“A Good Lunch”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Since it first opened Clau del Loup has struggled to find its place in the restaurants of the Lot valley. The location (just outside Preyssac) is ideal and the building is splendid, especially when it is possible to eat outside. Now it seems to have abandoned the over fussy, over complex menus. There is a set menu for 20 euros, with a carte and more expensive menus if this does not suit. The prices includes an amuse bouche and wine. The food is well cooked and the service pleasant and well paced. We had been recommended to go back after several visits where food and service were patchy. We will certainly return again. This is well worth a visit and edges ahead of some of the local competition due to the ambience.

6  Thank ABC_1956

Reviewed 4 October 2013

We were treated to lunch here by friends who had enjoyed meals here previously. A beautiful house, well tended grounds and a picture perfect terrace for lunch on a sunny day with a sky to match the swimming pool. Unfortunately the menu du jour of soup and pork did not appeal on such a warm day and we felt obliged to launch into the a la carte menu, which, with drinks, came at an eye watring price for our hostess. The fish main course was over cooked monkfish, prawns and mussels, dry and tasteless; had a suspicion of frozen and/or re-heated components. What a shame and I should like to try this restaurant once more in the hopes that the chef was on holiday.

4  Thank CookiebirdScotland
Reviewed 21 July 2013

The Clau del Loup is located among the rolling green landscapes of the beautiful Lot region, and its stone facade and peaceful shady gardens make for a stunning setting.

The restaurant is decorated in an elegant fashion, the style quite Italian, with a display of antique perfume bottles and modern art, crisp white tablecloths and minimal table decor, prizing the food as the main attraction.

I chose a typical aperitif of the Lot region, a 'Fénelon', which is a mixture of the dark Cahors wine, a creme de cassis and liqueur de noisette. I would highly recommend it as it was a surprisingly delicious melange and not too sweet, which is what I was slightly apprehensive about.

The waiter was very attentive and willing to explain the menu, however we felt he was overly stiff and uptight which made the ambiance a little uncomfortable seeing as we were the only ones in the restaurant. Later on 3 more tables were filled, but we found the atmosphere unfortunately quite pretentious. Another critique would be the music, which was a mixture of classical and opera- we heard the same few songs over and over- a suggestion would be to have a few more CD's to play!

However, the main attraction of a restaurant is its food, and on this I cannot fault the Clau del Loup. I particularly appreciated the small touches such as the delicious olives and bread, as well as the refreshing carrot puree which was bought before and between courses which was very attentive.

Do leave some room for a dessert, as these are particularly delicious (and I am not usually a dessert person). The Charoltte au fraises was my choice. Bon appetit!

5  Thank sunbear16
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Superb setting. Restaurant very good value at lunchtime during the week. I would not hesitate to eat there again but, as I have a limited budget, I would avoid going in the evening.

5  Thank AtelierdeLaRose
Reviewed 23 January 2012

A very nice restaurant on the south side of the River Lot close to Prayssac. 4 course lunch with wine is 18€. The gardens are well tended.