“Splendid Wool Emporium”
Review of Alafoss Wool Store

Alafoss Wool Store
More attraction details
Owner description: Alafoss wool store is located in an old factory by the waterfall Alafoss in Alafosskvos, Mosfellsbaer. You will find a wide range of traditional Icelandic wool sweaters, knitting yarn, and other wool accessories. You can also experience this important side of Iceland's industrial history by visiting the factory building which exhibits a selection of old knitting machinery and photographs from the early days.
Uckfield, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Splendid Wool Emporium”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I was very excited to learn of the Alafoss wool mill on the outskirts of Reykjavik and couldn't wait to go there. We caught the bus which stopped about a minute from our hotel and the lovely driver dropped us off a short walk from the mill, with instructions of how to find it. It felt quite adventurous taking the bus and seeing some sights outside of the main tourist areas. The mill has a lovely situation and the store itself was brilliant. We got a very warm welcome on arrival and the staff were very helpful too. There were some discounts on the knitwear but it was the yarn that I was after. I could have spent hours in there as there was so much to see. I bought some gorgeous quality yarn for myself and some for friends. I also bought a few Icelandic trinkets, rude not to.
If you enjoy crafting make sure you visit and keep plenty of space in your luggage you'll be spoilt for choice.

1 Thank Jean B

114 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Nothing special”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We found their collections to be very limited and expensive in their showroom. We still ended up buying 250$ worth of knitwear. When we returned back to US, there was a sale of Icelandic winter clothes in a nearby shop and the same knitwear I bought there was half the price here and in dollars! Save your money!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Holygal
Alafoss, Manager at Alafoss Wool Store, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
We are excited that you got the opportunity to visit Iceland and our store during your stay in July 2013. We value your opinion and thank you for taking the time to review the Alafoss store.

Our main store is located in Mosfellsbær (about 15 min. outside Reykjavík) and as it is a much bigger store, we have a greater selection of product offering there. Our store in Downtown Reykjavík is located in a much smaller space and therefore we try our best to keep the product selection to our best standards and showcase the best selection available at each time, given the limited space we have.

Now I’m not sure which store you visited, but we truly apologize if we were not able to meet your expectations. We take pride in offering traditional Icelandic wool sweaters that are hand knitted in Iceland by local Icelandic knitters. We appreciate your business, and we hope to have another opportunity to meet you again in the future.

We value your feedback and if you would like to share with us how we could improve or if you have any questions, please contact us at alafoss@alafoss.is.

Best regards,
Lara
Cardiff, United Kingdom
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“One of the better places to buy Icelandic knitwear”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Good selection of Icelandic goods at fairly reasonably prices, tinged with the usual slight element of Icelandic madness and including a number of historic knitting machines dotted around the place for good measure. Look for the bargain section at the back which does have some huge reductions but..... not always on something you'd actually want to wear. If you've got time, or you're driving, definitely try here for Icelandic knitwear, speciality yarn, or odd presents for people.

Michigan
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Great deals for knitters”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

An easy bus ride out of town to the "factory outlet" to the Alafoss yarn store (clear directions on their website). The prices of Icelandic yarn are very low and make the trip well worthwhile. Not much else in the area except a small cafe and a knife-maker.

1 Thank David M
Salem, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Classiest of souvenir shops”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I usually steer clear of "souvenir" shops when I travel; they' usually offer "general issue" items that are a waste of money. Not this shop. Its wares were beautifully chosen, often hand-crafted items typical of Iceland -- soaps, tiny elves with hand-knitted clothes, beautiful books of postcards, and of course endless sweaters, mittens, hats and a great selection of wool for knitting. My credit card was JUMPING out of my wallet; I had to forcibly restrain it. And I echo the reviews that mentioned the on-line service; friendly, personal emails accompanied my order of more yarn

Visited March 2014