“Nice horses and suggestive landscape!” 5 of 5 bubbles

US$110.86*
and up
Icelandic Horse Riding
More attraction details
Owner description: Laxnes Horse Farm is a family run business and the oldest tour operator in Iceland. Founded in 1968, the farm offers horseback riding tours all year round for travelers interested in the gentle Icelandic horse.
Uppsala, Sweden
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Nice horses and suggestive landscape!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Riding the icelandic horses at Laxnes is a great experience - they divide you into groups so it is appropriate for both experienced riders and complete beginners. The trek is really beautiful, with great views over the icelandic landscape and flora.

• Finnish first
Cologne, Germany
“Iceland by horseback”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Thx for that amazing tree-days of horsebak riding (special thank you to Elvira and Sven)! I loved the way you organized everything individually, the food!!!, the tour and of course the hourses! I will definitly come back. See u! Theresa

Kingston, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Can't get over how amazing this was!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Absolutely amazing experience! Family run business with over 100 horses! Trail ride was great! My parents went on a ride w another company and my dad was disappointed - mine was complete opposite! We waked, trotted, and even galloped a little through beautiful purple flowers and streams and up a mountain to a waterfall! Breathtaking pics! Amazing gentle horses! Would do again!!!!!!

Brighton, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing, brilliant day with Floki”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

I was staying in Iceland for four nights with some friends and we managed to pack in a LOT of activities in these few days. Horse riding in the middle of rural Iceland with flowing streams, wild flowers and mountains as a backdrop was my favourite thing we did while staying there.

Firstly, the horse trainer Harkur individually selects the perfect horse for you and your horse riding abilities (I was given a little sweet horse called Floki who was a bit naughty - and trod on my foot - but this only added to his charm). They make sure you have adequate eqipment and clothing on, and then give a little demo about how to make the horse stop, slow down, turn left./right etc. I quite like the fact that the instructions at the beginning are basic, because it makes the experience more fun and relaxed.

I had only ridden once before, and found that the Icelandic horses on the farm were sweet, docile and very friendly. There were two little girls on the trip, one looked about 4 and the other 6 who were riding next to me and they got on very well too, despite being beginners and only little!

If you are thinking about taking part in this experience - DO IT. One to tick off your bucket list :-)

Also just want to add that Harkur and his family are lovely - his sons (I think they're his sons) made sure I was okay when I felt a bit wobbly on my horse and stayed with me at the end although it must have been boring for them! Plus the veggie soup was delicious (make sure you brign money for that).

Last thing, make sure you give Kalli (the dog of the farm) a cuddle before you leave.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank samia b
Helsinki, Finland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

I took the Laxnes Special tour. The staff was really friendly and the pick-up service went smoothly and on time. The surroundings were gorgeous and we actually went to the mountains to ride. The place is near Reykjavik but nonetheless in the middle on nowhere. As I had some previous riding experience and the others in the group had none, I got to ride alone with the guide while the beginners went another route with their guides. Of course, I suppose that during high season something like that rarely happens, but I was really pleased to have the opportunity. The horse I rode was really sweet and well-chosen. I told them that I would rather take a faster horse than a lazy one and the horse I got really was exactly the kind I wanted. I would definitely go again!

1 Thank essie967