get photos without one, you need about a 30 - 40 second exposure on the camera. Google Ken Rockwell, we did and his site is for total beginners, tells you how to set the camera and what you need to make it happen.
An increased credit card limit, Iceland is more expensive than Venice!

This was a wonderful break and we cant wait to return, will we stay at the Laxness again? You bet we will! This time we'll bring a good bottle of wine and the same duty free alcohol again, a nip of rum in a coffee at 2am standing in a national park car park looking at the sky made the pain of frozen body parts much more tolerable :)

Room Tip: If you want to keep costs down, ask for a room with cooking facilities, there are 2 good supermarkets across the road. Rooms with a balcony and mountain view are fantastic for watching for the Northern lights, We ahd room 14.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
11  Thank litldevil
Reviewed 29 January 2012

We stayed here the week of the 22nd jan 12

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay, the staff were very friendly and welcoming.

Excellent views, even in the snow! We were lucky enough to see the northern lights on the first night from the hotel grounds, stunning!!!

Rooms were clean and basic but had everything extra you needed from reception.
Breakfast, meals and drinks were all good.
Excellent use of the pool table and big screen TV in the tavern.

Would defiantly recommend, only 10 mins drive to Reykjavik, we will be staying here again on our next visit to Iceland

Thanks!

Layla and Jason Barber

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank layla_Barber
Reviewed 27 January 2012

We came to Iceland to celebrate my sons 18th birthday and decided on Hotel Laxnes partly due to price and previous reviews here on TripAdvisor. My only concern was the distance from Reykjavik and how we would get around in Iceland because I don't drive.

We booked an airport transfer via IGTours which cost £15 each way per person and took around 50 minutes door to door.

We were given a warm welcome by Shaun (hotel manager) who showed us around the hotel and was a constant source of help, information and a bit of banter!

Hotel Laxnes is small and personal; with good sized rooms and bathrooms. The rooms are warm and scrupulously clean with comfortable beds and good storage space. My only (very small) gripe would be with the pillows which were flat and lumpy.

Breakfast is a small buffet with a limited choice of cereal, bread, cold meat, cheese and a waffle maker. You can also make yourself tea or coffee.

The hotel has a pool table and computer in the reception area (both are free of charge). You can also access free WiFi in the bedrooms.

The hotel is situated on a main road (though it is quiet) with beautiful mountain views on one side and KFC on the other! There are quite a few places in which to eat around the hotel that offer good value for money.

There is a bus stop directly outside the hotel and the bus takes you into Reykjavik for around £2 each way. Although Iceland is a beautiful country Reykjavik itself is nothing to write home about as it's a relatively new city. But there are some lovely restaurants there and I would highly recommend Geysir Bistro & Bar in down town Reykjavik which was excellent.

I would also highly recommend horse riding. We booked with Laxnes Horse Farm and had intended to spend the whole day riding, but because of the heavy snowfall we were restricted to half a day - which has given us some of the best memories ever! Both my son and I were novice horse riders but we felt safe and really enjoyed the whole experience. The owners are welcoming and full riding gear is provided. We were picked up from our hotel and kindly dropped off in Reykjavik afterwards.

In Reykjavik we walked from down town to The Pearl - which took roughly around 40 minutes. We visited the Saga Museum inside which was informative, ate lunch and attempted to walk around the viewing deck!

We also did the Golden Circle Tour with IGTours which was interesting and fun. Our guide was amazing as were the sights.

On our last night I went on the Northern Lights Tour and although I did see them they weren't as spectacular as I'd hoped. Though two days after we left they were directly over the hotel!

Would I stay here again? Yes! Would I recommend the hotel to a friend? Yes!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family