“Dreadful Customer Service”

and 1 more site!
Unicorn Inn
Ranked #3 of 5 Deddington B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 August 2011

I booked rooms at the The Unicorn Hotel in Deddington in June 2011, but the hotel double-booked me, and then dumped my booking and left me to sort out the problem.
So, despite booking two rooms for myself and my brother more than two weeks ahead, and receiving online confirmation of my booking, The Unicorn called me the day before our stay and told me that there had been a double booking, that I was the loser. They gave me two other local contacts to phone to try and arrange two rooms myself.

It was a busy weekend in the area around The Unicorn, and I had no luck. I even discovered that The Unicorn had themselves phoned ahead to one of these contacts to book a room for someone else that they had also double booked that weekend.

After being passed around all the B&Bs nearby by people trying to be helpful, I gave up and called Late Rooms Customer Service, who managed to find two rooms for us somewhere else, further away. At least we had the accommodation we needed, but it was at a higher cost.

Initially both Late Rooms and The Unicorn blamed each other for the double booking. I didn’t care whose fault it was – I just knew that the whole situation had caused me a lot of problems, when I had booked in good faith and had my booking confirmed.

Eventually, The Unicorn called me full of apologies and said they would refund the difference in the accommodation costs (£20), and promised a cheque. This has never arrived. I’ve chased them. Late Rooms has chased them. Nothing.

The moral? I know £20 is not much to get upset about. But the hassle and grief I had trying to organize two rooms at very short notice, for an important event when I had a mountain of other stuff to organize was a REAL PAIN.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank D_Maidstone
JohnKnights, Owner at Unicorn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2011

We are terribly sorry of the inconveneince to this customer
This is all about the problems we have had with our booking system which is now resolved. We acknowledge we were partly to blame for this - but not totally.
It is true we offered to pay the £20 but were advised by Laterooms that the client had accepted the apology and that they recommended we did not make any payment. If the customer would like to contact us again we will certainly honour our promise.

Reviewed 23 August 2011

I was really disappointed with my stay at the Unicorn Inn.

Despite being informed breakfast would be included in the (expensive) price, none was served - I popped down three times but everything was locked up, then on my last try when I finally managed to catch the landlady, I was told I had missed the sitting, and that we couldn’t have breakfast as they were preparing for Sunday lunch. We eventually managed to get some toast, albeit very grudgingly. The good ratings for food was one of the reasons we booked our stay there. If there were any problems with the food service, we should have been told this on our checking-in.

Another problem was the lack of availability of staff - in the morning no one was around until very late in the morning. They also failed to give one of our party a key to the front door, so they had to call us to get let in the middle of the night. My room was surprisingly shabby given the price.

Plus points - the pub downstairs is really nice. Definitely worth popping in for a pint if you are in the area. And they were very nice about letting me use their landline to call for a taxi, and letting me borrow an iron. But overall I cannot recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
JohnKnights, Manager at Unicorn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2011

We don't recognise all the complaints of this customer. The couple who did not have a key to their room left without it and came back very late. However, we knew that they were with other people who had taken their key.
As explained in another review of the same weekend, we now have full instructions about breakfast timings in the room and apologise for any inconvenience.

Reviewed 22 August 2011

We were really looking forward to staying at the unicorn inn but unfortunately the B&B didn't live up to the website. Having booked a double room, we were disappointed to arrive to find it had been put in their system as a single. It did get sorted out but only by chance as another guest had cancelled at the last minute.
No-one had informed us of the timings for breakfast and when going down at 9.30am were told it was not available and were given little alternative options. We were eventually (and begrudgingly) offered a basic continental breakfast but were made to feel at though we were an inconvenience (they were too busy getting ready for sunday lunch service?). This was very disappointing as we were very much looking forward to a hot english breakfast. Another guest had attempted to obtain breakfast at 8.30 am to no avail. After some more questioning we were told hot breakfast was only on from 9-9.30 which in itself is quite ridiculous. The rooms were ok but a little shabby.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

We are very sorry for the inconvenience but originally the customer had asked for 1 double and 2 singles and we were only able to offer 2 doubles and one single. However on the day we had someone else ask to convert their single to a double so we took the chance to change one of this customer's doubles to a single to save them money - but when they arrived there were two people for that room. We were sufferng from our booking system at this time too we just did our best to sort out the problems.
Unfortunately this customer left the Unicorn soon after checking in before we had a chance to discuss breakfast times and came back very late.
To ensure this does not happen again we are now providing full written details of breakfast time in the rooms.

Reviewed 20 August 2011

Stayed 2 nights Aug 17 &18. Very friendly & helpful hostess & staff. Ate in restaurant on both nights, food was excellent as was breakfast.
Nice clean accommodation.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
JohnKnights, General Manager at Unicorn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2011

Thank you for your kind words about your experience at the Unicvorn Inn. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 14 August 2011

Clearly there is a problem with their booking system and late rooms. We were let down badly, at the last minute - tho to be fair Saskia did try her hardest to sort it out. Nevertheless, the stress really ruined our holiday and I would hate anyone else to go through what we did!.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank claire g

We have had a period where we have had real problems with our booking system. Not really sure why but it seems to be have been sorted out now. We suspect in this particular case that someone noted the booking without taking the details but I stand responsible and in this situation did all I could - but am truly sorry. Thank you for the feedback and hopefully you will give us another try - book directly with me.

Reviewed 6 August 2011

Pub is a nondescript white building in the town, on the main thoroughfare. Dead lavender plants in wall baskets gave the outside a run-down look but the bar inside must have been done up recently and looks good in a 17th century inn. We got a great welcome from the guy behind the bar and no disapproving looks as we spent time deciding what we wanted to drink.Nice selection of real ales with some well known favourites. Lots of space around the bar which filled up as the (Friday) evening progressed. Bar clientele was almost all 'older' but families came to eat in the early evening.

Bar / restaraunt menu was impressive (Gastropub +) but the food wasn't. From a crab risotto that tried to break teeth on bits of shell and contained inedible crab innards to a well-hung rump steak that was completely tasteless, nothing had flavour .... until I tried the sauce near the steak.I've never had my tongue stripped of tastebuds by Worcestershire sauce before but this sauce attempted it. Dousing the fire with onion rings failed after the rings were inedible too. Cloyingly sweet onion rings were a new experience and, if they'd been described on the menu as such, I never would have ordered them. My explanation, to the attendant waitress, of why I'd left the onion rings, would be "passed to the chef" but there was no apparent concern. I decided that dessert was a course best left in the kitchen.

The B&B rooms were old-fashioned but very clean, respectable and perfectly adequete for the price. I'm sure that a 'refurb' to the same high quality as the bar is imminent but don't wait before visiting. Just don't want decaf coffee or more than one teabag in your room.

Breakfast was excellent, although the sauce made an appearance again, disguised as a mushroom. It looked suspiciously like the mushrooms that were served with the steak. Mushroom ignored, the remainder of the Full English was lovely.

All in all, it's a great pub with a nice garden and value-for-money rooms. Just eat your evening meal somewhere else, like the Co-Op opposite which offers sandwiches.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

We are devastated by your comments – even though you say a lot of nice things too. We are so sorry about your experience with the food but that weekend we had an emergency chef in because our regular chef was taken ill. However, I was not aware of your dissatisfaction until just before you left. The inexperienced waitress should have immediately informed the manager of the complaint when it was made – so that action could have been taken at the time. We have introduced instructions to make sure that happens in future. Thank you for the feedback and hope you give our restaurant one more chance.

Reviewed 25 July 2011

We stayed just one night with a couple of friends. Right from the moment we arrived, Saskia and her team were welcoming and very obliging. The refurbished ground floor makes for a thoroughly pleasant bar area, with a choice of tables, comfy sofas or "perching" areas. There is also a lovely garden area outside. We ate in the restaurant and the food was excellent. The bar and restaurant were staffed by young folk, who were all, without exception, polite, helpful and efficient. We had to leave quite early in the morning, but this was no trouble, and our breakfast was ready and served with a smile. The rooms were comfortable (nice touch with the pub's own toiletries in little gift bags). The shower could definitely do with more power, but apart from that I'd say the whole experience was excellent value for money and we would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you for your kind words recommending The Unicorn Inn.
We will certainly be looking to increase shower power when we upgrade the rooms - thanks for the feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Deddington
Deddington Arms Hotel
Best Western Banbury House Hotel
Castle at Edgehill
Castle at Edgehill
#9 of 36 in Banbury

Been to Unicorn Inn? Share your experiences!