“Awesome”
other travellers have booked this property
Brekka bathing in the Northern Lights
Shooting Star
Christmas 2014
Two linked lodges, Langholt and Brekka
Photo by Eugene Everson, Oct - Nov 2016
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Peterwigh...
Bath, England, United Kingdom
“Awesome”
Reviewed 18 April 2016 for a stay in April 2016
people found this review helpful

This was our first trip to Iceland - an amazing country, and just so pleased we chose to stay at Brekka. A truly stunning location overlooking the fjord and mountains - the accomodation is of a high quality throughout, with a warm welcome from the owner.

We did a fair amount of driving to see the sights (Golden circle etc), but the best was simply staying at Brekka and taking in the local sights - a walk up to see Gulfoss waterfall was well worth it. Going to the stunning Snaefellness peninsula is also recommended and easily reachable. We were just so lucky with the weather and even returned home with a sun tann!

You will definitely need a car staying at Brekka, but not sure whether a 4WD is really necessary for general travel. If you are also thinking of visiting Iceland I would definitely recommend Brekka (am just so pleased we chose this awesome location and skipped Rejkavik). Enjoy!

How easy was key pickup/access to the property? Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: The views!
Liked least: nothing
Travelling group: Extended Family
Recommended for:
Friends getaway
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Jocelyn L
Oak Lawn, Illinois
“"A Perfect Star-Rating Lodge"”
Reviewed 18 March 2016 for a stay in March 2016
person found this review helpful

If there's such a thing as 100 star-rating, I would definitely give Brekka Lodge that rating. First of all, my colleagues and I would like to extend our utmost gratitude to Mr. Jón Baldur Þorbjörnsson for a warm welcome and for letting us stay at this awesome cabin with such a magnificent view. It absolutely exceeded our expectation. Everything is well-organized and the cabin is well-equipped. Very clean and spacious. Mr. Jón Baldur Þorbjörnsson was very helpful, he provided us with all the indispensable information and instructions on everything. If you are on your quest to capture the earth's most dazzling phenomenon (The Aurora Borealis), I highly recommend to stay at Brekka, definitely the perfect spot. We were so lucky to have witnessed Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) during our stay there, it was indeed a dream come true. If I were to go back to Iceland for another vacation, I wouldn't have any second thoughts to book Brekka again. We can't thank Mr. Jón Baldur Þorbjörnsson enough for his hospitality! We really enjoyed our stay there.

Daniela B
Handforth, United Kingdom
“Brekka is absolutely amazing”
Reviewed 3 March 2016 for a stay in February 2016

Recently I have stayed at Brekka and I don’t know where to start, it was such a lovely holiday! Brekka is absolutely beautiful I keep saying the pictures I saw on-line don’t justify how amazing this place really is. It is very well equipped and all the little details is what impressed me the most. You have the most stunning views all around the house with sunrise and sunset to be seen across the beautiful Fjord! It is just divine to come home after a long day of exploring to chill and relax in the hot tub. Also all the instructions from Jon were brilliant, I never booked a holiday house and felt that welcome and well informed! I will defiantly go back and also check out the other two houses offered by Jon and Anja!

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Jane R
“Amazing country and fantastic place to stay”
Reviewed 24 February 2016 for a stay in February 2016

We loved our brief visit to Iceland and Brekka was the perfect base to explore the local area. it was comfortable and warm and the hot tub in the snow was magical. We were even lucky enough to see the Northern Lights from the deck. Jon was very helpful and we would love to come back and visit again some time. We would definitely stay at Brekka if we came back.

Liked best: The hot tub!
Travelling group: Teenagers
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Klaudiusz...
“Amazing!”
Reviewed 21 December 2015 for a stay in December 2015
person found this review helpful

The cottage is amazing. Its clean, Spacious, well equipped, warm ... the list goes on! if you are travelling in winter I would recommend a 4x4 because the roads can be very hard to drive on near the cottage. JB was a brilliant host, he helped us greatly and warned us about the weather warning. Driving in the evening I would recommend driving the quicker route through the tunnel it costs but saves you time. During the day, deffo take the longer route around the fjord as it is stunning! its only a little detour but worth it! Can easily accommodate 8 people, we were only 3 and didn't really use the upstairs lounge as down stairs was big enough for us. The views are stunning from the lodge I couldn't recommend it any more! Be prepared to drive past the drive a few times but it is literally 2 km after Hotel `Glymur on the left!

Travelling group: Extended Family
Cloe4321
“Amazing place to stay”
Reviewed 16 December 2015 for a stay in December 2015

We have just returned from our first trip to Iceland where we stayed at Brekka for 3 nights. The location is amazing and it was just magical sitting in the hot tub looking up at the northern lights! The lodge is very clean and well maintained and we received lots of helpful information from Jon prior to our visit. We will definately be viaiting again!!

Helen_Nay...
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Fantastic house exceeded expectations!”
Reviewed 27 November 2015 for a stay in November 2015

I stayed in Brekka for a 10 day holiday with my husband and two young children (age 3 and 16 months), to use as a base for some local exploring.

Brekka is approx. 45 minute drive into Reykjavik- driving in Iceland is easy so no problems there. I agree with previous posts that they could do with a better signpost to the lodge as I missed it several times! Driving in the dark on a 90k/hour road does make it difficult to see the signpost which is very small. To help anyone else- it is almost exactly 9km from the junction on the left hand side- if you see a sign for Hotel Glymur you have gone too far! Also, if you choose to go through the tunnel (the quickest route) it will cost 1,000 ISK.

The house its was lovely and warm on arrival with a very nice bottle of sparkling wine waiting for us. The house was clean yet homely, and better equipped than expected- there are lots of kitchen utensils- pots/pans etc. There is also a cafetiere and a coffee maker. There is no bath which was a little problematic as my 16 month old hates showers, but I didn't check specifically beforehand so can't really complain there. I also agree with other posts regarding kitchen storage space- but we managed despite cooking at home every night. The house is child friendly with the exception of the staircase- upstairs is a second lounge area with the TV, and we didn't use this part of the house, so we just blocked access to the stairs with a chair- problem solved.

The hot tub is great- lovely and big and easy to operate. I recommend people bring their flip flops all year round as our feet got quite cold running to it in the snow!

And finally Jon was fantastic as the rental manager- keeping us up to date with important information, plus emailing me to let me know that the Northern Lights were likely to appear (which they did).

Overall we had a fantastic holiday and I have already recommended Brekka to friends. I will definitely return if I come back to Iceland. Thank you!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Scenic location, comfortable, great hot tub
Liked least: Lack of bath, too hot overnight
Travelling group: Young Children
Your age range 35-49
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
Management Response
1 Dec 2015
I agree the signs for our cottage Brekka could be bigger. But we are not the only ones who own a cottage in the area and we don't want to overrun our neighbors with our signs. -apart from the fact, that in Iceland big signs tend to blow away in strong winds... In the description we send to every renter we have a very accurate description on "How to get to Brekka".
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing