“Pudding Face - Excellent!”

The Crown & Tuns - Puddingface, The Pie Place
Ranked #1 of 9 Restaurants in Deddington
Price range: US$12 - US$21
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Welcome to PuddingFace Do you have a penchant for pies? Puddingface offers a whole host of pies including traditional meat and vegetarian, fish and game, as well as some less conventional recipes. All Homemade!Lunch times bookings are taken Monday to Saturday 12-2pm and Sunday 12 to 2.30 Please call the pub to book. No evening reservations/bookings taken, come along have a drink at the bar, let our staff know you wish to eat and we will seat you as soon as a table comes available or will endeavour to keep you informed on how long the wait is likely to be.Largest single table we are able to accommodate is for 8 people due to the size of our pub and the nature of our business baking pies to order we are not really suitable for larger groups. If you insist ...Larger groups will have to be treated as individual smaller tables and your food order taken as they come available during the evening.Due to licence restrictions young children (under 5) can not remain on the premises after 7.30PM and all children (under 14) past 9pm Telephones are manned pub opening hours (not office hours)
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I have to write and say how excellent this place is, I have only experienced excellent service and the Pie's are fantastic, I don't think I have ever had room to manage a dessert! The lamb Hotpot and the Port, Celery and stilton were delicious. My better half had the Vension on week and the peppered steak the next - superb. You are not able to book a reservation however you won't wait too long, and believe me it's worth it. Take a seat at the bar and enjoy a drink whilst you wait.

Take a look at the new seating area outside wonderful all we need now is a summer.

I would highly recommend this place, Situated on New Street, Deddington.

Date of visit: June 2012
antlouhay, Manager at The Crown & Tuns - Puddingface, The Pie Place, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2012

Thank you for your comments it makes all the hard work worth while
regards Kathy,Anton and all at Puddingface the pie place

Reviewed 12 June 2012

Was recommended this pub for an alternative sunday lunch, and what a great recommendation. We were a party of 5 with 4 selecting a variety of pies and one taking a traditional sunday roast and we were all blown away by the food. The pies were evidently homemade and boy were they tasty. The sunday roast wasn't half bad either. Portion Size - I'm a very healthy eater and they didn't disappoint. Some of us managed to squeeze in a pudding which was equally tasty, that apple pie was HUGE and went down very well, bread & butter pud was fantastic! Very friendly staff and overall an excellent atmosphere and very reasonable pricing :)

Date of visit: June 2012
1  Thank Paul K
antlouhay, Owner at The Crown & Tuns - Puddingface, The Pie Place, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2012

WOW................... Thank you

Reviewed 18 May 2012

I am writing this review to express my views on my experience at the pie place.

I have visited on many occasions over the last 2 years, and have called in for lunches and dinners with my partner and with family. I have always been welcomed with a warm smile from the staff and friendly atmosphere. The selection of pie's has always been great and you never really know what yummy options will be on the menu. I have always enjoyed the beef and horse radish or fish pie. Unfortunately I was diagnosed with celiac disease recently and thought my favourite pie place would be off limits but a huge relief came when I discovered the owner also has a wheat intolerance and can totally understand my situation. Not only can they provide a option but I can fully trust the perpetration of the dishes is up to standard.

They are always more than willing to make something up special on request in advance so I can continue the experience. If you can polish off the generous size portion of pie the puddings are always worth getting fat for!

Hope this helps you visit a great place, don't hang about or the pies will be all gone.

Hope to see you in there
Lee

Date of visit: May 2012

Thank you Lee, I am glad that not all Pie is off limits
regards
Anton

Reviewed 18 May 2012

We have been eating at this establishment for the last 3 years and have loved it. We have never had a bad meal or bad service - everything has always been excellent! The pies are huge and we have noticed over the years the chips and veggies portions have decreased which is good because you can't possibly eat it all and we always felt a bit wasteful. They have a policy of no children after a certain hour. As parents ourselves we can understand some parent's frustration at this rule, but we support it. We appreciate the opportunity to have a meal together without the 'enthusiasm' of children.

Date of visit: April 2012
Reviewed 17 May 2012

We recently visited this pub for the first time on the recommendation of a family member.
You are not able to book a table so we turned up early (18:00) on a Wednesday night and were seated immediately in the restaurant area. By 19:00 the restaurant was about half full so getting there early did help.

There is car parking on either side of the road in New Street in Deddington.

There is a wide choice of pies (fillings and pastry type) and some other meals if you are not keen on pies, but it is mainly pies. You can have mash or chips with your pie and you also get vegetables as well. I agree with one reviewer that the one portion of vegetables between four didn't look much at first but there are vegetables within some of the pies as well and once we had cleaned our plates, we couldn't have actually eaten much more anyway! I guess it saves on wastage plus you can order more if you wish.

We did try the desserts and although not all of the advertised puddings were available, what was on the menu was very nice and good value for money. The pies themselves are not cheap but they are very good quality so you get what you pay for.

The service was quick and professional and the atmosphere of the restaurant is good. The decoration is quirky and every time you look around you will see something new! Love it.

We will recommend this place to friends and family. It's a fair journey away from us to be a regular haunt, but we will be back when the occasion demands.

Date of visit: May 2012